commercial oven - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeFL
  • 3 Post By karl_r
  • 1 Post By Gnome

Old 02-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 378
Default commercial oven

I have to wire a 3phase pizza oven and was wondering if a disconnect is a must. I've checked CEC and couldn't find anything.
Not sure what 26-744(1) means by asking for only one point of connection for supply.
thanks
karl_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #2
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_r View Post
I have to wire a 3phase pizza oven and was wondering if a disconnect is a must. I've checked CEC and couldn't find anything.

Not sure what 26-744(1) means by asking for only one point of connection for supply.

thanks
I think 26-744 (1) is referring to having more than one circuit powering an appliance. (Think of an electric stove. They don't want you to have 2 cords to power it.). I could be mistaken on this one, someone else will chime in soon.

What you're looking for is probably 26-746 (2) appliances exceeding 1500 watts. I could be mistaken on this too.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
karl_r (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,520

No disconnect required
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,572

Take a look around a commercial kitchen, I don't see any disconnects. Quite often a lot of appliances are stand alone lined up in an island.

Tim.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,879

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbug View Post
Take a look around a commercial kitchen, I don't see any disconnects. Quite often a lot of appliances are stand alone lined up in an island.

Tim.
Many are plug-in. I have some appliances I put a dryer cord on (technically a field mod I guess).
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,572

I have a Garland in my kitchen, it's fed from a 100A brker.

Tim.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,520

They can be hardwired as well, no disconnect required.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,998

Those things are high maintenance because of all the heat and the grease impacting the circuit boards. Might be an upsell opportunity to make it easier for the service guy to service it and get the restaurant back up and running.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post

What you're looking for is probably 26-746 (2) appliances exceeding 1500 watts. I could be mistaken on this too.

there isn't too much info about commercial appliances in the code and it's confusing.
I'll just call the inspector and will do it the way he likes it.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:11 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 759

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Many are plug-in. I have some appliances I put a dryer cord on (technically a field mod I guess).
The DRT cable the dryer cord is made of is only listed for use on ranges and dryers. It's better (if a heck of a lot more expensive) to use SOOW and a cord cap.

Now that I think of it I'm surprised somemone doesn't make 2m whips with straight blade molded ends in 30, 40, and 50A sizes. Considering what they charge for a cord cap alone you'd think there would be a significant market if the price of a dryer/range cord is any sort of guidline.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #11
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
The DRT cable the dryer cord is made of is only listed for use on ranges and dryers. It's better (if a heck of a lot more expensive) to use SOOW and a cord cap.

Now that I think of it I'm surprised somemone doesn't make 2m whips with straight blade molded ends in 30, 40, and 50A sizes. Considering what they charge for a cord cap alone you'd think there would be a significant market if the price of a dryer/range cord is any sort of guidline.
I've used dryer and stove cords on countless things... doesn't mean it's right though.

Most common we use them on is construction heater adapters. (Which is a totally separate code violation when using the stove plug)

Old 02-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 120

Interestingly local isolation is required here in the UK for maintenance purposes, but most people do not want ugly isolators everywhere.

If I do pass the exam I wonder if I will still consider them for the purpose of ease or lose them as its not a code requirement.

Its nice to read these forums and see that things are making much more sense now!
cprfenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #13

Interestingly local isolation is required here in the UK for maintenance purposes, but most people do not want ugly isolators everywhere.

If I do pass the exam I wonder if I will still consider them for the purpose of ease or lose them as its not a code requirement.

Its nice to read these forums and see that things are making much more sense now!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprfenom View Post

do you guys also have a 4 yr apprenticeship in UK followed by a not so easy exam?
Old 02-24-2019, 04:46 AM   #15

We have a 1 year basic and 3 year normal apprenticeships.

Our learning is classroom and site based with exams carried out during the apprenticeship.

We then have a portfolio to complete with evidence based site works.