Good evening. I need some info about fridge receptacle. Is it must be separate circui - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree16Likes

Old 05-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Good evening. I need some info about fridge receptacle. Is it must be separate circui

Some home owns fridge is only 300 w. It is not big power consumption
Rongshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongshu View Post
Some home owns fridge is only 300 w. It is not big power consumption
are you a licensed electrician??
The_Modifier, 99cents and Bird dog like this.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.THE NUCLEAR ELECTRICIAN
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,975

The rule is in Section 13.
MikeFL likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 12:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

your right, the fridge doesn't draw so many amps that it needs its own receptacle, but code requires it, thats politics for ya.
jboughto70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:51 AM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboughto70 View Post
your right, the fridge doesn't draw so many amps that it needs its own receptacle, but code requires it, thats politics for ya.
It's not politics. You could take out that little fridge and put in a power pig. I have seen 20 amp fridges.
electricguy likes this.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #6
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 7,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
It's not politics. You could take out that little fridge and put in a power pig. I have seen 20 amp fridges.
Wow! You have seen some serious shlt. I didn't know that. Are you OK friend?
macmikeman likes this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #7
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 308

The fridge is on a separate circuit because of starting amps on the compressor. They don't pull much once the compressor is running but starting is a high load at least in the older ones.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paulengr For This Useful Post:
Wiresmith (05-27-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,018

The largest draw on an average refrigerator is not the compressor, it's the defroster in the freezer. Once a day, the defrost timer shuts downs the compressor and turns on the heating element to melt the ice build up. Usually the heater is in the floor of the freezer section. I've seen them as high as 1,000 watts, most are around 750 watts. A typical compressor uses less than 500 watts in a new refrigerator.
Azachi likes this.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DDesign View Post
The largest draw on an average refrigerator is not the compressor, it's the defroster in the freezer. Once a day, the defrost timer shuts downs the compressor and turns on the heating element to melt the ice build up. Usually the heater is in the floor of the freezer section. I've seen them as high as 1,000 watts, most are around 750 watts. A typical compressor uses less than 500 watts in a new refrigerator.
at first i thought you were trolling so i decided to look for info cause some people these days believe just about anything someone says but yeah man you taught me something for sure ^.^

From Wikipedia if anyone cares to read and broaden their understanding:

The defrost mechanism in a refrigerator heats the cooling element (evaporator coil) for a short period of time and melts the frost that has formed on it. The resulting water drains through a duct at the back of the unit. Defrosting is controlled by an electric or electronic timer: For every 6, 8, 10, 12 or 24 hours of compressor operation it turns on a defrost heater for 15 minutes to half an hour. The defrost heater, having a typical power rating of 350 W to 600 W, is mounted just below the evaporator in top- and bottom-freezer models and below and sometimes also in the middle of the evaporator in side-by-side models. It may be protected from short circuits by means of fusible links. In older refrigerators the timer ran continuously. In newer designs the timer only runs while the compressor runs, so the more the refrigerator door is closed, the less the heater will be on and the more energy will be saved. A defrost thermostat opens the heater circuit when the evaporator temperature rises above a preset temperature, 40F (5C) or more, thereby preventing excessive heating of the freezer compartment. The defrost timer is such that either the compressor or the defrost heater is on, but not both at the same time.

Inside the freezer, air is circulated by means of one or more fans. In a typical design cold air from the freezer compartment is ducted to the fresh food compartment and circulated back into the freezer compartment. Air circulation helps sublimate any ice or frost that may form on frozen items in the freezer compartment.

Instead of the traditional cooling elements being embedded in the freezer liner, auto-defrost elements are behind or beneath the liner. This allows them to be heated for short periods of time to dispose of frost without heating the contents of the freezer.

Alternatively, some systems use the hot gas in the condenser to defrost the evaporator. This is done by means of a circuit that is cross-linked by a three-way valve. The hot gas quickly heats up the evaporator and defrosts it. This system is primarily used in commercial applications such as ice-cream displays.
Azachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azachi View Post
at first i thought you were trolling so i decided to look for info ^.^
Look at the amperage on the name plate of any refrigerator and then look at the amperage of the compressor. Since the compressor shuts down during defrost, and the heater has the largest demand, the name plate rating is the amperage of the defrost heater, not the compressor nor a combination of the two. I've never seen a compressor with a larger amperage than the heater.

If the freezer section of a refrigerator has large ice or frost build up, the defrost heater needs replaced. Disconnect it and measure continuity before replacing it. If the heater tests good, then the drainage tube is clogged. Water accumulates in an evaporator pan at the bottom of the appliance. It could also be the defrost timer or heater temperature limit control.
lumen and splatz like this.

Last edited by 3DDesign; 05-19-2018 at 04:14 PM.
3DDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #11

Very old refrigerators like pre-1950's did not have defrost timers and heaters.
The owner had to empty it, unplug it, and let the freezer section melt for about 12 hours. Many of them were damaged by the owner using an ice pick and accidently penetrating the refrigeration lines.
electricguy likes this.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DDesign View Post
Very old refrigerators like pre-1950's did not have defrost timers and heaters.
The owner had to empty it, unplug it, and let the freezer section melt for about 12 hours. Many of them were damaged by the owner using an ice pick and accidently penetrating the refrigeration lines.

And children that died getting trapped in them
electricguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4

While all of that is true, the main reason I want my refrigerator separate is I do not want anything else being able to trip that breaker. have too much money inside.
Sblk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sblk55 For This Useful Post:
Wiresmith (05-27-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #14
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

Every circuit in the kitchen has to be on its own circuit. Thats why remodels are so expensive.
tjb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,910

do you mean every circuit has to be on its own breaker
electricguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:22 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 7,520

2018 CEC code change on fridges. There must still be on a dedicated refrigerator circuit but you can put more than one on it. This is meant for bigger kitchens with small wine fridges etc as they do not require a dedicated circuit.
Borgi likes this.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #17
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
2018 CEC code change on fridges. There must still be on a dedicated refrigerator circuit but you can put more than one on it. This is meant for bigger kitchens with small wine fridges etc as they do not require a dedicated circuit.
What about the kitchen fridge and a beer fridge in the basement?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #18
Band Member

Rewards Points: 638

Quote:
You really need to change up that arrangement.

- You only go to the kitchen fridge 2-3 times a day
- You need to go to the beer fridge downstairs 12-24 times a day.

Move the most used fridge to the kitchen. (They actually mention that in Apendix B for 13-724(a)(ii)

99cents likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #19
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

He needs a code book.

Here is a cheap one @99cents...
https://psknight.com/cec

'18 code book (26-652(a)) seems to suggest refrigerators. The '15 code book (26-722(a)) seems to suggest refrigerator.

They change the rule #'s, -wording also so it's all too confusing for this guy. Glad I'm retiring.

Our Standata will probably get involved...

We are still on the '15 code here 99. So I guess a fridge is a fridge is a fridge.

^^ I just blew away 15 minutes on a fine Sunday morning on this.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by daveEM; 05-20-2018 at 11:01 AM.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 698

Quote:
mmmmm beer
Attached Images

We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.THE NUCLEAR ELECTRICIAN
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote