Latest"Plugged-In" newsletter - Highlight on convictions - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Navyguy
  • 1 Post By Bcec
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 2 Post By mcpickle

Old 06-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,118
Default Latest"Plugged-In" newsletter - Highlight on convictions

I found this interesting that there seems to be a highlight of convictions in this issue.

A few people from my area, but I don't know them. Seems like the dollar value is going up on the fines also.

There is a article on Defect Ratio for those that are interested and not from Ontario. You can see why we (those from Ontario) might be more concerned about defects then our counterparts across the country or in the USA.

https://www.esasafe.com/assets/files...er19-Final.pdf

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Navyguy; 06-03-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
I found this interesting that there seems to be a highlight of convictions in this issue.

A few people from my area, but I don't know them. Seems like the dollar value is going up on the fines also.

There is a article on Defect Ratio for those that are interested and not from Ontario. You can see why we (those from Ontario) might be more concerned about defects then our counterparts across the country or in the USA.

https://www.esasafe.com/assets/files...er19-Final.pdf

Cheers
John
I sure wish that they would crack down like that here in B.C.
electricguy likes this.
Bcec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:39 AM   #3
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcec View Post

I really wish they would make it mandatory for politicians at all levels, from city to President of the USA to take random , but routine drug tests. Then when they find one, off he goes to devil's island for a 5 yr stay. And investigate all the politicians all the way down to city council status for graft and bribery. Then they can get on with the unlicensed contractors after they clean up all that government mess.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macmikeman For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (06-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 12:52 AM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,552

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
I really wish they would make it mandatory for politicians at all levels, from city to President of the USA to take random , but routine drug tests. Then when they find one, off he goes to devil's island for a 5 yr stay. And investigate all the politicians all the way down to city council status for graft and bribery. Then they can get on with the unlicensed contractors after they clean up all that government mess.

Amen!

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #5
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 448

Quote:
There is a article on Defect Ratio for those that are interested and not from Ontario.
It's interesting that they are sending out quarterly letters on updating contractors on the ratio before they actually bring it into effect for the RBO.

ProTip: If you don't pull permits and don't get caught as per @HackWork's advice, your ratio will balance out faster.
Just kidding @HackWork We all love ya.

BRINGING RESPECT TO THE TRADES IS IMPERATIVE. DO YOUR PART!
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,980

Quote:

I been thinking of sending this to them on their facebook page
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6

fines still aren't high enough- these guys will be doing the entire job for cash-no HST,WSIB,CPP,insurance or income tax to pay let alone not paying for a simple permit. What rate could you work for if it was straight cash. Get caught-pay 3000, 25000 or whatever- cheaper than working legit.

esa defect ratio- my inspector denies it but it sure smells like its going to be like car insurance- the higher defect rate you carry the more $ the permit will be.
Our company estimator has had a lot of battles with Esa plan review getting defects on device counts.
Not uncommon for jobs to have several sets of initial drawings get reviewed and changed thru the design/bid process. Did esa plan review use the same set of drawings that
was submitted for the permit/plan review. Symbols on the drawing can be interpreted different- eg- digital lighting control-marked as a lighting control panel might actually be a simple remote dimming touchpad. It seems like they are after $. On larger jobs seas permit could be 40-50K$ or more- yet the inspector might be on site maybe 10x @ 1hr each visit say on a 2 year job.
Throw in all the stupid mandatory safety regs now; crappy design drawings done by a enginner kid that just cut/pastes drawings and nobody really reviews until you goto to install off of them and the
"amazing cell phone talent and work ethic" that our in coming new apprentices have- I'm glad I've only got a few years left to retire.
Max C. and Funksparky like this.
mcpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 584

Quote:
I've said it before and I will say it again - Technical Safety BC is focusing on the wrong things. They now expect contractors to pull a permit when replacing a couple light fixtures in somebody's living room. They are using technology in an attempt to "crack-down" on people purchasing and installing electrical supplies with no qualifications and/or permits. Yet, low-bid companies are wiring houses to sub-code standards en-mass and can do so freely without any intervention whatsoever.

In my area, plumbing inspections have a 100% show-up rate. Yet with electrical, if you've scrapped-by a few inspections in the past, TSBC magically declares you "reputable." It would all be fine and dandy if people didn't exploit this blatant loophole...

Here's what they're saying on the website, for anybody who's curious:

https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/blo...-light-fixture

https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/blo...ping-safety-bc

Max C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max C. View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again - Technical Safety BC is focusing on the wrong things. They now expect contractors to pull a permit when replacing a couple light fixtures in somebody's living room. They are using technology in an attempt to "crack-down" on people purchasing and installing electrical supplies with no qualifications and/or permits. Yet, low-bid companies are wiring houses to sub-code standards en-mass and can do so freely without any intervention whatsoever.

In my area, plumbing inspections have a 100% show-up rate. Yet with electrical, if you've scrapped-by a few inspections in the past, TSBC magically declares you "reputable." It would all be fine and dandy if people didn't exploit this blatant loophole...

Here's what they're saying on the website, for anybody who's curious:

https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/blo...-light-fixture

https://www.technicalsafetybc.ca/blo...ping-safety-bc

I was told by my inspector that the average inspection rate is 20%.

I don't understand what you mean when you reference blatant loophole. Are you referring to the inspection ratio?

To achieve a higher inspection rate is going to cost money. Was that their intent with requiring permits for everything? IDK.

The cost of unregistered permits, multiplied by the fact the EC is probably making more money off the backs of numerous, low-wage apprentices that are probably exceeding the Jman/apprentice ratio - only compounds the quality of work going into these projects.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:27 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinninwheels View Post
I don't understand what you mean when you reference blatant loophole. Are you referring to the inspection ratio?
Yup. In my opinion, the whole sentiment of "we'll inspect the new guys more" is unconvincing at best. Think of it this way - how easy is it for a third-rate, hack company to appear 100% legit? If they pull properly-valued permits where required and inspectors don't show up to their jobs, it wouldn't be difficult to maintain a low-profile.
Quote:
To achieve a higher inspection rate is going to cost money. Was that their intent with requiring permits for everything? IDK.
I doubt TSBC would be too tight on cash these days, especially with requiring FSR renewal every three years.
Quote:
The cost of unregistered permits, multiplied by the fact the EC is probably making more money off the backs of numerous, low-wage apprentices that are probably exceeding the Jman/apprentice ratio - only compounds the quality of work going into these projects.
Absolutely. Speaking from experience, its not uncommon to see a mid-size to large EC with plenty of unsupervised helpers running around.
Max C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:50 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 4
Default 100% inspections?

How much man power would be required for 100% inspections? Watch permit fees go up then! and I believe the requirement for permits for lighting is not created by tsbc but has been in the safety act for a very long time...people just don't read the act. either way there is no deigning there is a lot of people manipulating the system out there apprentices and helps etc etc...of course...if you knew about it why wouldn't you tell the inspectors?
YnotBsafe Elec Tric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4

FSR renewals??? what, you mean the 700,000$ every three years for all of bc?...I'm all for proving that my cred is valid...like most licenses...weeds out the not credible...seriously...$100 every three years...no real hit there.
YnotBsafe Elec Tric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:45 AM   #13
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 42

Quote:

Cheers
John

I think it's good idea Man !
Alexander1989 is offline   Reply With Quote