does all of you follow rule 12-510 for armored cable - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Old 05-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,056
Default does all of you follow rule 12-510 for armored cable

This rules tell us to support cable (even armored cable) at maximum 12" of box, i try to follow it most of the time but ive seen in big industries that it is not followed at all, ive seen a lot of 2-3 feet distance for the first anchor of cable (teck cable).
oliquir is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Sideways Sparky

Rewards Points: 1,168

Our inspectors are generally strap nazis. They enforce supports and any recent codes (AFCI, Tamper resistant etc...) I strap the piss out of everything.
farlsincharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:27 PM   #3

I always do, unless it is in a fixture that has the doghouse too far from the tywire. Then I leave it at the 14 inches or so, that the distance is.
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Beware Of The Apprentice

Rewards Points: 75

Always. As the low man on totem pole I also get to go back and strap all the ones that are as you've mentioned, too far or non existing.

I know you guys have diff rules up there but this one is the same (at least here in Phx).
wsntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 506

I don't worry about it,much. Motors I give a lot of leeway to (for vibration, and so you have enough slack for a mechanical guy to move the motor out of his way without disconnecting it. If this means there is 2 feet of teck hanging in the breeze then so be it. I've never had an inspector fail me on it.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Canada View Post
I don't worry about it,much. Motors I give a lot of leeway to (for vibration, and so you have enough slack for a mechanical guy to move the motor out of his way without disconnecting it. If this means there is 2 feet of teck hanging in the breeze then so be it. I've never had an inspector fail me on it.
Mike, you offer an interesting observation. If the cable is not stressed and as you have offered there is reason to extend the first strap rule I would consider it. Strapping or the lack of it is the #1 most frequent reason for writing a violation followed closely with second box supports in Steel studs. The most common place for strapping deficiencies is in T-Bar cielings.
Mshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlsincharge View Post
Our inspectors are generally strap nazis. They enforce supports and any recent codes (AFCI, Tamper resistant etc...)
So you are more or less following the changes in the US and adapting AFCI's and TR's into the CEC?
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
So you are more or less following the changes in the US and adapting AFCI's and TR's into the CEC?
The NEC has Canadians and the CEC have Americans acting in purely advisory roles in helping shape the codes. Many UL standards are either bi-national (usually Can-US) or tri-national standards that include Mexico. Then we've got harmonized standards that are largely the same with some minor twists i.e. CSA Z462 and NFPA 70E.

In short, with a lot of standards and codes, Canada and the US are more or less working in sync with one another.

I don't follow the CEC but the (Ontario Electrical Safety Code) OESC. That said we've had AFCIs on the books for about a decade, TRs since 08 in Ontario.
Mike_586 is offline   Reply With Quote