Residential property turning into office - Signage question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eddy current

Old 02-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
NDC

Rewards Points: 2,186
Default Residential property turning into office - Signage question

I have a client converting a home into a massage clinic. They are having a 2'x8' illuminated sign installed on the wall of the house over their front entrance.
There is currently a wall mounted outdoor light on an switch that is going to be covered by the sign and I plan to reuse the outlet to power the sign.

I'm thinking of removing the switch which controls the light and wiring for constant power at the outlet box. Holesaw the back of the sign to gain access to the outlet box and installing an octagon extension. Extend this to a switch within the sign if a service switch doesn't already exist, and adding in a photocell.
Section 34 makes it pretty clear that i cant use the existing inside switch as a means of disconnect unless its lockable.
Does this sound like a good plan or should I just wire this up to a new home run circuit?
NDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,520

With led’s now in signs they draw very little power, dedicated is not needed like it used to be. I would check what else is on that old circuit first though, it very well could be almost maxed already.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,118

When we do signs we either have a maintenance switch inside the sign or use a time clock that is lockable inside the building. The timeclock is not a "disconnect" either but it seems to be generally what is there by the time we get there.

The maintenance switch is the most common in "box signs".

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 18

I haven't seen a time clock that's "lockable". You'll probably have to run a feed from the panel to a lockable disconnect. You could run a switch or timer off the lockable disconnect. I've worked in a few restaurants with signs as well.
sumofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumofit View Post
I haven't seen a time clock that's "lockable". You'll probably have to run a feed from the panel to a lockable disconnect. You could run a switch or timer off the lockable disconnect. I've worked in a few restaurants with signs as well.
? Iíve never seen one that isnít lockable.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 18

Sorry, I meant "I've never seen a time clock that is considered as a disconnect". My bad.
sumofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #7

The Disconnect required for signs does not have to be lockable. It only has to be lockable if it is out of sight like inside the building. (34-100)
Most often the breaker feeds a timeclock or photo cell, and then there is a simple, non lockable toggle switch located in the actual sign as the required disconnect.
Gnome likes this.