Minimum Circuit Ampacity - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree13Likes

Old 07-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Default Minimum Circuit Ampacity

Another topic in regards to McA and air conditioners.

This mini split has a Nameplate that states
MCA of 25A
And Max overcurrent of 35A

I believe I can run #12 wire to this unit on a 35A breaker l, it sits roughly 50ft away and a co worker says it has to be #10

What are your thoughts?

What would you run?
2604Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

max 35 amp is a max doesnt mean you cant use a 30. if the issue is voltage drop and thats why he is suggesting #10, you would want to know the actual run load amps to calculate voltage drop. # 10 is a safe bet.
tech50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 172

Your are welcome to install a breaker rated anywhere between the MCA and the Max overcurrent protection rating.

You will need a 25A or 30A breaker. I'd recommend 30A if it were me. As per CEC 14-104 (2), minimum wire size is #10. #12 is only good for a 20A breaker. This is unrelated to voltage drop.

Actual running amps is only about 80% of the MCA -> 20A. 50ft is not long enough to worry about voltage drop. #10 is good to go.
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
Certified Organic A-Hole

Rewards Points: 1,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2604Sparky View Post
Another topic in regards to McA and air conditioners.

This mini split has a Nameplate that states
MCA of 25A
And Max overcurrent of 35A

I believe I can run #12 wire to this unit on a 35A breaker l, it sits roughly 50ft away and a co worker says it has to be #10

What are your thoughts?

What would you run?
If the CEC is the same as the NEC you can run 12 AWG for any conducter other than NM (I forget what you guys call it) and UF. Everything else the 75 degree column ampacity is 25A for 12 AWG. And yes, you could put that on a 35A breaker, though a 30 is likely more readily available and probably won't ever be an issue.
pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Eng View Post
Your are welcome to install a breaker rated anywhere between the MCA and the Max overcurrent protection rating.

You will need a 25A or 30A breaker. I'd recommend 30A if it were me. As per CEC 14-104 (2), minimum wire size is #10. #12 is only good for a 20A breaker. This is unrelated to voltage drop.

Actual running amps is only about 80% of the MCA -> 20A. 50ft is not long enough to worry about voltage drop. #10 is good to go.

14-104(2) has an exception that refers you to the rule above it 14-104(1) (C)

That states the rating overcurrent rating shall not exceed the ampacity of conductors that they protect except as provided for by other rules of this code

Which section 28 allows for

Am I still wrong or just confused haha
2604Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2604Sparky View Post
14-104(2) has an exception that refers you to the rule above it 14-104(1) (C)

That states the rating overcurrent rating shall not exceed the ampacity of conductors that they protect except as provided for by other rules of this code

Which section 28 allows for

Am I still wrong or just confused haha
You are correct. 14-104 does not apply to equipment like motors, AC units and transformers because they have their own codes for wire size and overcurrent protection.

You are also correct in being able to run 12 awg wire as it is good for 25 amps in table 2 in the 75 degree column as long as the AC unit termination temp is also rated for 75 degrees.
tech50 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
You are correct. 14-104 does not apply to equipment like motors, AC units and transformers because they have their own codes for wire size and overcurrent protection.

You are also correct in being able to run 12 awg wire as it is good for 25 amps in table 2 in the 75 degree column as long as the AC unit termination temp is also rated for 75 degrees.
I guess I learn something new every day... but, from a practical point-of-view, isn't #12 wire connected to a 25A or 30A breaker a red flag for an electrical inspector? Rather than having to explain yourself and dig up nameplate data, wouldn't it be easier to run #10? Saving a few bucks on 50ft of wire hardly sounds worth it when you are pushing the maximum limits of the code.

What if the owner changed the A/C unit later and the MCA is 26A?
Old 07-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
I guess I learn something new every day... but, from a practical point-of-view, isn't #12 wire connected to a 25A or 30A breaker a red flag for an electrical inspector? Rather than having to explain yourself and dig up nameplate data, wouldn't it be easier to run #10? Saving a few bucks on 50ft of wire hardly sounds worth it when you are pushing the maximum limits of the code.

