Is this a code compliant install? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Kevin_Essiambre
  • 2 Post By B-Nabs
  • 2 Post By Funksparky

Old 05-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 190
Default Is this a code compliant install?

Using teck90 copper indoors from the main panel to the garage into the back of a 6x6 box. From the box use EMT about 10-12 feet to a car charger receptacle but not splicing in the box. I want to just remove the Teck casing and casing around the conductors and push the wires through the conduit.
I know that if the T90 wires within the Teck are not labelled, it may be an issue with inspection. I could use a plastic box to avoid using a bonding lug.
What say you all?
newbie44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 146

Why not just teck cable all the way?

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2019, 08:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,698

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie44 View Post
Using teck90 copper indoors from the main panel to the garage into the back of a 6x6 box. From the box use EMT about 10-12 feet to a car charger receptacle but not splicing in the box. I want to just remove the Teck casing and casing around the conductors and push the wires through the conduit.
I know that if the T90 wires within the Teck are not labelled, it may be an issue with inspection. I could use a plastic box to avoid using a bonding lug.
What say you all?
Teck has XLPE RW90 insulation on the wires. What labels are you thinking of? The neutral being identified? Use a piece of heat shrink on both ends, just don't cover up all of the ratings on the wire itself. I've taken miles of armour off and ran the wires inside a piece of pipe, such as some lighting, and I've never had any issues..

Are you concerned with mechanical protection? Run a piece of rigid and run the teck through it?
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 01:33 AM   #4
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

You're not supposed to strip cable and run the conductors in place of building wire if those inner conductors don't have markings on them indicating voltage & temperature etc, however if you're just stripping part of a cable to continue it in a raceway without a splice, I've never heard of there being an issue with it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
glen1971 and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:08 AM   #5
Conductor Protector

Rewards Points: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
Why not just teck cable all the way?

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

Sometimes coming through a wall and then turning could look pretty ugly with teck or ACWU. I have used a box, come through the back and then stripped off enough armour to continue down a pipe a ways with no issues. I think it’s fine but I have spliced the bare bonding conductor onto a piece of green RW90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glen1971 and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Funksparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 146

Yes, this installation is code compliant. There should be no issue with stripping the Teck, entering into a box and running the bare bonding conductor to your receptacle provided you wrap the ground screw on your 6X6,or whatever.

I did a feeder for a house from a garage pretty much this exact same way with no issue. I had to bring the Teck90 through a LB after it came of the ground so it would transfer to the house nicely. Duct Seal in the LB which went through to EMT to the panel.
psgama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:31 PM   #7
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,469

I have run Teck or ACWU through the box without stripping it. I run it through a PVC pipe from underground and through a hole in the back of the box. It’s just cosmetic to make things look nice.

I wouldn’t have a problem stripping it back and pushing it through some EMT, though.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote