Neutral required to be ran to generator? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Old 02-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 201
Default Neutral required to be ran to generator?

At a sewage pumping station we have a stand by generator that is used to supply power to the entire station if power is lost. It is fed from a transfer switch inside a MCC. The MCC has no neutral loads, it is strictly 600 volts.

A few questions:

Does a neutral still need to be run to the generator?
If yes, then we plan to run the neutral wire to the generator and connect it to the neutral bar inside the transfer switch. Inside the generator the neutral will be floating, and the frame of the generator connected to a bonding conductor which is then connected to the MCC ground bar.

If no neutral is run to the generator, then the neutral and frame of the generator will connected together inside the generator. Do we then also need to connect this point to a ground electrode?

I want to see what you guys say. I have had conflicting answers from electrical inspectors. Some say no neutral is required, some say it is. They also say no neutral is required and no ground electrode to the generator.

Last edited by lynes.nathan; 02-02-2016 at 09:27 PM.
lynes.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 619

I would have said no ground electrode at the generator as it's not a separately derived system.
RFguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 332

No neutral required, there is Neutral connection point at the Gen set:

1. 3 phases from Gen set to Transfer Switch.
2. 1 bonding (Chasis) wire from Generator set to Ground bar at Transfer switch and from transfer switch to MCC.

If still in doubt, call the Gen supplier, they are more familiar with this type of installation than the inspector, in my case was Cullen, they were very helpful.
nomadapower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadapower View Post

2. 1 bonding (Chasis) wire from Generator set to Ground bar at Transfer switch and from transfer switch to MCC.

If still in doubt, call the Gen supplier, they are more familiar with this type of installation than the inspector, in my case was Cullen, they were very helpful.
Single line of it:
Attached Thumbnails
Neutral required to be ran to generator?-capture.jpg  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nomadapower For This Useful Post:
51360 (02-03-2016), lynes.nathan (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadapower View Post

The inspector is allowing us to not run a neutral and no ground electrode is required. The neutral and frame will be bonded together at the generator.
The Following User Says Thank You to lynes.nathan For This Useful Post:
nomadapower (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynes.nathan View Post
The inspector is allowing us to not run a neutral and no ground electrode is required. The neutral and frame will be bonded together at the generator.
Thanks for the feed back
The Following User Says Thank You to nomadapower For This Useful Post:
lynes.nathan (02-21-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,090

Quote:
At a sewage pumping station we have a stand by generator that is used to supply power to the entire station if power is lost. It is fed from a transfer switch inside a MCC. The MCC has no neutral loads, it is strictly 600 volts.

A few questions:

Does a neutral still need to be run to the generator?
If yes, then we plan to run the neutral wire to the generator and connect it to the neutral bar inside the transfer switch. Inside the generator the neutral will be floating, and the frame of the generator connected to a bonding conductor which is then connected to the MCC ground bar.

If no neutral is run to the generator, then the neutral and frame of the generator will connected together inside the generator. Do we then also need to connect this point to a ground electrode?

I want to see what you guys say. I have had conflicting answers from electrical inspectors. Some say no neutral is required, some say it is. They also say no neutral is required and no ground electrode to the generator.
Quote:
So, is the main service grounded? If not, i will assume there is suitable ground fault detection, as per 10-106(2)!

No problem not grounding the generator if ground fault detection is used at the main service MCC, and the ungrounded generator feeds that system. Correct?

Maybe I am not understanding how this station is supplied.

Borgi
51360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgi View Post
So, is the main service grounded? If not, i will assume there is suitable ground fault detection, as per 10-106(2)!

No problem not grounding the generator if ground fault detection is used at the main service MCC, and the ungrounded generator feeds that system. Correct?

Maybe I am not understanding how this station is supplied.

Borgi

Yes the main service is grounded. The service supplying the station is 600/347 Y.
The Following User Says Thank You to lynes.nathan For This Useful Post:
51360 (03-01-2016)