Digital OESC - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree22Likes

Old 01-11-2019, 11:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 283
Default Digital OESC

Inquiring about if anyone has purchased the new OESC in either pdf or electronic format? Was going to get PDF, but wondering if this allows cut and paste option? I teach part time at college and want to endure all my notes are up to speed. With previous formats I was able to, but I know they’re clamping down on some of these options. Thx in advance!!
Judoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 12:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,684

Can those offering it for sale answer that question? I'd think that'd be the most reliable source.
MechanicalDVR likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:53 AM   #3
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
Inquiring about if anyone has purchased the new OESC in either pdf or electronic format? Was going to get PDF, but wondering if this allows cut and paste option? I teach part time at college and want to endure all my notes are up to speed. With previous formats I was able to, but I know they‚Äre clamping down on some of these options. Thx in advance!!
I might be buying one for the company this week... PDF usually you can copy and paste the content. That's the way the old one was for me anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019, 02:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,684

snipping tool if nothing else
splatz, Bird dog and jelhill like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
I might be buying one for the company this week... PDF usually you can copy and paste the content. That's the way the old one was for me anyway.
You can put all kinds of restrictions on a PDF - no printing, no cut and paste, etc. etc. I am surprised code books weren't locked up more.

Then again there's not much they can do when it's so easy to scan in a print copy...
Old 01-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
You can put all kinds of restrictions on a PDF - no printing, no cut and paste, etc. etc. I am surprised code books weren't locked up more.

Then again there's not much they can do when it's so easy to scan in a print copy...
Especially since you can get a loose leaf version.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post

And I know a guy, who has a friend, that can remove those PDF protections...
CoolWill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
Can those offering it for sale answer that question? I'd think that'd be the most reliable source.
Here is the reply from CSA.
" The Ontario Electrical Safety Code (OESC) is copyrighted by the Electrical Safety Authority with a license from CSA.
You would need to request permission from both the ESA and CSA to reproduce any material (clauses, tables, etc.) from the OESC.
Neither organization provides blanket permission for use of this document. You would need to provide a list of the specific items that you would like to reproduce.
If you are looking for the Ontario amendments they are available as a view only document on the ESA website.".
Judoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
Here is the reply from CSA.
" The Ontario Electrical Safety Code (OESC) is copyrighted by the Electrical Safety Authority with a license from CSA.
You would need to request permission from both the ESA and CSA to reproduce any material (clauses, tables, etc.) from the OESC.
Neither organization provides blanket permission for use of this document. You would need to provide a list of the specific items that you would like to reproduce.
If you are looking for the Ontario amendments they are available as a view only document on the ESA website.".
Just do what we do, call the AHJ and have them send it to you. The inspectors would rather you have it and perform compliant work, then give you a deficiency. At least that's the relationship we have fostered with all the inspectors that we have dealt from one end of the province to the other.

And if I recall, the PDF version includes access to the bulletins this time around.
spinninwheels likes this.

BRINGING RESPECT TO THE TRADES IS IMPERATIVE. DO YOUR PART!
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:32 AM   #10
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,712

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
And I know a guy, who has a friend, that can remove those PDF protections...
Those protections only work if the PDF program cooperates...
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 7,520

Paper copy is now available.
Attached Thumbnails
Digital OESC-6285aaef-bf1f-4ee3-942e-f38492d20627_1549312250140.jpg  

eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 16

Interesting to see that the hard copy isn’t coil/spiral bound. Did they switch to thinner paper to reduce the overall thickness of the book?

Wonder how that’ll hold up in use...
Bleddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleddyn View Post
Interesting to see that the hard copy isnít coil/spiral bound. Did they switch to thinner paper to reduce the overall thickness of the book?

Wonder how thatíll hold up in use...
We will see how it lasts but I can tell you the CEC spiral bound version of the 2018 is terrible. I have a class of 18 students right now that just started beginning of January. Each student has one (2018 CEC) and a few of them are falling apart already. The book is just too big now to work in a spiral bind IMO.
RRF and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,840

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
We will see how it lasts but I can tell you the CEC spiral bound version of the 2018 is terrible. I have a class of 18 students right now that just started beginning of January. Each student has one (2018 CEC) and a few of them are falling apart already. The book is just too big now to work in a spiral bind IMO.
That is an interesting observation. I would think the spiral bound would be better, not worse then a spine backed book.

Cheers
John
Electric Dave likes this.

Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
That is an interesting observation. I would think the spiral bound would be better, not worse then a spine backed book.

Cheers
John
Yes and they used to be better. I have some old ones that have taken serious abuse floating around in a service truck for years etc.

But the new 2018 is a much bigger book (over 900 pages) and the spiral binding seems weaker than past books. Again we will have to wait and see how this new OESC holds up
Old 02-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 18

Yes. Ideally, you could print the entire book out if you had the paper and ink. but I know that you can highlight, copy and paste the PDF.
sumofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #17
NDC

Rewards Points: 2,144

In school I have to say spiral bound is better. it's much easier to flip through sections which is really important when writing an exam or text. In the field however, I think a non spiral bound would last longer and take up less room.
Now who can tell me where to get a pdf version of the new oesc because Im sick of paying for things?
NDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC View Post
In school I have to say spiral bound is better. it's much easier to flip through sections which is really important when writing an exam or text. In the field however, I think a non spiral bound would last longer and take up less room.
Now who can tell me where to get a pdf version of the new oesc because Im sick of paying for things?
I agree about the spiral being better but the new 2018 is too big for spiral. Or they need to use a better quality one.

As for the PDF, according to @Borgi, apparently all true Canadians know exactly where to find one for the CEC. Maybe he knows where to find an OESC too?
Old 02-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
I agree about the spiral being better but the new 2018 is too big for spiral. Or they need to use a better quality one. ...
I couldn't agree more. I was at college this past September and we were using the 2018 CEC. I'm not a guy who is hard on books, but my code book took a beating, while all the rest of my textbooks still looked brand new when I was finished with them. It's just too thick, and too heavy for the weak binding they're using. I actually wrote to CSA Group to complain about it - but doubt they even read that sort of feedback.

My concern with the new hard copy OSEC (and I won't know till I get my hands on one), is how well this form of binding will perform when you're trying to get a still relatively thick book to open and sit flat. That's murder on a glued type of spine.
eddy current likes this.
Bleddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleddyn View Post
I couldn't agree more. I was at college this past September and we were using the 2018 CEC. I'm not a guy who is hard on books, but my code book took a beating, while all the rest of my textbooks still looked brand new when I was finished with them. It's just too thick, and too heavy for the weak binding they're using. I actually wrote to CSA Group to complain about it - but doubt they even read that sort of feedback.

My concern with the new hard copy OSEC (and I won't know till I get my hands on one), is how well this form of binding will perform when you're trying to get a still relatively thick book to open and sit flat. That's murder on a glued type of spine.
And the college around here sells them for more than $300!!! You can order one direct from CSA but it takes time with delivery. many donít have it before school starts so you end up having to get it from the college book store on your first day.