Car Wash - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Wirenuting
  • 1 Post By wcord
  • 1 Post By eddy current
  • 1 Post By Skywire
  • 1 Post By darren79

Old 01-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 628
Default Car Wash

Working on a car storage facility that has one bay that is a car wash. All they will have is curtains to close of the area when they are washing cars.

Talking to the inspector about this he mentioned section 22, most of it make sense except 22-302. I assume I have to worry about these rules for my conduit.

A few questions regarding these rules
How to arrange your conduit to allow it to drain and what type of fittings allow moisture to drain out.

I will be using either PVC or EMT in the car wash section which has a typical qdeck ceiling. What is the easiest way to maintain the 12mm of clearance that is required.
darren79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,504

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren79 View Post
Working on a car storage facility that has one bay that is a car wash. All they will have is curtains to close of the area when they are washing cars.

Talking to the inspector about this he mentioned section 22, most of it make sense except 22-302. I assume I have to worry about these rules for my conduit.

A few questions regarding these rules
How to arrange your conduit to allow it to drain and what type of fittings allow moisture to drain out.

I will be using either PVC or EMT in the car wash section which has a typical qdeck ceiling. What is the easiest way to maintain the 12mm of clearance that is required.
Arranged to drain means not level and don't create plumbing P-traps, give the water a direction to go.
Don't seal the LB's water tight, same as the boxes. I use compression fittings as it stops most of the water that is over sprayed onto the EMT. What little gets in, will drain away..
MechanicalDVR and circuitman1 like this.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,798

Use a TB or Tee in the low spot on a fitting, with a suitable RE and an ECD15 drain in the bottom opening. Done it lots in the oil and gas world for vertical runs where a larger temperature difference can occur, or before they enter a warm location.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Use a TB or Tee in the low spot on a fitting, with a suitable RE and an ECD15 drain in the bottom opening. Done it lots in the oil and gas world for vertical runs where a larger temperature difference can occur, or before they enter a warm location.
First time I ordered one here in Wpg , the wholesaler had no idea what a drain/breather was lol
glen1971 likes this.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren79 View Post

This opens another question that might be relevant. 22-302 relates directly to conduit, not EMT. If you're using EMT it will need 22-200 b) - be rated for wet locations.

That said, i'm not involved with part1 in that way often, perhaps the book mixes EMT and Conduit as well.
bob_says_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,615

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcord View Post
First time I ordered one here in Wpg , the wholesaler had no idea what a drain/breather was lol
Give him something easy.... Try asking for a sill plate.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
There would be no point in asking for one of those. I don't think anybody in Canada, specially in Manitoba, would be caught dead using service entrance cable.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:40 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post

Last edited by wcord; 01-20-2019 at 03:07 PM.
wcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 7,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_says_hello View Post

This opens another question that might be relevant. 22-302 relates directly to conduit, not EMT. If you're using EMT it will need 22-200 b) - be rated for wet locations.

That said, i'm not involved with part1 in that way often, perhaps the book mixes EMT and Conduit as well.
Good point. EMT and ENT are not considered conduit although on a job site that is what everyone calls it
bob_says_hello likes this.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 218

You can use regular EMT but compression fittings in Ontario for such secnarios
billyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
Good point. EMT and ENT are not considered conduit although on a job site that is what everyone calls it
There's quite a few odd terminology misuses, definitely complicates discussions between type of people. I always have to clarify when someone tells me to not worry about something because it's low-voltage... :-)

As long as the designer and the orderer knows the difference, that's hopefully all that matters.
bob_says_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:25 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2

Here in Saskatchewan there is a Saskpower interpretation for rule 12-1404 b.

No EMT in car wash bays because of corrosive chemicals used. I have seen some badly corroded components in car wash bays.
electricguy likes this.
Skywire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:14 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 628

Simple fix, RFIed the owner and he deleted the car wash.
Funksparky likes this.
darren79 is offline   Reply With Quote