No red flag, It is common with motors.

for instance, say you had a motor with an FLA of 16 amps.

wire size would be 14awg (16 x 1.25) 28-106(1) and table 2 @ 75 degrees
breaker size would be 40 amp (16 x 2.5) 28-200(3) and Table 29

Last edited by Incognito; 07-04-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 792

I guess it always comes down to do you like to build to minimum standards or ....since the customer is paying for it ....improve on minimum standards . After all , that's what codes are....minimum acceptable standards .
scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,427

Quote:
No, it's common. IMO, running a larger conductor than necessary for an AC unit shows lack of code knowledge and experience. And I have had inspectors agree with that sentiment.

Quote:
What if you ran #10 and they upgrade the C unit to require 31A? We can what-if all day, but we won't get anywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #11
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,898

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
No red flag, It is common with motors.

for instance, say you had a motor with an FLA of 16 amps.

wire size would be 14awg (16 x 1.25) 28-106(1) and table 2 @ 75 degrees
breaker size would be 40 amp (16 x 2.5) 28-200(3) and Table 29

Basically it is very simuair situation to our NEC code on motor appaction so therefore our NEC code art 430 and 440 cover this very well so most of the wording pretty much match up to your CEC codes.

Edit.,,

No the situation as OP describing that is a run of mill item the USA guys been hitting often we just sized the conductor for MCA and max fuse/breaker size and that it.
Incognito likes this.

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 07-04-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: add more info after hackwork posted .,, Thanks Hack.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch View Post
I guess it always comes down to do you like to build to minimum standards or ....since the customer is paying for it ....improve on minimum standards . After all , that's what codes are....minimum acceptable standards .
This is not minimum standards, it's the right way to do it.

It's not different than saying "#10 is better for 20A circuits, so I will run that and tell the customer how much better than code I do my installations".

Running larger conductors for the AC units or other motor loads is in no way making a better installation.
Navyguy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
This is not minimum standards, it's the right way to do it.

It's not different than saying "#10 is better for 20A circuits, so I will run that and tell the customer how much better than code I do my installations".

Running larger conductors for the AC units or other motor loads is in no way making a better installation.
#6 is so much better than #10. What a jackleg.
HackWork and telsa like this.
HackWork (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
#6 is so much better than #10. What a jackleg.
Your sarcasm shows how crazy it is to say that code is minimum and using larger wire is somehow better.

Yes, code is the minimum, but there are many things that do not yield any benefit by doing more than that minimum.

I just ran romex thru a basement this morning. Would it give the customer any benefit if I ran rigid? Explosion proof?
Bird dog likes this.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #15
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Your sarcasm shows how crazy it is to say that code is minimum and using larger wire is somehow better.

Yes, code is the minimum, but there are many things that do not yield any benefit by doing more than that minimum.

I just ran romex thru a basement this morning. Would it give the customer any benefit if I ran rigid? Explosion proof?
MI cable or nothing.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post
MI cable or nothing.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Jesus, what is wrong with you guys? MI cable in rigid is how to do it right.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:55 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 792

Here I thought we were talking about Motors and Hermetic Compressors ....and the unit nameplate doesn't take into account circuit length or ambient temperature correction factors ...you do that .
So I don't see how upsizing by a wire size is such a huge mistake given the parameters he described ....for motors and compressors.
scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Here I thought we were talking about Motors and Hermetic Compressors ....and the unit nameplate doesn't take into account circuit length or ambient temperature correction factors ...you do that .
So I don't see how upsizing by a wire size is such a huge mistake given the parameters he described ....for motors and compressors.
Because the nameplate and code tell us what to do, and doing more than that is silly.
MTW likes this.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #19
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
Of course oversizing is not a huge mistake, I don’t believe anyone said that but it is not required so why do it?

The OP never mentioned ambient temp being over 30 degrees so I doubt that is an issue. And a #12 awg at that ampacity can be run 62 ft at a 3% drop. That is assuming the voltage is 208. If the voltage is 240, it could go 72 feet.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #20
MTW

Rewards Points: 11,414

Quote:
Unless the unit was grossly undersized originally, there is zero chance that will happen. Energy codes are getting stricter every year and a/c units are now more efficient than they have ever been. Changing out units nowadays requires the breaker size to be decreased, not increased.
908Eng likes this.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote