Public transportation - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By zeppelin99
  • 1 Post By Incognito
  • 1 Post By Cosmorok
  • 1 Post By joe-nwt

Old 11-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Public transportation

Hey I'm about to do my final 6 weeks of school and write my block 4 and red seal. I'm planning on moving to a bigger city than my current one either somewhere in ontario or maybe halifax. I'm wondering if public transit is reliable for work in a bigger city as I do not have a drivers license. I'm getting my construction electrician certificate which means I'm considered a commercial/residential electrician. I've mostly done commercial work with some residential. With my certificate however, industrial jobs would hire me as well which I'm considering as it would always be the same commute. Thoughts?
zeppelin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 954

Yes public transit is good in some cities but you should get your drivers license
Old 11-01-2019, 11:18 PM   #3
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Yes public transit is good in some cities but you should get your drivers license
Some people can't , but they can still work, er sort of.... I have a son in law with a light dose of autism. Light as in he holds a job just fine, is one semester short of teaching credentials, can hold a conversation well enough, slightly dorky, but my daughter likes him as he is just fine. And he walks to work every day cause slight autism and you don't get a Hawaii Drivers license.
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 12:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,024

Here in St. Louis public transportation sucks. Plus, in some areas you take your life into your own hands, just too dangerous. The one place you definitely need carry conceal is public transportation. IIRC Federal law put a stop to it years ago.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 36

I can only speak on the two cities in Canada I've lived in (I was also way up north in Québec but there isn't any real road system), London and Montréal. I would work on getting a driver's licence in London, public transit is bad on many levels. Montréal's is a lot better but I couldn't imagine carrying tools and going to job to job on a bus or metro. Work on getting a licence ASAP regardless where you live would be my suggestion, it'll look better in the eyes of your future employer. You will even get to drive the work can eventually
Cosmorok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2

I am aware that having a license is the better option but because I was young and a total idiot and had a sever drinking problem (I am now one year sober with zero ambition to ever touch another drop of alcohol) I have to wait another 3 years to have my license back. A 2 year suspension for a second dui plus having to start all over from getting my beginners to the drivers test which is another year. Luckily i never crashed or hurt anyone so it could have been much worse. It did get me to finally get my **** together and quit alcohol completely though so for that I'm thankful. I'm 28 now and about to finish my apprenticeship so I'm just hoping that I didn't completely ruin my life in being able to get to work if I rely on public transit. I also heard I could get an ebike but that might be difficult to do with all my tools unless I got a giant military backpack
joe-nwt likes this.
zeppelin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #7
RSE Master Electrician

Good on you for sobering up.

It all depends on the type of work you get and the employer. Small company that works in different locations daily would be difficult. Large company with a large job you could be going to the same location for a long time, but that would most likely be a union shop. If your lucky, someone you work might live close to you and can pick you up and drop you off.
Navyguy likes this.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Some people can't , but they can still work, er sort of.... I have a son in law with a light dose of autism. Light as in he holds a job just fine, is one semester short of teaching credentials, can hold a conversation well enough, slightly dorky, but my daughter likes him as he is just fine. And he walks to work every day cause slight autism and you don't get a Hawaii Drivers license.
Sounds like a violation of the ADA act by the government, I smell lawsuit. Better Call Saul.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
Sounds like a violation of the ADA act by the government, I smell lawsuit. Better Call Saul.
They don't let blind people drive either. Or epileptics. I think it probably has already been tested and found solid . Driving is a privilege , not a right.
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
They don't let blind people drive either. Or epileptics. I think it probably has already been tested and found solid . Driving is a privilege , not a right.
Reasonable accommodation is the key word, blind or epileptic people wouldn't be as easy or reasonable to accommodate. Refuse to hire a high functioning, autistic, Aspergers person and you'l find out how solid case law is.
As far as driving being a privilege, well that is if you believe the government affords you rights and not God himself.
I need @MTW to back me on this.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
Reasonable accommodation is the key word, blind or epileptic people wouldn't be as easy or reasonable to accommodate. Refuse to hire a high functioning, autistic, Aspergers person and you'l find out how solid case law is.
As far as driving being a privilege, well that is if you believe the government affords you rights and not God himself.
I need @MTW to back me on this.
Some jobs a drivers licence is a requirement. Even some electrical positions will require one.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin99 View Post
I am aware that having a license is the better option but because I was young and a total idiot and had a sever drinking problem (I am now one year sober with zero ambition to ever touch another drop of alcohol) I have to wait another 3 years to have my license back. A 2 year suspension for a second dui plus having to start all over from getting my beginners to the drivers test which is another year. Luckily i never crashed or hurt anyone so it could have been much worse. It did get me to finally get my **** together and quit alcohol completely though so for that I'm thankful. I'm 28 now and about to finish my apprenticeship so I'm just hoping that I didn't completely ruin my life in being able to get to work if I rely on public transit. I also heard I could get an ebike but that might be difficult to do with all my tools unless I got a giant military backpack
If you can explain the situation to a potential employer and let them see you're worth the long term investment then, I don't see why you couldn't get rides(if a co-worker lives near by) or make another arrangement. Another option might be to work a different job closer to home until you get your licence back, either way congrats on the sobriety and I wish you best of luck
macmikeman likes this.
Cosmorok is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cosmorok For This Useful Post:
macmikeman (11-03-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 84

Especially in construction, there's no telling where the next job will be. Most employers insist on a DL (own vehicle implied) so he can count on you no matter where the work goes. It also lets you pack your stuff to the next job.

That said, I spent half my apprenticeship using public transit or car-pooling with co-workers... just to keep costs down. One job takes you 50miles out of town; the next one takes you downtown where you don't want drive or park anyway.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin99 View Post
Congrats on turning your life around. Keep up the good work!
Navyguy likes this.
joe-nwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:50 AM   #15
FTC

Rewards Points: 32

Try get into a construction oil and gas job. Some require you to take a company bus to and from site.
FTC is offline   Reply With Quote