Exit signs - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree29Likes

Old 11-21-2019, 06:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18
Default Exit signs

I've got 3 exit signs that need a replacement battery in a fast food joint. I was just going to slap some new batteries, hit the test button to make sure they work and leave it at that. But then one of the guys I work with said you had be certified as an exit sign guy. Is that true? I'm in bc if it makes a difference. Also, would you guys do anything different from what I propose?
mofos be cray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofos be cray View Post
I've got 3 exit signs that need a replacement battery in a fast food joint. I was just going to slap some new batteries, hit the test button to make sure they work and leave it at that. But then one of the guys I work with said you had be certified as an exit sign guy. Is that true? I'm in bc if it makes a difference. Also, would you guys do anything different from what I propose?
Plastic self powered exits are $40 - 50 and exits are a pain in the d!ck, so for that money I would just replace the whole sign.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
pudge565, dronai, tmessner and 1 others like this.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post
Plastic self powered exits are $40 - 50 and exits are a pain in the d!ck, so for that money I would just replace the whole sign.
I tell people this all the time. I can bring a new sign with me and give them everything brand new.

If I go there and I have the wrong battery or the bulb/LED is the issue then it is going to cost 2-3 times as much for me to go out and find what I need and return to install it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 908

Just install new ones. I have had the circuit board/ charging circuit be the problem to many times. I have also ordered the exact replacement battery and had them be an unmeasurable difference in size and not fit in the case. Let the mfg install the battery. Same thing for small under the desk ups units
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 1,709

What the **** is a certified exit sign guy?
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
What the **** is a certified exit sign guy?
Around my way they are the fire protection companies that also supply fire extinguishers and alarms.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
Around my way they are the fire protection companies that also supply fire extinguishers and alarms.
Around my way, we wire ‘em up and kill the breaker as a test. Done. You think I’m going to hire some exit sign dude?
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
Who certified them?

Did they use the same method that I used to certify my own company (by writing certified on the side of their van)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #9

Thanks ya'll. Ya I told them to change the signs or rather, I told the boss to tell them but here I am changing batteries so idk. As a follow up the coworker said you needed to be certified so you could sign off on the signs functioning correctly. Welcome to Canada we there is a rule for everything.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Around my way, we wire ‘em up and kill the breaker as a test. Done. You think I’m going to hire some exit sign dude?
These guys go around to existing installs and test the lights and put a sticker on them with a date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Who certified them?

Did they use the same method that I used to certify my own company (by writing certified on the side of their van)?
The National Academic Academy of Fire-ology.
MikeFL likes this.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofos be cray View Post
Thanks ya'll. Ya I told them to change the signs or rather, I told the boss to tell them but here I am changing batteries so idk. As a follow up the coworker said you needed to be certified so you could sign off on the signs functioning correctly. Welcome to Canada we there is a rule for everything.
This isn’t a Canadian thing. You must live somewhere special.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #12

This isn’️t a Canadian thing. You must live somewhere special.[/QUOTE]

It's special alright. Short bus special.
99cents likes this.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,032

Have your boss certify you, put a sticker on the exit light and charge an extra $50.
People will pay for what they don't know or what they think is expected. I wouldn't do it but I sure would be temped to.

Tim.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #14
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbug View Post
Have your boss certify you, put a sticker on the exit light and charge an extra $50.
People will pay for what they don't know or what they think is expected. I wouldn't do it but I sure would be temped to.

Tim.
I dunno, like Will says, maybe someone has to go around every year or so testing fire extinguishers and emergency lighting to satisfy the fire marshall or insurance company. That has nothing to do with us as installers.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 792

Vancouver and a couple of other BC locations have certification for people doing fire extinguisher ,fire alarm systems , exit lighting systems in their areas thru the BC Techs group.
scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #16
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch View Post
Vancouver and a couple of other BC locations have certification for people doing fire extinguisher ,fire alarm systems , exit lighting systems in their areas thru the BC Techs group.
That can’t mean an electrician needs to be certified to hang a few emergency/exits in a new taco joint, does it? Duh.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:03 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,032

Emergency lighting checks are on our monthly PMs, therefore documented and repaired if they don't work. Fire extinguishers are contracted out for annuals but we have in-house do the monthly's there too.

Tim.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 792

ASTTBC has listing of life safety equipment testing certification requirements that have been adopted by various cities/municipalities in BC.
Doesn't effect installation of electrical equipment.
99cents likes this.
scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch View Post
That can’️t mean an electrician needs to be certified to hang a few emergency/exits in a new taco joint, does it? Duh.
In Ontario, I think the building code specifies when emergency lighting and exits are to be installed. A licensed electrical contractor installs them, and an annual inspection by a fire prevention officer, or an ESA inspector can check if they are operating correctly and require repairs as necessary.
Code Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #20
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 480

Quote:
That can’t mean an electrician needs to be certified to hang a few emergency/exits in a new taco joint, does it? Duh.
I think the distinction is between installation, and modification or repair. Around here anyway, exit signs and emergency lighting battery packs are tested annually by an ASTTBC certified technician who applies a tag with the date of test, result, and due date for re-inspection. I don't know if replacing a battery in a sign is supposed to be done or at least inspected by those guys, but installing a new sign sure isn't, and like I said before is just as much work and not much difference in cost. You wouldn't catch me fudging around replacing a self powered exit battery, not worth the effort. New sign.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk