New Red Seal license test for Ontario - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree10Likes

Old 06-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 7,520
Default New Red Seal license test for Ontario

Apparently someone was caught cheating and they think a copy is out there so all tests have been cancelled until July as they make a new test.
Kevin_Essiambre and Martine like this.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
Apparently someone was caught cheating and they think a copy is out there so all tests have been cancelled until July as they make a new test.
Damn it, I guess selling the "answer sheets" I made up will be useless to sell now.
eddy current and 99cents like this.

BRINGING RESPECT TO THE TRADES IS IMPERATIVE. DO YOUR PART!
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 196

that's crazy, i never thought stuff like that would happen as i've heard before they have a back up test in a vault somewhere in case a test becomes invalid for this specific reason
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Azachi is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
NDC

Rewards Points: 2,144

When I wrote my exam some kid was bragging about how he paid $800 for the 4 different copies of the exam. He ended up passing. Said he studied those 4 exams to death.
Had he put the same effort into studying he probably would have passed anyway.

I wonder if the cheater has to pay for all the costs involved. Probably not.
Any word on how they were caught?

Last edited by NDC; 06-27-2018 at 10:31 PM.
NDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 538

Quick question Eddy!

I thought red seal was for all of Canada? AKA testing on the Canadian code and not provincial. Why would the new test be only in Ontario?
Martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martine View Post
Quick question Eddy!

I thought red seal was for all of Canada? AKA testing on the Canadian code and not provincial. Why would the new test be only in Ontario?
Good question. Yes it is on the Canadian code. Iíve always wondered if the test is exactly the same in each province. I donít think it is.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,469

Quote:
Good question. Yes it is on the Canadian code. Iíve always wondered if the test is exactly the same in each province. I donít think it is.
It is a good question. One would think that testing to an interprovincial standard would be standard.
glen1971 and Martine like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
They might have different variations of the same test, but in that case I don't know why they wouldn't have just taken a test from a different province instead of creating a brand new one. SO MYSTERIOUS
eddy current likes this.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #9

In Ontario there is more than one test. I have had students who wrote many times who get a different test every time. Some say there are three tests, some say as many as 6
Old 06-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
They might have different variations of the same test, but in that case I don't know why they wouldn't have just taken a test from a different province instead of creating a brand new one. SO MYSTERIOUS
Do you have Red Seal in Quebec, Martine? This has always confused me.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Do you have Red Seal in Quebec, Martine? This has always confused me.
Yes we do! I'll be starting it as soon as I'm done school in February. I'm out for the summer until early August, and fishing season is upon us

We have a bunch of different grants available too, we have one run by the CCQ (construction commission of Quebec) that matches the red seal grant for apprentices too, so we get double.

I just finished this last week, finished my heating exam!
eddy current and 99cents like this.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Yes we do! I'll be starting it as soon as I'm done school in February. I'm out for the summer until early August, and fishing season is upon us

We have a bunch of different grants available too, we have one run by the CCQ (construction commission of Quebec) that matches the red seal grant for apprentices too, so we get double.

I just finished this last week, finished my heating exam!
Cool.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #13

The cheating part I heard about from a student who was scheduled to write but the test was postponed. I called the ministry last week to ask about it. They told me all they knew was the test was being changed due to inconsistencies and will be ready first week of July. They also confirmed that it will still be on the 2015 CEC.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #14

Quote:
The cheating part I heard about from a student who was scheduled to write but the test was postponed. I called the ministry last week to ask about it. They told me all they knew was the test was being changed due to inconsistencies and will be ready first week of July. They also confirmed that it will still be on the 2015 CEC.
that makes sense, considering the new Quebec code is the modified version of the 2015, we haven't even adopted the 2018 CEC yet
Old 06-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #15

Quote:
that makes sense, considering the new Quebec code is the modified version of the 2015, we haven't even adopted the 2018 CEC yet
Quebec is always one code behind for some reason. They are just now adopting the 2015 where the rest of Canada is going to the 2018 soon.

Ontario and many other provinces will be on the 2018 code by Christmas or Jan 2019 latest and same goes for the red seal license exam here in Ontario.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Quebec is always one code behind for some reason. They are just now adopting the 2015 where the rest of Canada is going to the 2018 soon.

Ontario and many other provinces will be on the 2018 code by Christmas or Jan 2019 latest and same goes for the red seal license exam here in Ontario.
It *might* be because we have the code in french also, and I'm sure translating it takes a lot of work. I don't know if Ontario and the other provinces have it available in both languages.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:07 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 3,698

Quote:
Quick question Eddy!

In Alberta, there are 2 tests.. One for your fourth year, and one for the IP.. When we worked in Ontario in the late 90's, those without an IP had to write the Ontario test. Don't quote me on the percentages, but if they got over 65 they got the Ontario journeyman certificate and if you get over 70 they got the IP.. The guys taking the test were sweating bullets, as the test had everything on it!
Not sure if things have changed since then..
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
In Alberta, there are 2 tests.. One for your fourth year, and one for the IP.. When we worked in Ontario in the late 90's, those without an IP had to write the Ontario test. Don't quote me on the percentages, but if they got over 65 they got the Ontario journeyman certificate and if you get over 70 they got the IP.. The guys taking the test were sweating bullets, as the test had everything on it!
Not sure if things have changed since then..
I have worked with many older guys who have that old license. No more provincial in Ontario. Itís red seal only with a 70% pass now
Old 07-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #19

Quote:
It *might* be because we have the code in french also, and I'm sure translating it takes a lot of work. I don't know if Ontario and the other provinces have it available in both languages.
Yes it is in both French and English in Ontario
Old 07-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 3,698

Quote:
I have worked with many older guys who have that old license. No more provincial in Ontario. Itís red seal only with a 70% pass now
But only one test?
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote