Red Seal Exam Help - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree10Likes

Old 03-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Red Seal Exam Help

Hi all,

I will be writing the Construction Red Seal Exam in one month. I have purchased the CEPE 2015 program and have been studying with it everyday. Just wondering if there are any other materials that people have used to help pass the exam, as well as any other tips, hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
fotorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

What Province?
P-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 378

if you score 80% on your CEPE mock exam than you should pass the real one. It worked for me.
karl_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,077

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotorious View Post
Hi all,

I will be writing the Construction Red Seal Exam in one month. I have purchased the CEPE 2015 program and have been studying with it everyday. Just wondering if there are any other materials that people have used to help pass the exam, as well as any other tips, hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
One of the best aspects of the CEPE is the 100 question test with timer. Prepares you for time management.
Rob2019 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotorious View Post
any other tips, hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reading is very important when applying yourself to things. Take for instance, the user sign up agreement when you clicked "ok" and said that you would fill out your profile.The province in your profile will help others on the forum that are in your area and occasionally lets those south of the border know that you are asking in regards to a Canadian based question when you accidentally posted in the general section.

You're doing a great thing by asking for help- it keeps those older and less handsome electricians on their toes and in the know.

Oh, and Study sections 4-14 with appendices B&G. Forget studying sections 5,7,9,11& 15- There's nothing on the test with them.But they area good read from time to time. Oh! And don't high light in black magic marker- don't ask me how I found that out.

You'll do fine, and welcome to the forum.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Modifier View Post
Oh! And don't high light in black magic marker- don't ask me how I found that out.
Many years ago I left a code book open on the dining room table and my daughter coloured in all my highlights with a black marker!
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 40

Hello

I joined this group today.
I need some guidance on getting Electrician licence and have some basic questions:

1) Are Industrial and Construction Electrician Licences different?

2) What is Master Electrician Licence and is there any code for this?

3) To get an idea of the standard of the exam for Master Electrician, how can I get some sample exam questions for Free? So then I will know if I can do it or not.

Thank you
Rob2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2019 View Post
Hello

I need some guidance on getting Electrician licence and have some basic questions:

3) To get an idea of the standard of the exam for Master Electrician, how can I get some sample exam questions for Free? So then I will know if I can do it or not.

Thank you
Welcome Rob.

Fill out your profile so everyone knows where you're from. That will dictate requirements, etc for your provincial licencing.
The_Modifier likes this.
The_Modifier (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinninwheels View Post
One of the best aspects of the CEPE is the 100 question test with timer. Prepares you for time management.
Spinningwheels,
I updated my profile.

Regards
spinninwheels likes this.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Welcome Rob.

Fill out your profile so everyone knows where you're from. That will dictate requirements, etc for your provincial licencing.
Spinningwheels,
I updated my profile.

Regards
Old 03-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Hello

Thank you
So you're in Hog Town, the Ontario guys should be able to answer your questions.

I know there's 2 classes of licences there, but from what I gather the construction electrician is what you'd want. Not the industrial.

Not sure how long you have to be a Red Seal before you can write your Masters.

If you don't get a response from @eddy current or @Navyguy or @emtnut or @The Modifier , maybe do a search on Ontario Masters Licencing. Or start a new thread.

Good luck.

Last edited by spinninwheels; 03-07-2019 at 04:13 PM.
spinninwheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 7,520

Quote:
Hello

Yes they are different. Industrial is not a compulsory trade meaning you don't have to be licenced to do that work and you can only work in an industrial establishment. Construction and maintenance electrician is compulsory and you can work in residential, commercial and industrial.

Every electrical contractor in Ontario must be or employ one master electrician. You must be licenced and work as a electrician for three years before you can take the masters test. Check esasafe.com for more info on the masters testing

Nothing is free. Again check the ESA website for info on the masters test and who can write it.
Thank you
spinninwheels likes this.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:51 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4

I wrote my red seal exam in Ontario October 2018. I used the CEPE 2015 program. I used the app for about a month straight did the 100 question practice test twice a day until I was getting 90s every attempt. After doing so I had no trouble with the exam scoring a 86%. So yes I recommend studying with the CEPE 2015 program. If you put enough time into it you shouldn't have a problem the app is great for helping you to get to know the code book.Good luck!!!
IBMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #14

Quote:
So you're in Hog Town, the Ontario guys should be able to answer your questions.

I know there's 2 classes of licences there, but from what I gather the construction electrician is what you'd want. Not the industrial.

Not sure how long you have to be a Red Seal before you can write your Masters.

If you don't get a response from @eddy current or @Navyguy or @emtnut or @The Modifier , maybe do a search on Ontario Masters Licencing. Or start a new thread.

Good luck.
Thanks Spinnwheels,

Actually I am looking for Industrial one.

Rob
Old 04-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
Thanks.

Is CE Code book 2015 any free pdf copy or downloadable link available?

Any In-class or Online courses available to prepare for the exam, study material
Are sample questions-Answers with explanations, pre-exam tests available?
Old 04-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #16
Band Member

Rewards Points: 618

Quote:
Thanks Spinnwheels,

Actually I am looking for Industrial one.

Rob
Can your employer sign off on all the electrical related work you have done ?

You can check the OCOT site, and see what would be required.
https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/wp-co...an_Nov2015.pdf

Note: The Industrial cert only allows you to do work for an employer in a plant or factory. For the most part, it is just maintenance.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #17
Band Member

Rewards Points: 618

Quote:
Thanks.

Is CE Code book 2015 any free pdf copy or downloadable link available?

Any In-class or Online courses available to prepare for the exam, study material
Are sample questions-Answers with explanations, pre-exam tests available?
If you are doing electrical work for your employer, they should provide you with a code book !

The CEPE mentioned here (from CSA) would be your best study tool.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
If you are doing electrical work for your employer, they should provide you with a code book !

The CEPE mentioned here (from CSA) would be your best study tool.
Thank you emtnut

Can I get some the info on:
1) Format of the Industrial as well as C&M exams
2) Sections or Topics the exam is based on
3) Best way to prepare for the exam
4) Any In-class or Online courses available that would help me for the exam?
Old 04-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Thank you emtnut

Can I get some the info on:
1) Format of the Industrial as well as C&M exams
2) Sections or Topics the exam is based on
3) Best way to prepare for the exam
4) Any In-class or Online courses available that would help me for the exam?
Hi,
I think nobody knows what you are going to have at the exam. I think the exam is base on the NOA. You can visit the Red Seal website to find the NOA for your trade. I'm preparing for the 442a, and the CEPE did not help that much for. The CEPE shows me how to navigate into the CEC.
iori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMAN View Post
I wrote my red seal exam in Ontario October 2018. I used the CEPE 2015 program. I used the app for about a month straight did the 100 question practice test twice a day until I was getting 90s every attempt. After doing so I had no trouble with the exam scoring a 86%. So yes I recommend studying with the CEPE 2015 program. If you put enough time into it you shouldn't have a problem the app is great for helping you to get to know the code book.Good luck!!!
Hello IBMAN

Did you sit for Industrial or Construction& Maintenance exam?

Thanks