Disconnect type for 60A car charger - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By VELOCI3
  • 1 Post By newbie44
  • 2 Post By Navyguy
  • 2 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By The_Modifier
  • 2 Post By Kevin_Essiambre
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By Navyguy
  • 1 Post By billyhunter

Old 08-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 230
Default Disconnect type for 60A car charger

Would it be considered a bad idea to use one of those Eaton outdoor 60A A/C disconnect for a 60A car charger circuit at 48 amps continuous load?
I see a lot of these Teslas installed at 60 amps with this pull out type disconnect.
Which disconnect do you use instead for 60 amps?
newbie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie44 View Post
Would it be considered a bad idea to use one of those Eaton outdoor 60A A/C disconnect for a 60A car charger circuit at 48 amps continuous load?
I see a lot of these Teslas installed at 60 amps with this pull out type disconnect.
Which disconnect do you use instead for 60 amps?

It’s rated for 60 amps and it is a means of disconnect
VELOCI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,393

It's a non issue. If the equipment you're installing needs to be shut off frequently with this disconnect, I'd put one in with a handle, or use one of those Eaton black plastic 60a weatherproof "not a breaker" disconnects.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELOCI3 View Post
It’s rated for 60 amps and it is a means of disconnect
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
It's a non issue. If the equipment you're installing needs to be shut off frequently with this disconnect, I'd put one in with a handle, or use one of those Eaton black plastic 60a weatherproof "not a breaker" disconnects.

I agree but then I came across this post on the net https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...-switch.39873/
VELOCI3 likes this.
newbie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newbie44 For This Useful Post:
VELOCI3 (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,126

During our code update, the inspectors actually mentioned that this was the most cost effective way to meet the code requirement.

The issue in the attached article has nothing to do with the disco, it is the install / maintenance. Look at the angle of those wires, the gap of missing insulation (obviously been nicked or compromised in some fashion, even the attachment to the conduit looks suspect.

Cheers
John
The_Modifier and Incognito like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
During our code update, the inspectors actually mentioned that this was the most cost effective way to meet the code requirement.

The issue in the attached article has nothing to do with the disco, it is the install / maintenance. Look at the angle of those wires, the gap of missing insulation (obviously been nicked or compromised in some fashion, even the attachment to the conduit looks suspect.

Cheers
John
Yeah that pic looks like it belongs in the gems thread.

There is a lot to be said for workmanship or in this case lack thereof.
The_Modifier and Navyguy like this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #7

Question on the code requirement for the disconnect on an EV charger (Ontario). I have recently moved and so have to install yet another hardwired L2 Charger (40/32Amp Chargepoint). I installed the last one and did not have a disconnect. Pulled an ESA permit, ran Teck 90 with proper connectors from charger through cinderblock / masonry into panel. Inspector passed it with flying colors...

I now have to do something similar, but with a longer run to the panel. Is the disconnect a new requirement? (Last one was installed in 2017) Or perhaps a provincial addition to the CEC?

Thanks.

Apologies if considered hijacking a thread.
Darkskypoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkskypoet View Post
Question on the code requirement for the disconnect on an EV charger (Ontario). I have recently moved and so have to install yet another hardwired L2 Charger (40/32Amp Chargepoint). I installed the last one and did not have a disconnect. Pulled an ESA permit, ran Teck 90 with proper connectors from charger through cinderblock / masonry into panel. Inspector passed it with flying colors...

I now have to do something similar, but with a longer run to the panel. Is the disconnect a new requirement? (Last one was installed in 2017) Or perhaps a provincial addition to the CEC?

Thanks.

Apologies if considered hijacking a thread.
Fill out your profile.

Specifically your general location (it helps the rest of us with making sure that the local codes are cited and your electrically related profession
glen1971 and Kevin_Essiambre like this.

BRINGING RESPECT TO THE TRADES IS IMPERATIVE. DO YOUR PART!
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:42 AM   #9
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Yeah that pic looks like it belongs in the gems thread.

There is a lot to be said for workmanship or in this case lack thereof.
I like the conduit going in the top.

Someone mentioned that you couldn't usr the A/C disconnects for EV chargers to me one day. Asked an inspector and he laughed and said why would the be rated for 60 amps if you couldn't put up to 60 amps on it.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
MechanicalDVR and Navyguy like this.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
I like the conduit going in the top.

Someone mentioned that you couldn't usr the A/C disconnects for EV chargers to me one day. Asked an inspector and he laughed and said why would the be rated for 60 amps if you couldn't put up to 60 amps on it.
It isn't like the disco knows what it's connected to.

Like you say, they are rated for amps not intellect.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 38

I don't think its code to add the disco, it just more of a convenience to have a service switch right next to the item. Same with transformers in buildings, its not code to add disco but we do it all the time.
0day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0day View Post
I don't think its code to add the disco, it just more of a convenience to have a service switch right next to the item. Same with transformers in buildings, its not code to add disco but we do it all the time.
Only time you do not need a disco when feeding equipment is if the ocp is in site of the equipment.

When feeding a tranny if the primary panel is insight of the tranny it’s feeding you dont need a disco ,the oco is means of disconnect.

Say the primary panel is in a diff room of the tranny I belive it’s code that you have to mount a disco and feed the tranny from that means of disconnect .
Fist of lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #13

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of lightning View Post
Only time you do not need a disco when feeding equipment is if the ocp is in site of the equipment.

When feeding a tranny if the primary panel is insight of the tranny it’s feeding you dont need a disco ,the oco is means of disconnect.

Say the primary panel is in a diff room of the tranny I belive it’s code that you have to mount a disco and feed the tranny from that means of disconnect .
Time for a code class (update?) or two me thinks...

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #14
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 894

Quote:
Quote:

Not all equipment requires disconnects within sight. Motors, hot tubs (in Ontario) and EVSC rated 60 amps or more yes, but not for transformers. Good idea, but not code.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Not all equipment requires disconnects within sight. Motors, hot tubs (in Ontario) and EVSC rated 60 amps or more yes, but not for transformers. Good idea, but not code.
Is this a recent code that has changed unless I was always incorrect .

I remember trannies always needing a disco if the breaker was not In sight .
Fist of lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Agreed.

I think there are more code related reasons to have disconnecting means than not. Rarely over the years have I ever installed a piece of equipment that was so perfectly engineered or a distribution designed and installed that did not require some sort of disconnecting means (especially trannys). The biggest one I have come across is oversizing the tranny and requiring secondary protection on the load side to protect the equipment, usually a MLO panel or splitter.

Cheers
John
0day and Incognito like this.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:15 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 218

I never use that for client except for A/C installation purpose, normally I use a disconnect with a handle, not heavy duty but OK for house use.

Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
billyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote