single conductor between panels - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By spinninwheels
  • 1 Post By eddy current
  • 1 Post By eddy current
  • 2 Post By 99cents
  • 1 Post By Navyguy

Old 10-01-2018, 10:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,095
Default single conductor between panels

I was reading another thread, which is now closed, and @99cents made a good point. I had a follow up question, but obviously can't, so hence this thread.

All this talk of portable generators, neutrals, bonds and such got me thinking...

If you're wiring a small gen panel, and you've nippled between that and the main. And you need to extend some ccts, to bring into gen panel. Skinning the sheathing on nmd and extending it to reach new breakers, is a violation - as you should be using single conductor?

Whether it's a chase or close nipple, it's still a raceway, no?
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinninwheels View Post
I was reading another thread, which is now closed, and @99cents made a good point. I had a follow up question, but obviously can't, so hence this thread.

All this talk of portable generators, neutrals, bonds and such got me thinking...

If you're wiring a small gen panel, and you've nippled between that and the main. And you need to extend some ccts, to bring into gen panel. Skinning the sheathing on nmd and extending it to reach new breakers, is a violation - as you should be using single conductor?

Whether it's a chase or close nipple, it's still a raceway, no?
Yes, still a raceway and technically a violation.

I’ve heard many guys argue that short sections of raceway are not considered a raceway but I have never seen a code that says that.

There is a code that exempts conduit fill rules for short, incomplete sections of raceway that are being used for mechanical protection. 12-910(2)
spinninwheels likes this.

Last edited by eddy current; 10-01-2018 at 11:26 PM.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,520

And your also breaking the most misunderstood code in the book, 12-3032(1), using a panel as a junction box for conductors feeding through to other apparatus.

(This is the code that many use for the “no joints allowed in a panel” argument)
spinninwheels likes this.

Last edited by eddy current; 10-01-2018 at 11:26 PM.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 12:15 AM   #4
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,459

I know a guy who knows a guy who stripped out some BX today and stuffed it down a pipe. It may or may not have been about twenty feet. What a hack.
electricguy and spinninwheels like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,095

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
And your also breaking the most misunderstood code in the book, 12-3032(1), using a panel as a junction box for conductors feeding through to other apparatus.

(This is the code that many use for the “no joints allowed in a panel” argument)
Good point.

Couldn't see the forest for the trees on that one.

Last edited by spinninwheels; 10-02-2018 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added more
spinninwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:24 AM   #6
Petulant Amateur

I have never been called for using these.
Attached Thumbnails
single conductor between panels-screenshot_20181001-222201_samsung-internet.jpg  

Old 10-02-2018, 12:27 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,797

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
I know a guy who knows a guy who stripped out some BX today and stuffed it down a pipe. It may or may not have been about twenty feet. What a hack.
Agree...sounds like a plumber i.e., “Canadian Electrician”

(…lectricien Canadien)

Last edited by cuba_pete; 10-02-2018 at 12:31 AM.
cuba_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:27 AM   #8
Petulant Amateur

In the thread that was closed, the guy used #3 NMD between the meter and the panel. That's not bending a rule, it's breaking it.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,840

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
I have never been called for using these.
I use them fairly regularly and just did on Friday. Job got inspected and passed no problem. Mine were not 20', but are usually stubs from the drop ceiling. My last one was only a couple of feet, but regardless the same situation.

I have also done the same thing using an Octo box or 4 11/16 box, never been called on that either. Maybe it is like the flush / surface plates; some things are less important then others.

Cheers
John
99cents likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote