Feasability/outlook of electricians in BC - Page 4 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum


Like Tree38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
FishinElectrcian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: West Coast Canada
Posts: 282
Rewards Points: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut1 View Post
For what it’s worth I found out the Union rate is 40.90/hr... still not great considering. You paint a bleak picture my friend! Interesting anecdote about your brother, I feel for him deeply, that could be me! Dispatcher basically in a roundabout way told me the best way to get hired in the local is to solicit myself to contractors and get hired by name (HUGE NO-NO IN MY LOCAL)

No interest in running shoe electric.. My latest niche is oil refinery work, 4-10s, heavy ridgid conduit and that sweet sweet control wiring. Not to mention a shutdown or two to put you into bookoo bucks territory. Would be nice to find that somewhere. Where da gravy at!
Yeah there's not a lot of industry left in the lower mainland, it keeps moving further out of town because of the real estate. There is some industrial parks but refineries are an AB thing and they are shut down. Not the best in Fort Mac either used to be 11/3 on 10hr days. If there's No overtime= low bucks. 3 days off = one day of sleep and at least a 4hr drive back to Edmonton, she will be missing where you are at haha. Cost of living up in the Mac there is horrendous I always "camped" it.. But there are opportunities in the oil field in Alberta but the better ones are not union.

Shutdowns help the pipefitters a lot more than electricians, they get mass hours, so do Carpenters doing scaffold work and labourers... I never hit big money on those, a couple friends did for a two week stint or on LOA.

Hey I just went back and looked, WA is the best option

Last edited by FishinElectrcian; 06-29-2020 at 12:30 PM.
FishinElectrcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #62
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinElectrcian View Post
Yeah there's not a lot of industry left in the lower mainland, it keeps moving further out of town because of the real estate. There is some industrial parks but refineries are an AB thing and they are shut down. Not the best in Fort Mac either used to be 11/3 on 10hr days. If there's No overtime= low bucks. 3 days off = one day of sleep and at least a 4hr drive back to Edmonton, she will be missing where you are at haha. Cost of living up in the Mac there is horrendous I always "camped" it.. But there are opportunities in the oil field in Alberta but the better ones are not union.

Shutdowns help the pipefitters a lot more than electricians, they get mass hours, so do Carpenters doing scaffold work and labourers... I never hit big money on those, a couple friends did for a two week stint or on LOA.

Hey I just went back and looked, WA is the best option

Thanks for the info on Fort Mac. I have heard various things in the past about that work region. Kind of sad that the electricians don't get the opportunity to milk the overtime though. Some of my coworkers at the refinery I was at make over 200k USD in a good year. Hell I made about 45k in TEN weeks last fall. You really gotta be okay with working 6 or 7-12s for a couple months a couple different times a year to make the 200 mark though. Most guys aren't into that and thats okay. Unfortunately covid F***ed up the contracts there this year, so 2021 is the next time it'll pop again.
Juggernaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #63
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8
Default

I'm in Local 213 out of Vancouver and have been working throughout the whole pandemic. I do know that the list of guys at the hall is at 1000 right now though. Not alot of industrial here. The union is not very strong here, alot more work for the non-union shops. What kind of visa are you able to get as a US citizen to come and work in Canada?
EarlStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #64
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlStevens View Post
I'm in Local 213 out of Vancouver and have been working throughout the whole pandemic. I do know that the list of guys at the hall is at 1000 right now though. Not alot of industrial here. The union is not very strong here, alot more work for the non-union shops. What kind of visa are you able to get as a US citizen to come and work in Canada?
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that 213 is not very strong. Interesting because Seattle is kind of a similar city to Vancouver in regards to industry but the local there is pretty dang well off.

