Notching stud for two gang box, homeowner is mad. - Page 22 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum


Like Tree401Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2020, 10:46 PM   #421
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 23,708
Rewards Points: 2,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofos be cray View Post
In the interest of bumping the count I'll supplement the OPs question: those of you who said no notch would you change your mind if the framing was different wood? I.e Douglas fir
Steel stud?

I know it’s not wood but what the hell.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2020, 11:17 PM   #422
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 455
Rewards Points: 910
Default

What was the original post about?
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:21 PM   #423
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: canada
Posts: 299
Rewards Points: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1jb1 View Post
What was the original post about?
OP notched out a 2x6 in an exterior wall and the carpenter said he'd fail the framing inspection because of it.
mofos be cray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2020, 11:22 PM   #424
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: canada
Posts: 299
Rewards Points: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofos be cray View Post
In the interest of bumping the count I'll supplement the OPs question: those of you who said no notch would you change your mind if the framing was different wood? I.e Douglas fir
Steel stud?

I know it’️s not wood but what the hell.
I definitely wouldn't notch steel stud.
99cents likes this.
mofos be cray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:30 PM   #425
Electrical Contractor
 
wcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 4,110
Rewards Points: 2,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
We need to steer this back to how only “properly” apprenticed electricians are real electricians, and how ANYONE else is merely a laborer, perhaps with some electrical skills.
to help the post count

Wikipedia

United States[edit]
In the United States, employment in some building trades, such as an electrician, carpenter, plumber, machinist, and HVAC contractor, usually requires holding state or local (city or county) license as a journeyman or master. The license certifies that the craftsman has met the requirements of time in the field (usually a minimum of 8,000 hours) and time in an approved classroom setting (usually 700 hours). A journeyman has the responsibility of supervising workers of lesser experience and training them and has the qualifications (knowledge and skills) to work unsupervised himself. A journeyman is commonly expected to have a wide range of experience, covering most fields of their trade. For example, a non-journeyman worker of some 20 or 30 years' experience may have most or all of their experience in only residential, commercial, or industrial applications. A journeyman, however, has a broad field of experience in residential, commercial, and industrial applications.
__________________
.
Don't waste your time arguing with idiots/trolls, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
wcord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:47 PM   #426
Banned
 
JoeSparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 1,879
Rewards Points: 1,953
Default

If it was mahogany, I would have mortised it and put 3 coats of tung oil and hand rubbed it with bee's wax.
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:59 PM   #427
MTW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 16,414
Rewards Points: 12,010
Default

Hi Joey
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:05 AM   #428
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: canada
Posts: 299
Rewards Points: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
If it was mahogany, I would have mortised it and put 3 coats of tung oil and hand rubbed it with bee's wax.
Yeah but what about the framing?
mofos be cray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:13 AM   #429
...woke...
 
cuba_pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,914
Rewards Points: 3,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
We need to steer this back to how only “properly” apprenticed electricians are real electricians, and how ANYONE else is merely a laborer, perhaps with some electrical skills.
In the days of Isaac Newton, conjurers and street magicians who had an interest in electricity called themselves "electricians".
__________________
To build a cenotaph, you must first choose a million victims
cuba_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:04 AM   #430
Conductor Protector
 
Funksparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 211
Rewards Points: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
When I work in Massachusetts, most towns have adopted a the "stretch" energy code. I don't have the full details, but it has to do with limiting the amount of air movement between inside and outside.
I, for the most part do not work for GCs. When I am bidding a job for the owner, I ask them if they are using fiberglass or spray foam for insulation in the walls/ ceilings. If they are spray foaming, I price for and use cheap Carlon or P&S nail on boxes. If they are using fiberglass, I price and use T&B vapor tight boxes on all the walls/ceilings facing in walls opposing unheated spaces. Even when the stretch code is not involved, I explain the benefits to them to the homeowner and tell them they are a bit more expensive, but worth it.
How many of us with cold winters have replaced outside wall outlets and found the homeowner installed those useless foam gaskets behind the plates to try and stop the drafts through them. A Vapor tight box and a little squirt of closed cell behind them in a 2x4 wall before they fiberglass makes a big difference on a cold/windy day

Heyyyy! What the heck? those boxes don't have any bonding strap in them!!!!
Funksparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:07 AM   #431
Conductor Protector
 
Funksparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 211
Rewards Points: 70
Default

