finding work as a helper in Quebec - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By Navyguy
  • 3 Post By emtnut
  • 2 Post By eddy current
  • 1 Post By mofos be cray

Old 02-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default finding work as a helper in Quebec

hello!

Im finding it very difficult to find any info, or even if its possible, to be a helper for electricians in Quebec

I'm in Montreal, Im a permanent resident and have a drivers license

we don't really have unions in the uk, or at least they don't have any power, but we do have a new "ish" "company" that you need to do a health and safety course, to get a card to work on most commercial sites

I have been working as a sparks mate/helper for 15 years in the uk
doing high profile commercial work, including data and fire its always been a secondary job for me, but I can do the work of a qualified spark

if I was in the uk starting from scratch with no contact, I would just join an agency and take what comes, can I do anything like that?

any help would be greatly appreciated
sparksmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,962

No such thing as a helper.

You get on as an apprentice or nothing.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
sparksmate (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, well that's f88kd then, so Id need to do a 4 year year course

do they have agencies here?

I was considering going the fire alarm route and getting fully qualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
No such thing as a helper.

You get on as an apprentice or nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,086

This might be helpful... not sure what the requirements are in QC.

http://www.cfaa.ca/TrainingProgram.aspx

Cheers
John
sparksmate likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #5

awesome, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
This might be helpful... not sure what the requirements are in QC.

Cheers
John
Old 02-10-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,962

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksmate View Post
Thanks for the reply, well that's f88kd then, so Id need to do a 4 year year course

do they have agencies here?

I was considering going the fire alarm route and getting fully qualified
Not a 4 year course. Quebec is different thou, they do all the 4 or 5 apprentice terms together before you start .. I think a year in school. But you can be on pogie while you are doing that.
Maybe @Martine will chime in. She's doing that right now in QC
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
sparksmate (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #7
Light Bender

Rewards Points: 7,796

Quebec also has a mandatory safety course to work on a construction site, regardless of which trade. It is called ASP and is 30 hours long. If you do not live in Quebec and have a red seal licence you do not have to take the course.

I suggest you take that course first (difficult to find it taught in English)

As for the schooling, I’️m pretty sure it is a 2 year program you must take first and then can be an apprentice.(May also be difficult to find in English)

Last edited by eddy current; 02-10-2020 at 09:33 PM.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eddy current For This Useful Post:
sparksmate (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 11:14 PM   #8

thanks, I appreciate it
speaking of language, how difficult will it be on site when not fluent in French
health and safety wise and socially

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
Quebec also has a mandatory safety course to work on a construction site, regardless of which trade. It is called ASP and is 30 hours long. If you do not live in Quebec and have a red seal licence you do not have to take the course.

I suggest you take that course first (difficult to find it taught in English)

As for the schooling, I’️m pretty sure it is a 2 year program you must take first and then can be an apprentice.(May also be difficult to find in English)
Old 02-11-2020, 12:13 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 18

Why does a pommey move to poutine land? Move to the reasonable part of the country.
sparksmate likes this.
mofos be cray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 42

Quote:
thanks, I appreciate it
speaking of language, how difficult will it be on site when not fluent in French
health and safety wise and socially
Socially, you will be ostracized and treated like a alley cat. For real, it will depend on which part of Montréal, the company you're with and the attitudes of the others on the job site. Officially, Québec's language of choice is French. You might get a pass because you have a British(not English) accent, put some effort into speaking with the Quebecois workers in French. Learn some swear words, that usually gets a chuckle. That said, all official documents should be available in English. You may get passed over if you don't speak the official language though at a lot of jobs, the language police are a real thing so companies don't want to deal with the risk of getting fined.
Cosmorok is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cosmorok For This Useful Post:
sparksmate (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 02:45 PM   #11

Taver..shnnaaklle
why would they get fined?
there are so many bizarre things here, I like it...but really
there's a lot of backwards er...things
I am a strong believer in integration and quebecans have the right to be pissed at the queens head on their money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmorok View Post
Socially, you will be ostracized and treated like a alley cat. For real, it will depend on which part of Montréal, the company you're with and the attitudes of the others on the job site. Officially, Québec's language of choice is French. You might get a pass because you have a British(not English) accent, put some effort into speaking with the Quebecois workers in French. Learn some swear words, that usually gets a chuckle. That said, all official documents should be available in English. You may get passed over if you don't speak the official language though at a lot of jobs, the language police are a real thing so companies don't want to deal with the risk of getting fined.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 42

Quote:
Taver..shnnaaklle
why would they get fined?
there are so many bizarre things here, I like it...but really
there's a lot of backwards er...things
I am a strong believer in integration and quebecans have the right to be pissed at the queens head on their money
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office...fran%C3%A7aise Office québécois de la langue française AKA language police. There are rules to follow if and when there is English used on signs, in business etc.
Cosmorok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 616

Quote:
hello!

Im finding it very difficult to find any info, or even if its possible, to be a helper for electricians in Quebec

I'm in Montreal, Im a permanent resident and have a drivers license

we don't really have unions in the uk, or at least they don't have any power, but we do have a new "ish" "company" that you need to do a health and safety course, to get a card to work on most commercial sites

I have been working as a sparks mate/helper for 15 years in the uk
doing high profile commercial work, including data and fire its always been a secondary job for me, but I can do the work of a qualified spark

if I was in the uk starting from scratch with no contact, I would just join an agency and take what comes, can I do anything like that?

any help would be greatly appreciated
You'll have to give a call to the CCQ or emploi quebec depending what you plan on doing. They'll have a look at your prior experience and then go from there and decide how many (if any) classes you'll need to transfer over your license.
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 616

As for finding a job, you'll need to get your licensing figured out before applying for a job, as there is no such thing as a ''helper'' over here. If they refuse to accept your previous experience you'll have to do an 1800 hour schooling (which is about a year and a half) before you can actually step foot on a job site as a first year apprentice.

As for needing to speak french or not, you'd have better luck on a bigger jobsite. The last jobsite I was on we had 80 electricians and quite a few of them spoke very little french and they got on just fine because most of us spoke french and english. Certain areas of montreal (the south shore for example) are quite a bit more anglophone than on the island, but either way you shouldn't have too much of a problem, especially not if you TRY to learn basic french (I say try, because it isn't an easy language to learn as an adult)
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apprentice, day, helper, quebec