Split bolts to extend ground - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree29Likes

Old 10-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
NDC

Rewards Points: 2,340
Default Split bolts to extend ground

Is it correct that a split bolt can be used to extend a ground now and we no longer require compression type fittings?
HackWork and RRF like this.
NDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDC View Post
Is it correct that a split bolt can be used to extend a ground now and we no longer require compression type fittings?
Correct.
HackWork, Navyguy, NDC and 1 others like this.
NDC (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,679

I wish the NEC would follow suit.

The irreversible splice thing for GEC's is sooooooo stupid. If you make a splice in the GEC in a place where no one will ever see it or have access to it, it's needs to be irreversible. But that same GEC connects to an exposed ground clamp with a screw lug. And the conductor itself can be cut with a pair of homeowner pliers.
Roger123, MikeFL and Easy like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,647

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I wish the NEC would follow suit.

The irreversible splice thing for GEC's is sooooooo stupid. If you make a splice in the GEC in a place where no one will ever see it or have access to it, it's needs to be irreversible. But that same GEC connects to an exposed ground clamp with a screw lug. And the conductor itself can be cut with a pair of homeowner pliers.

Sounds to me like a complete proposal you have there. Complaint and substantiation. Send it in.............
Roger123 likes this.
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Sounds to me like a complete proposal you have there. Complaint and substantiation. Send it in.............
With an envelope full of cash...
tmessner, telsa, RRF and 2 others like this.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 88

Interesting.. I have a high press so I'm covered but is that a provincial change or is it Canada wide in the CEC?
FishinElectrcian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinElectrcian View Post
Interesting.. I have a high press so I'm covered but is that a provincial change or is it Canada wide in the CEC?
Canada wide.

The old code [10-806(1)] that stated "without splice except if you use a compression tool etc, etc" is gone.
The new code just says it must be electrically continuous (10-116)
Navyguy, RRF and FishinElectrcian like this.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #8
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Canada wide.

The old code [10-806(1)] that stated "without splice except if you use a compression tool etc, etc" is gone.

The new code just says it must be electrically continuous (10-116)
Except in BC the 2018 doesn't come into effect until January 1, 2020.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
FishinElectrcian likes this.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #9
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post
Except in BC the 2018 doesn't come into effect until January 1, 2020.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
K, so it’s Canada wide code, not including BC and Quebec.
glen1971 and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,626

Quote:
K, so it’s Canada wide code, not including BC and Quebec.
not allowed here in MB

Both Hydro and City of Winnipeg

Rule 10-116 (1)and(6) 21 Subrules (1) and (5) of Rule 10-116 (Installation of grounding conductors) are replaced with the following:

(1) The grounding conductor for a system shall be without joint or splice throughout its length, except in the case of busbars, thermit-welded joints, compression connectors applied with a compression tool compatible with the particular connector
Old 10-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 4,934

For me a #6 split bolt is more expensive then a #6 butt crimp, so I will stick with the crimp... Plus for what ever reason I just think it is better connection, but I don't have any proof of that.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #12
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcord View Post
not allowed here in MB

Both Hydro and City of Winnipeg

Rule 10-116 (1)and(6) 21 Subrules (1) and (5) of Rule 10-116 (Installation of grounding conductors) are replaced with the following:

(1) The grounding conductor for a system shall be without joint or splice throughout its length, except in the case of busbars, thermit-welded joints, compression connectors applied with a compression tool compatible with the particular connector
That is surprising. The grounding conductor has been reduced in size over the past few code cycles and new grounding rules for transformers have been brought in like allowing the primary bond to be used as the ground for the secondary. 10-212(2). Did they remove that code too?

One of the reasons they removed the compression tool requirement is for installations that have a ground bar. Technically that old code, that has been kept in the MB code, would not allow you to connect the grounding wire from a transformer to a ground bar unless you use a thermit weld or a compression tool which is not possible.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #13

That might come under the "too old to change and it's better the old way" category. I use #6 ground cautiously, if I'm doing a meter/breaker or the ground is right outside the panel I stick with #2 or 3 bare just for mechanical resistance to weed eaters and homeowners.
RRF likes this.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #14
Yeah Toast!!

Rewards Points: 1,354

Quote:
That might come under the "too old to change and it's better the old way" category. I use #6 ground cautiously, if I'm doing a meter/breaker or the ground is right outside the panel I stick with #2 or 3 bare just for mechanical resistance to weed eaters and homeowners.
#6, 1/2" PVC, heat gun for offset and I'm done.
Roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
Yes it is hard to convince the older guys to not run large oversized grounds as that was how they were taught. We used to have a table for ground sizes in the old books. Imagine trying to convince them they can now use the primary bond to a 75kVA transformer as ground for the secondary!

As for a #6 from a meter base, I always and would still run it in a 1/2” PVC for mechanical protection. Much cheaper than running an oversized wire.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #16
RRF

Rewards Points: 96

I think there is a rule stating that #6 and smaller have to have mechanical protection.
RRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:35 AM   #17

I don't know if it is much cheaper especially on a pole ground.. It's only 3 or 4 meters of wire, probably $12 more, with the time and labour savings I think it's cheaper to use #3. I do both kinda depends what I got for ground wire plus if there's an upgrade later I'm not digging
Old 10-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #18
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
I don't know if it is much cheaper especially on a pole ground.. It's only 3 or 4 meters of wire, probably $12 more, with the time and labour savings I think it's cheaper to use #3. I do both kinda depends what I got for ground wire plus if there's an upgrade later I'm not digging
What do you mean by not digging if there is an upgrade? #6 is good for the grounding conductor on all sizes of services.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #19

Quote:
What do you mean by not digging if there is an upgrade? #6 is good for the grounding conductor on all sizes of services.
Doesn't a 300A+ require the larger ground? I don't know too lazy to look this early.. It's also a good way to use up scraps.. Most of the time when I'm doing a pole there's no power around for a heat gun.. So I have to use my "flameless" torch.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #20
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
Doesn't a 300A+ require the larger ground? I don't know too lazy to look this early.. It's also a good way to use up scraps.. Most of the time when I'm doing a pole there's no power around for a heat gun.. So I have to use my "flameless" torch.
No, #6 is all that is required.

10-114

1) Except as permitted by Subrule 2), the grounding conductor shall be sized not smaller than
a) No. 6 AWG if of copper; or
b) No. 4 AWG if of aluminum.
2) The grounding conductor shall be permitted to be sized smaller than prescribed in Subrule 1),
provided that it is not smaller than the current-carrying conductor(s) of the system being grounded.
FishinElectrcian likes this.