Motor Feeder Conductor Temperature Rating - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Incognito

Old 04-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default Motor Feeder Conductor Temperature Rating

I was looking at some cable sizing for an Industrial MCC and i looking at the MCC Details, Allen Bradley 2100 MCC, it says

"MCCs are rated for use with 75 C (167 F) cable. Cable must be sized by using a 75 C (167 F) column in NEC Table 310.15 (B) (16) (NFPA 70-2017). The temperature rating of the lugs is not relevant."

Although that is for NEC, but i am presuming CEC would be the same.

Just searching i ran into the discussion below which seems to suggest that if the motor is Class A, then 90C table is acceptable.

electriciantalk.com/f31/motor-feed-conductor-temperature-rating-82729/

My understanding is that all sizing needs to be done per the 75C table, as that's what the MCC design suggests, but wondering if that is not necessary or covered somehow differently in code.
arbitarytwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
RSE Electrician

Rewards Points: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitarytwist View Post
I was looking at some cable sizing for an Industrial MCC and i looking at the MCC Details, Allen Bradley 2100 MCC, it says

"MCCs are rated for use with 75 C (167 F) cable. Cable must be sized by using a 75 C (167 F) column in NEC Table 310.15 (B) (16) (NFPA 70-2017). The temperature rating of the lugs is not relevant."

Although that is for NEC, but i am presuming CEC would be the same.

Just searching i ran into the discussion below which seems to suggest that if the motor is Class A, then 90C table is acceptable.

electriciantalk.com/f31/motor-feed-conductor-temperature-rating-82729/

My understanding is that all sizing needs to be done per the 75C table, as that's what the MCC design suggests, but wondering if that is not necessary or covered somehow differently in code.
Only the first 1.2 meters of conductor connected to the MCC would have to be rated at 75 degrees, not the whole length from MCC to the motor. 4-006(5)

Same goes for the conductor connected to the motor. If the motor is a class “A” motor and 90 degree rated conductors are used, only the fist 1.2 m of conductor connected to the motor is permitted to be rated at 90 degrees. 28-104(2)+(3)

Wiring from junction box to junction box that is not connected to any equipment can have it’s ampacity rated at the temperature rating of the conductor. 4-006 is only for wires connected to equipment.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.

Last edited by Incognito; 04-19-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Incognito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Only the first 1.2 meters of conductor connected to the MCC would have to be rated at 75 degrees, not the whole length from MCC to the motor. 4-006(5)

Same goes for the conductor connected to the motor. If the motor is a class A motor and 90 degree rated conductors are used, only the fist 1.2 m of conductor connected to the motor is permitted to be rated at 90 degrees. 28-104(2)+(3)

Wiring from junction box to junction box that is not connected to any equipment can have its ampacity rated at the temperature rating of the conductor. 4-006 is only for wires connected to equipment.
So in that case its 75C if you go direct from MCC to Motor Class A or not if the MCC is "rated for 75C"
arbitarytwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
RSE Electrician

Rewards Points: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitarytwist View Post

So in that case its 75C if you go direct from MCC to Motor Class A or not if the MCC is "rated for 75C"
Yes.