ENT Conduit - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By quick_2
  • 1 Post By Gnome
  • 1 Post By quick_2

Old 04-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 132
Default ENT Conduit

Hi Everyone.

We're pricing a job, and need to run a conduit for future equipment (a coffee roaster) in a wood construction building. We wanted to use PVC for the ease of installation but due to the building being insulated we cannot use PVC. So we were going to run EMT, which is much more difficult, Then, we thought of ENT/coreline/smurf tube.

We checked the codebook and there's nothing saying that you can't use ENT in thermal insulation. Is this correct? I thought that ENT is PVC just like PVC rigid conduit.

It's for a high end custom home, so it would be preferable if we could avoid having to run surface conduit after the fact, and they're not sure what the machine is going to draw because they haven't picked a machine yet.

Also, does anyone know why we're not permitted to run rigid PVC in thermal insulation? I'm curious.

Tl;Dr: Can we run ENT in thermal insulation?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,193

The rules on ENT are very brief. Nothing says you can’t do it but an inspector might get pi$$y. FWIW, the rule for rigid PVC is “enclosed” in thermal insulation. I have run a 2 X 4 beside it in attics to get around the rule.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 14,851

In USA so it's bound to be different. But here anyway ENT has a yellow sticker attached on the coils that says it cannot be used in ambient temperatures exceeding a set amount, been a long time since I looked at it- maybe 120 deg F perhaps? Something around that.

So ,,,, Inspectors who are Akamai will call that out if you run it thru attic insulation , cause the attics here will definitely get a bit hotter than that in August and September. Actually , most of the inspectors won't say boo, but if you get the wrong one, you will be removing it. Why chance it?
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
Can't sign em..forget em

Rewards Points: 10,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
In USA so it's bound to be different. But here anyway ENT has a yellow sticker attached on the coils that says it cannot be used in ambient temperatures exceeding a set amount, been a long time since I looked at it- maybe 120 deg F perhaps? Something around that.

So ,,,, Inspectors who are Akamai will call that out if you run it thru attic insulation , cause the attics here will definitely get a bit hotter than that in August and September. Actually , most of the inspectors won't say boo, but if you get the wrong one, you will be removing it. Why chance it?
Is that the difference between a Haole inspection vs a native inspection?
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
Journeyman

Rewards Points: 188

(2) Rigid PVC in thermal insulation
Direction
Notwithstanding Rule 12-1102, ESA will permit rigid PVC conduits to be used in locations enclosed in thermal insulation.
Rationale
Historically, when this rule first appeared in the code, PVC had different properties.
The way the rule is written would not permit PVC to be installed when enclosed with thermal insulation.
There are other PVC conduits and tubing that do not have this restriction, such as DB2 and ENT.
Rule 12-1104 would handle the issue of installing PVC conduit when enclosed with thermal insulation intended for use with wires and cables with a maximum operating temperature of 75 įC.
electricguy likes this.
quick_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 759

quick_2 quotes the solution I'd use (DB2/Teleduct). It's even easier to run than PVC when you don't need mechanical protection/UV resistance.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #7
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
quick_2 quotes the solution I'd use (DB2/Teleduct). It's even easier to run than PVC when you don't need mechanical protection/UV resistance.
Only issue with DB2 is the long sweep 90į

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 759

Ya, a 24" radius can be problematic.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #9
Conductor Protector

Rewards Points: 44

I always thought DB2 was just for underground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funksparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:09 PM   #10
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksparky View Post
I always thought DB2 was just for underground?

I remember reading somewhere that it can go in the wall(I think the code book). It's not UV resistant so it has to be burried completely underground. But what I read said that it can go in a wall too. As long as sunlight cannot get to it and it's protected from places where damage can occur.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:24 PM   #11
Conductor Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
I remember reading somewhere that it can go in the wall(I think the code book). It's not UV resistant so it has to be burried completely underground. But what I read said that it can go in a wall too. As long as sunlight cannot get to it and it's protected from places where damage can occur.

Interesting. And because itís not rigid PVC it can be in thermal insulation too? I also assumed I couldnít use ENT for a future conduit running through attic insulation since itís made of PVC. (Though itís obviously not rigid PVC)
I figured itís because it doesnít dissipate heat like EMT would. I better look into this. I have a job where they want a way to get conductors to the roof in the future for solar, but no decision on size/ voltage etc at this time. ENT would be much easier.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #12
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksparky View Post
Interesting. And because itís not rigid PVC it can be in thermal insulation too? I also assumed I couldnít use ENT for a future conduit running through attic insulation since itís made of PVC. (Though itís obviously not rigid PVC)
I figured itís because it doesnít dissipate heat like EMT would. I better look into this. I have a job where they want a way to get conductors to the roof in the future for solar, but no decision on size/ voltage etc at this time. ENT would be much easier.

I'm not sure if we can run DB2 or ENT through thermal insulation. The code book only says rigid PVC can't be.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:49 PM   #13
Journeyman

Rewards Points: 188

I literally just posted a bulletin explaining that they can all be run in thermal insulation.... You can't be serious.
B-Nabs likes this.
quick_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #14
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick_2 View Post
I literally just posted a bulletin explaining that they can all be run in thermal insulation.... You can't be serious.
Missed that yesterday. Been having phone and computer issues

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #15
Conductor Protector

Thanks @quick_2! Sorry I missed or misread that. Doesnít help me in BC, because I donít think we have that directive/ bulletin - but I should double check. Anyone know? Cheers