finding work as a helper in Quebec - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum


Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By Navyguy
  • 3 Post By emtnut
  • 2 Post By eddy current
  • 1 Post By mofos be cray
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: montreal
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default finding work as a helper in Quebec

hello!

Im finding it very difficult to find any info, or even if its possible, to be a helper for electricians in Quebec

I'm in Montreal, Im a permanent resident and have a drivers license

we don't really have unions in the uk, or at least they don't have any power, but we do have a new "ish" "company" that you need to do a health and safety course, to get a card to work on most commercial sites

I have been working as a sparks mate/helper for 15 years in the uk
doing high profile commercial work, including data and fire its always been a secondary job for me, but I can do the work of a qualified spark

if I was in the uk starting from scratch with no contact, I would just join an agency and take what comes, can I do anything like that?

any help would be greatly appreciated
sparksmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Band Member
 
emtnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 6,188
Rewards Points: 1,962
Default

No such thing as a helper.


You get on as an apprentice or nothing.
__________________
_____________________________________
Your Mother was a hamster, and your father smells of Elderberries. ... Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
sparksmate (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: montreal
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Thanks for the reply, well that's f88kd then, so Id need to do a 4 year year course

do they have agencies here?

I was considering going the fire alarm route and getting fully qualified


Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
No such thing as a helper.


You get on as an apprentice or nothing.
sparksmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Welland, Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,446
Rewards Points: 5,086
Default

This might be helpful... not sure what the requirements are in QC.

http://www.cfaa.ca/TrainingProgram.aspx

Cheers
John
sparksmate likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: montreal
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

awesome, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
This might be helpful... not sure what the requirements are in QC.



Cheers
John
sparksmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
Band Member
 
emtnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 6,188
Rewards Points: 1,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksmate View Post
Thanks for the reply, well that's f88kd then, so Id need to do a 4 year year course

do they have agencies here?

I was considering going the fire alarm route and getting fully qualified
Not a 4 year course. Quebec is different thou, they do all the 4 or 5 apprentice terms together before you start .. I think a year in school. But you can be on pogie while you are doing that.
Maybe @Martine will chime in. She's doing that right now in QC
__________________
_____________________________________
Your Mother was a hamster, and your father smells of Elderberries. ... Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
sparksmate (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #7
Light Bender
 
eddy current's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,372
Rewards Points: 7,796
Default

Quebec also has a mandatory safety course to work on a construction site, regardless of which trade. It is called ASP and is 30 hours long. If you do not live in Quebec and have a red seal licence you do not have to take the course.

I suggest you take that course first (difficult to find it taught in English)

As for the schooling, I’️m pretty sure it is a 2 year program you must take first and then can be an apprentice.(May also be difficult to find in English)

Last edited by eddy current; 02-10-2020 at 09:33 PM.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eddy current For This Useful Post:
sparksmate (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 11:14 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: montreal
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

thanks, I appreciate it
speaking of language, how difficult will it be on site when not fluent in French
health and safety wise and socially


Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
Quebec also has a mandatory safety course to work on a construction site, regardless of which trade. It is called ASP and is 30 hours long. If you do not live in Quebec and have a red seal licence you do not have to take the course.

I suggest you take that course first (difficult to find it taught in English)

As for the schooling, I’️m pretty sure it is a 2 year program you must take first and then can be an apprentice.(May also be difficult to find in English)
sparksmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:13 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: canada
Posts: 126
Rewards Points: 18
Default

Why does a pommey move to poutine land? Move to the reasonable part of the country.
sparksmate likes this.
mofos be cray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Southwestern On-Tear-I-OH
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksmate View Post
thanks, I appreciate it
speaking of language, how difficult will it be on site when not fluent in French
health and safety wise and socially
Socially, you will be ostracized and treated like a alley cat. For real, it will depend on which part of Montréal, the company you're with and the attitudes of the others on the job site. Officially, Québec's language of choice is French. You might get a pass because you have a British(not English) accent, put some effort into speaking with the Quebecois workers in French. Learn some swear words, that usually gets a chuckle. That said, all official documents should be available in English. You may get passed over if you don't speak the official language though at a lot of jobs, the language police are a real thing so companies don't want to deal with the risk of getting fined.
Cosmorok is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cosmorok For This Useful Post:
sparksmate (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 02:45 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: montreal
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Taver..shnnaaklle
why would they get fined?
there are so many bizarre things here, I like it...but really
there's a lot of backwards er...things
I am a strong believer in integration and quebecans have the right to be pissed at the queens head on their money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmorok View Post
Socially, you will be ostracized and treated like a alley cat. For real, it will depend on which part of Montréal, the company you're with and the attitudes of the others on the job site. Officially, Québec's language of choice is French. You might get a pass because you have a British(not English) accent, put some effort into speaking with the Quebecois workers in French. Learn some swear words, that usually gets a chuckle. That said, all official documents should be available in English. You may get passed over if you don't speak the official language though at a lot of jobs, the language police are a real thing so companies don't want to deal with the risk of getting fined.
sparksmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Southwestern On-Tear-I-OH
Posts: 42
Rewards Points: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksmate View Post
Taver..shnnaaklle
why would they get fined?
there are so many bizarre things here, I like it...but really
there's a lot of backwards er...things
I am a strong believer in integration and quebecans have the right to be pissed at the queens head on their money
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office...fran%C3%A7aise Office québécois de la langue française AKA language police. There are rules to follow if and when there is English used on signs, in business etc.
Cosmorok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Martine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 309
Rewards Points: 616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksmate View Post
hello!

Im finding it very difficult to find any info, or even if its possible, to be a helper for electricians in Quebec

I'm in Montreal, Im a permanent resident and have a drivers license

we don't really have unions in the uk, or at least they don't have any power, but we do have a new "ish" "company" that you need to do a health and safety course, to get a card to work on most commercial sites

I have been working as a sparks mate/helper for 15 years in the uk
doing high profile commercial work, including data and fire its always been a secondary job for me, but I can do the work of a qualified spark

if I was in the uk starting from scratch with no contact, I would just join an agency and take what comes, can I do anything like that?

any help would be greatly appreciated
You'll have to give a call to the CCQ or emploi quebec depending what you plan on doing. They'll have a look at your prior experience and then go from there and decide how many (if any) classes you'll need to transfer over your license.
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Martine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 309
Rewards Points: 616
Default

As for finding a job, you'll need to get your licensing figured out before applying for a job, as there is no such thing as a ''helper'' over here. If they refuse to accept your previous experience you'll have to do an 1800 hour schooling (which is about a year and a half) before you can actually step foot on a job site as a first year apprentice.

As for needing to speak french or not, you'd have better luck on a bigger jobsite. The last jobsite I was on we had 80 electricians and quite a few of them spoke very little french and they got on just fine because most of us spoke french and english. Certain areas of montreal (the south shore for example) are quite a bit more anglophone than on the island, but either way you shouldn't have too much of a problem, especially not if you TRY to learn basic french (I say try, because it isn't an easy language to learn as an adult)
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apprentice, day, helper, quebec

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com