Troubleshooting is the most fun! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #1

Default Troubleshooting is the most fun!

Got a call from a customer saying some equipment went down. I drove down. They have a little piece of equipment that was dead in the water.

New machine, barely used. I open it up, and there's a lot of fuses in there! So I go through them, find a blown one on the 120/240 side of a 347/600 small transformer.

Well, maybe not a LOT of fuses, but some.

Keep digging, and I found the culprit:

Nicked wire. When this scissor lift thing came down, it kept hitting the cabtire, and it wore through. Only after 1 day!!! And it's funny because they had the machine moved last week, and the millwright who hooked it all up (all the cabtire) bonded all the ground wires together, but didn't bond it to the metal box. I came along, said "hey, this system really isn't bonded" and did it on Friday.

Good thing it was only 120 because there's 347 here too.
kaboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboler View Post
Got a call from a customer saying some equipment went down. I drove down. They have a little piece of equipment that was dead in the water.

New machine, barely used. I open it up, and there's a lot of fuses in there! So I go through them, find a blown one on the 120/240 side of a 347/600 small transformer.

Well, maybe not a LOT of fuses, but some.

Nicked wire. When this scissor lift thing came down, it kept hitting the cabtire, and it wore through. Only after 1 day!!! And it's funny because they had the machine moved last week, and the millwright who hooked it all up (all the cabtire) bonded all the ground wires together, but didn't bond it to the metal box. I came along, said "hey, this system really isn't bonded" and did it on Friday.

Good thing it was only 120 because there's 347 here too.
I'll bet it was..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,012
Default Now the bill....

They will and do cry... 'Thats it? how much? I could have fixed that!!'

But they never add.... ' IF I knew what to look for.'

I love trouble calls. easier when you have put it together.
Some folks have never started at the install phase. You must know how it gets put together to tear it apart. IMO.
leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Mad Skills

Rewards Points: 2,050

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboler View Post

So I go through them, find a blown one on the 120/240 side of a 347/600 small transformer.

I have a hard time believing someone fixed the problem by swapping out a fuse and not finding what caused that fuse to blow in the first place.
Kudos.

Good job.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

That's a relief. I thought he was back and I got chest pains.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big John For This Useful Post:
Celtic (01-27-2013), The_Modifier (01-27-2013), walkerj (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Mad Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
That's a relief. I thought he was back and I got chest pains.
Harry got me

LOL
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
Harry got me

LOL

He's long gone .

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Mad Skills

Well played Harry...well played