Anyway, for my work visa I paid a licensed immigration consultant and she worked some magic. I couldn't even get into Canada to begin with because of a prior DUI on my record and she fixed that, plus got me an Open work permit. I gave her a lot of ammunition but she made sh*t happen in the end.
Juggernaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:07 PM   #65
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8
Default

Do you mind me asking what qualifications that you were able to obtain the visa on? I was always under the impression that being a journeyman electrician was not enough to work in America, as a Canadian. Perhaps the rules are different the other way around?
EarlStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:11 PM   #66
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlStevens View Post
Do you mind me asking what qualifications that you were able to obtain the visa on? I was always under the impression that being a journeyman electrician was not enough to work in America, as a Canadian. Perhaps the rules are different the other way around?
It was mainly my license, mixed with a letter from a contractor in the Yukon stating how bad he needed/wanted to hire me, and also the local chief inspector put a letter in my file vouching for lack of licenses up there. You might be sh*t out of luck indeed if you tried it in America. On the other hand though, I had loads of Canadians call me crazy for trying it in Canada (because of the thousands of unemployed electricians).
Juggernaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #67
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8
Default

You got your visa by taking work somewhere that no one is willing to go, smart. Now you have it an are able to work anywhere you please. I don't plan on moving to America but it was interesting that you were able to be approved for a visa with only the journeymen license.
EarlStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #68
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlStevens View Post
You got your visa by taking work somewhere that no one is willing to go, smart. Now you have it an are able to work anywhere you please. I don't plan on moving to America but it was interesting that you were able to be approved for a visa with only the journeymen license.
I found it very interesting that there was a "lack" of qualified electricians up there.. Yukon (Whitehorse) is flippin awesome, if I was Canadian i'd give it a shot up there for sure. Good pay compared to BC and less expensive. (still not good enough for me and too far away from home, I only did it temporarily because of my girlfriend living up there). It does have its cons but considering the thousands unemployed in Alberta I couldnt believe they werent flocking up there in droves
Juggernaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 PM   #69
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Port Alberni,B.C.
Posts: 48
Rewards Points: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinninwheels View Post
Lower mainland traffic sucks big time.

If you want beauty, get out of the city.

We live on a gulf island, and the only city we would move to from here would be Victoria...maybe.

Still lots of traffic. Even more cut-throat resi. It's drier than Van though, and the most sunshine on the coast.

You mentioned you lived in the Yukon, so you can handle the cold. How about the rain? Where is your GF from, the west coast?? The grey, rainy winters aren't for everyone.
i live in Port Alberni now but lived on N.Pender Island for 12 yrs.We moved back to Victoria 12 years ago and we were disappointed with the way Victoria seems to have gone downhill.Do you live on Saltspring by chance.
Bcec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #70
Senior Member
 
spinninwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 625
Rewards Points: 1,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcec View Post
i live in Port Alberni now but lived on N.Pender Island for 12 yrs.We moved back to Victoria 12 years ago and we were disappointed with the way Victoria seems to have gone downhill.Do you live on Saltspring by chance.
No, the preceding island to Hornby.

I worked in Victoria for a while. I rented a suite and came home on weekends. I remember one time it took me 4 hours from McKenzie and #1, to Nanaimo.

Two hours on the Crawl, and over an hour from Goldstream to the summit of the Malahat.
__________________
life is a wild adventure or nothing - helen keller
spinninwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:10 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Navyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Welland, Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,787
Rewards Points: 5,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut1 View Post
I found it very interesting that there was a "lack" of qualified electricians up there.. Yukon (Whitehorse) is flippin awesome, if I was Canadian i'd give it a shot up there for sure. Good pay compared to BC and less expensive. (still not good enough for me and too far away from home, I only did it temporarily because of my girlfriend living up there). It does have its cons but considering the thousands unemployed in Alberta I couldnt believe they werent flocking up there in droves
If I had a choice I would live in Whitehorse. I have spent about 6 years in the North all together... my favorite is Dawson and I also like Skagway Alaska.

Cheers
John
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:53 AM   #72
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 18
Default

Man this is a great thread. Here's my take:

I've lived in Van, Kelowna, Kamloops, Calgary and Edmonton in the last 13 years. I've worked residential and fly in fly out in Fort Mac in Vancouver. Residential doesn't pay ****. The jobs aren't consistent unless you're with a great company and there is a lot of older guys still working. In fact, I worked out of Vancouver on industrial jobs before I moved into engineering just so I could afford to live there. 2012 I was in a 1800sq ft house with 3 guys in kitslano paying $1300 a month. And those rates haven't improved.

I won't give relationship advice (primarily because everybody else is doing such a fantastic job, really), but do not make this move. In fact, I just got my MBA and STILL wouldn't work in Van unless I was making $250k base with a 4-500k bonus. It's absolutely ludicrous. The friends I have there that all work their little corporate soul sucking jobs or instagramable lululemon SSC roles are all from rich families and had their apartments bought for them.

