Cathedral Ceiling LED Options n - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Old 07-15-2019, 08:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81
Question Cathedral Ceiling LED Options n

I am curious as to what is the go to LED light when it comes to cathedral ceilings with insulation contact?

Do you guys find any issues with using the non pivoting style or should the pivoting style be used so the light is actually projected down towards the floor?

I am also curious as to what guys are doing to address the code change that required a neutral in every box that has a switch, particularly where 3 ways are installed? Are you running 14/4 AC90?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,543

You’re likely going to put in cans. That means either sloped ceiling cans or a normal can with a gimbal trim if it gives you enough angle. You can try the Lotus gimbals. Maybe.

Good luck with the 4 wire discussion. It kind of got beat to death here already.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #3
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 180

The most recent one I needed something off the shelf and went with Juno new work cans and their gimbal trims. If I had more lead time available, I likely would have gone the Lotus route.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 09:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
You’re likely going to put in cans. That means either sloped ceiling cans or a normal can with a gimbal trim if it gives you enough angle. You can try the Lotus gimbals. Maybe.

Good luck with the 4 wire discussion. It kind of got beat to death here already.
I kinda figured that regarding the neutral at every switch.

I actually was looking at the spec sheets for the angled potlight cans, I am just not sure yet as to how much depth I have in the ceiling. So far the roof has not been framed up and the drawings don't show much detail.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #5
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 198

I've used light liteline products (Juno) for the cathedral ceilings. They work great.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 11:09 PM   #6
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_electrician View Post

I am also curious as to what guys are doing to address the code change that required a neutral in every box that has a switch, particularly where 3 ways are installed? Are you running 14/4 AC90?
Feed the first switch with 2 wire, use a 3 wire between switches and then a 2 wire to the light. No 4 wire needed.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:07 AM   #7

Ever have one of those days where your mind shuts off???

You are absolutely correct. Not sure why I was thinking a 4 wire when there would already be a neutral in the box. (If the circuit was ran this way)
mr_electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,534

I've used 4-wire for dead end 3 ways in the past. Most of the time it just easier to feed one end of the switches, and load the other.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,275

Halo's even cheaper cousin "Commercial Electric" brand makes and sells gimbaled wafer style lights at Home Depot. Beware- they are thicker than the usual 1/2" depth wafer lights so if there is a truss up there above the rock you are in trouble. They are about an inch or an inch quarter or so deep. Or more. I just pulled one out of the box one day and glanced at it to see how they looked. Not bad incidentally .
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,549

I don't like the look of gimbal rings in a sloped ceiling. If you tilt them too much, the top side sticks out of the ceiling and looks ugly. For new construction, I usually go with a sloped ceiling can, white baffle trim and a screw in LED R lamp. If the ceilings are 2x6, I'll go with a regular 4" can and an LED eyeball trim. This is still not my favorite look, but eyeballs have a finished look on all sides at steeper angles then gimbals.
If money is no object, Juno slope LED cans and trims. They are stupid expensive though. 3-4x the cost of an incandescent can and LED lamp.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote