Devices near hot tub - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum


Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Incognito
  • 1 Post By emtnut
  • 2 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By electricguy
  • 2 Post By CTshockhazard
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 11:22 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 80
Rewards Points: 170
Default Devices near hot tub

hey I am pricing out this hot tub installation. The existing outlet on the garage is closer than 1.5m so I am going to remove it and put a blank plate on it but does the light fixture require gfci protection because its within 10ft of the pool?
newbie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-10-2019, 12:27 AM   #2
RSE Master Electrician
 
Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 472
Rewards Points: 602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie44 View Post
hey I am pricing out this hot tub installation. The existing outlet on the garage is closer than 1.5m so I am going to remove it and put a blank plate on it but does the light fixture require gfci protection because its within 10ft of the pool?

Yes.

68-000
2) A pool shall be deemed to include
c) spas and hot tubs

68-066
6) Luminaires installed below, or within 3 m of, the pool surface or walls, and not suitably separated from the pool area by a fence, wall, or other permanent barrier, shall be electrically protected by a Class A ground fault circuit interrupter.
newbie44 likes this.
__________________
2018 Ontario Electrical Code
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 80
Rewards Points: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Yes.

68-000
2) A pool shall be deemed to include
c) spas and hot tubs

68-066
6) Luminaires installed below, or within 3 m of, the pool surface or walls, and not suitably separated from the pool area by a fence, wall, or other permanent barrier, shall be electrically protected by a Class A ground fault circuit interrupter.

Thanks! In regards to the outlet being so close (within 4 feet) would it pass if I GFCI it? I'm wondering if there is a rule to allow it because it's existing. There is no other outlet in this yard.
newbie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-10-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
Band Member
 
emtnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 5,706
Rewards Points: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie44 View Post
Thanks! In regards to the outlet being so close (within 4 feet) would it pass if I GFCI it? I'm wondering if there is a rule to allow it because it's existing. There is no other outlet in this yard.
Did you try reading thru sec 68 ? It's a pretty small section !

If that's the only receptacle out there and you remove it, that wouldn't be good
newbie44 likes this.
__________________
_____________________________________
Your Mother was a hamster, and your father smells of Elderberries. ... Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 80
Rewards Points: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
Did you try reading thru sec 68 ? It's a pretty small section !

If that's the only receptacle out there and you remove it, that wouldn't be good

Thanks. I did read through it thoroughly, just thought maybe there was some bulletin allowing existing to stay. I think I need to remove or cap this existing one and I price to add one 10 or more feet away.
newbie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #6
Band Member
 
emtnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 5,706
Rewards Points: 790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie44 View Post
Thanks. I did read through it thoroughly, just thought maybe there was some bulletin allowing existing to stay. I think I need to remove or cap this existing one and I price to add one 10 or more feet away.
That, or have a wall built . No exceptions that I'm aware of.
newbie44 and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
__________________
_____________________________________
Your Mother was a hamster, and your father smells of Elderberries. ... Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
newbie44 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 80
Rewards Points: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
That, or have a wall built . No exceptions that I'm aware of.
This really sucks for the homeowner because the garage was fed with nmwu 14/3. In order to gfci the light at the panel, i'm going to need a double pole gfci breaker! Honestly, the hot tub guys should have made the client aware of this issue. They do this everyday!
newbie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
Beam Me Up Scotty
 
Kevin_Essiambre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 645
Rewards Points: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie44 View Post
Thanks! In regards to the outlet being so close (within 4 feet) would it pass if I GFCI it? I'm wondering if there is a rule to allow it because it's existing. There is no other outlet in this yard.
If you can get them to move the hot tub a few feet, that would be the best soloutuon to the receptacle issue.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
__________________
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!"
Kevin_Essiambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kamloops BC
Posts: 1,892
Rewards Points: 2,952
Default

  1. Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbie44 View Post
    This really sucks for the homeowner because the garage was fed with nmwu 14/3. In order to gfci the light at the panel, i'm going to need a double pole gfci breaker! Honestly, the hot tub guys should have made the client aware of this issue. They do this everyday!
They are more interested in their 4000.00 sale and leave it up the the Electrical contractor to tell the customer
RRF likes this.
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #10
Dope-less Hope Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 371
Rewards Points: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie44 View Post
This really sucks for the homeowner because the garage was fed with nmwu 14/3. In order to gfci the light at the panel, i'm going to need a double pole gfci breaker! Honestly, the hot tub guys should have made the client aware of this issue. They do this everyday!
Can you install a GFCI outlet between the switch and the fixture?
__________________
“Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
Dan the electricman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
Sentimental Mental
 
CTshockhazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 957
Rewards Points: 1,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricguy View Post
They are more interested in their 4000.00 sale and leave it up the the Electrical contractor to tell the customer

They will often even go so far as to say that the electrical should "only be a few hundred"
__________________
.
__________________________________________________

I have the attention span of a
CTshockhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Isolated Ground Devices Eestrada94 General Electrical Discussion 16 02-07-2018 08:53 AM
i need help experience of pond pumps, or of solar powered devices? hantrongtai1 General Electrical Discussion 4 07-30-2017 09:49 AM
Contacts of control devices (HW) JasonCo General Electrical Discussion 15 10-22-2016 03:54 PM
Wiring devices for aluminum wiring. NitroTurkey Residential Electrical Forum 5 03-20-2016 06:36 PM
stocking devices joebeadg Residential Electrical Forum 31 02-20-2016 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com