Great city. Really, it's amazing. But **** making that work.
stuntmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuntmonkey For This Useful Post:
Juggernaut1 (07-02-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #73
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlStevens View Post
I'm in Local 213 out of Vancouver and have been working throughout the whole pandemic. I do know that the list of guys at the hall is at 1000 right now though.
Add an extra skill... like level 3 first aid, class 3/1 driver, welding cert.... Now suddenly you get called out before 200 other guys. BTDT.
u2slow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #74
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 23,809
Rewards Points: 3,029
Default

So is the OP going to show his lady this thread?
Funksparky likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #75
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmonkey View Post
Man this is a great thread. Here's my take:

I've lived in Van, Kelowna, Kamloops, Calgary and Edmonton in the last 13 years. I've worked residential and fly in fly out in Fort Mac in Vancouver. Residential doesn't pay ****. The jobs aren't consistent unless you're with a great company and there is a lot of older guys still working. In fact, I worked out of Vancouver on industrial jobs before I moved into engineering just so I could afford to live there. 2012 I was in a 1800sq ft house with 3 guys in kitslano paying $1300 a month. And those rates haven't improved.

I won't give relationship advice (primarily because everybody else is doing such a fantastic job, really), but do not make this move. In fact, I just got my MBA and STILL wouldn't work in Van unless I was making $250k base with a 4-500k bonus. It's absolutely ludicrous. The friends I have there that all work their little corporate soul sucking jobs or instagramable lululemon SSC roles are all from rich families and had their apartments bought for them.

Great city. Really, it's amazing. But **** making that work.
Where have you chosen to live instead?
EarlStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #76
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
So is the OP going to show his lady this thread?
Update: We broke up. Very sad story, could have been prevented if I was gung ho about a BC move, but the fact is i'm just not. Appreciate everyone that chimed in on this thread
Juggernaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #77
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 23,809
Rewards Points: 3,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut1 View Post
Update: We broke up. Very sad story, could have been prevented if I was gung ho about a BC move, but the fact is i'm just not. Appreciate everyone that chimed in on this thread
You just won the lottery, dude. Congratulations!

Here’s my advice: You’re 29 years old and making money. Forget about any kind of serious relationship for the next decade. Put your money away, pay off your house and set yourself up nice. Single women in their 40’s are in their prime and will be desperate for a guy like you. Chances are you will find one with a free house some poor schmuck paid for. The best 40 year old I had got divorced after her husband came out. She was celibate for a long time and had a lot of catching up to do. I was sore for three months before that one blew up (for the record, I dumped her and moved to BC ).

Last edited by 99cents; 07-02-2020 at 03:28 PM.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
Juggernaut1 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #78
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
You just won the lottery, dude. Congratulations!

Here’s my advice: You’re 29 years old and making money. Forget about any kind of serious relationship for the next decade. Put your money away, pay off your house and set yourself up nice. Single women in their 40’s are in their prime and will be desperate for a guy like you. The best 40 year old I had got divorced after her husband came out. She was celibate for a long time and had a lot of catching up to do. I was sore for three months before that one blew up (for the record, I dumped her and moved to BC ).
Cheers buddy thanks for the advice, I'll focus on myself for awhile indeed, including some major adventure excursions. Funny story ya got there to boot, sorry to hear it ended with a BC move
99cents likes this.
Juggernaut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:24 PM   #79
Liberal Lesbian
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 39,107
Rewards Points: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut1 View Post
Update: We broke up. Very sad story, could have been prevented if I was gung ho about a BC move, but the fact is i'm just not. Appreciate everyone that chimed in on this thread
It's sad that you broke up. But it's apparently the best thing for you.

See how easily you just broke up? This could have happened just as easily after you quit your great job and moved to a place that you can't afford to live.

Like 99cents said, you won the lottery.
99cents likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #80
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut1 View Post
Update: We broke up. Very sad story, could have been prevented if I was gung ho about a BC move, but the fact is i'm just not. Appreciate everyone that chimed in on this thread
Wow

Bellingham sounded like a darn good compromise. Surrey isn't far away at all.
u2slow is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com