Load shedder with hot tub - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin_Essiambre
  • 2 Post By eddy current
  • 2 Post By NDC

Old 04-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
NDC

Rewards Points: 2,138
Default Load shedder with hot tub

Just wondering if these DCC load shedders can be used for hot tubs as well?
Any code rule that allows or disallows them to be used?
NDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #2
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC View Post
Just wondering if these DCC load shedders can be used for hot tubs as well?
Any code rule that allows or disallows them to be used?
I believe under the new 2018 code there is something against it saying that the equipment must be used as intended or something. I know people have used them for hot tubs though. I haven't taken the code update course yet (or even read the new book) so I can't tell you the reference.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
NDC likes this.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,520

Although it serves the same purpose reguardless of what load it controls, the code is specific to electric vehicles. I do believe inspectors allow them on any load, but it is something you need to ask them.

There is no code that says you can’t use them, but there is also no code that says using one on a hot tub allows you to not consider the hot tub when doing a load calculation.

Here is the code.
8-106(11) where an electric vehicle energy management system monitors the consumers service and feeders and controls the electric vehicle supply equipment loads, the demand for the electric vehicle supply equipment shall not be required to be considered in the determination of the calculated load.
NDC and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #4
NDC

Rewards Points: 2,138

Got this answer from ESA but I'm sure some inspectors will want final say. I guess we can use this answer as confirmation though. There is no code rule included though.

Topic: Swimming Pools, Hot Tubs & Whirlpool Tubs
Category: Hot Tub
Subject: Load Shedders used with hot tubs

Question:

Can a device such as https://dcc.technology/dcc-10/
which is designed for ev chargers
be used for hot tubs as well?

Answer:

--- (AskESA) 4/16/2019 9:34:28 AM
Yes, provided the load does not exceed the rating of the energy management equipment.

Reference is to the Ontario Electrical Safety Code 26th Edition/2015
MikeFL and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
NDC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NDC For This Useful Post:
Kevin_Essiambre (04-16-2019)