Wow what a long thread

Last edited by Funksparky; 06-01-2020 at 02:09 AM.
Funksparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:10 AM   #432
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canada B.C.
Posts: 54
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
If it was mahogany, I would have mortised it and put 3 coats of tung oil and hand rubbed it with bee's wax.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:46 AM   #433
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,075
Rewards Points: 2,782
Default

You do realize you don't have to serve any kind of apprenticeship to post on wikipedia, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcord View Post
to help the post count

Wikipedia

United States[edit]
In the United States, employment in some building trades, such as an electrician, carpenter, plumber, machinist, and HVAC contractor, usually requires holding state or local (city or county) license as a journeyman or master. The license certifies that the craftsman has met the requirements of time in the field (usually a minimum of 8,000 hours) and time in an approved classroom setting (usually 700 hours). A journeyman has the responsibility of supervising workers of lesser experience and training them and has the qualifications (knowledge and skills) to work unsupervised himself. A journeyman is commonly expected to have a wide range of experience, covering most fields of their trade. For example, a non-journeyman worker of some 20 or 30 years' experience may have most or all of their experience in only residential, commercial, or industrial applications. A journeyman, however, has a broad field of experience in residential, commercial, and industrial applications.
__________________
The more you know, the less you need.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:51 AM   #434
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 10,075
Rewards Points: 2,782
Default

Every single one of you Canadians should thank your lucky stars that I never served an apprenticeship. I am just short of Dr. Evil capabilities without it, with an apprenticeship would have put me over the top. I'd certainly be running this country by now and if I was running this country, you'd be the 51st state, Canaducky, or maybe Canasee. You'd be getting robbed of your resources and bled for cheap labor and tax base by our major metropolitan areas, marginalized and frustrated. Almost all of you would be holding your nose and voting for Trump.
HackWork, 460 Delta and CoolWill like this.
__________________
The more you know, the less you need.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:02 AM   #435
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 23,708
Rewards Points: 2,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Every single one of you Canadians should thank your lucky stars that I never served an apprenticeship. I am just short of Dr. Evil capabilities without it, with an apprenticeship would have put me over the top. I'd certainly be running this country by now and if I was running this country, you'd be the 51st state, Canaducky, or maybe Canasee. You'd be getting robbed of your resources and bled for cheap labor and tax base by our major metropolitan areas, marginalized and frustrated. Almost all of you would be holding your nose and voting for Trump.
Huh? Don’t touch your face!
splatz likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:09 AM   #436
Knotted Ropes Skeery
 
CoolWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SC
Posts: 4,287
Rewards Points: 1,652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Every single one of you Canadians should thank your lucky stars that I never served an apprenticeship. I am just short of Dr. Evil capabilities without it, with an apprenticeship would have put me over the top. I'd certainly be running this country by now and if I was running this country, you'd be the 51st state, Canaducky, or maybe Canasee. You'd be getting robbed of your resources and bled for cheap labor and tax base by our major metropolitan areas, marginalized and frustrated. Almost all of you would be holding your nose and voting for Trump.
I'd like to see them become a state. The fourth state... of matter.
splatz likes this.
__________________
So here is how its going to go. I am going to leave you alone. And you will do the same for me.
But, should you give me anymore trouble, one of us is leaving here.
CoolWill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #437
Banned
 
JoeSparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 1,879
Rewards Points: 1,953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funksparky View Post
Heyyyy! What the heck? those boxes don't have any bonding strap in them!!!!
Us electricians in the US don't need to "bond" a plastic box There are silly bare and green wires run in the cables that you hook to the little green screw on the device. Sounds dangerous and complicated, Huh
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #438
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 23,708
Rewards Points: 2,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
Us electricians in the US don't need to "bond" a plastic box There are silly bare and green wires run in the cables that you hook to the little green screw on the device. Sounds dangerous and complicated, Huh
You’re dangerous and complicated.
JoeSparky likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #439
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Welland, Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,760
Rewards Points: 5,712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
Us electricians in the US don't need to "bond" a plastic box There are silly bare and green wires run in the cables that you hook to the little green screw on the device. Sounds dangerous and complicated, Huh
Topping tonight's news, fire in Buffalo, fire in Lackawana, fire in Amherst, etc, etc, etc

Cheers
John
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #440
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 23,708
Rewards Points: 2,827
Default

The winner of post #500 wins a pair of very nice wire twisters (which may or may not be Milwaukee linesman’s pliers with fried cutting edges). Shipping and handling not included.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com