Underground service sizing questions. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By emtnut
  • 2 Post By HackWork

Old 07-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Underground service sizing questions.

Before I get in trouble for asking dumb questions, I am a Mechanical engineering in a small M/E office but I spent my summers while in school working as an electricians apprentice/laborer, so no I did not go to school for this stuff.

On a recent project the office EE asked how I would interpret the code conductor sizing for an underground service.

The service consists of a weather head on the pole with teck 90 in PVC down to the meter base mounted on a 6x6 post near the pole. From the meter base the teck 90 is run 100' as direct burial to the house where it enters just above the concrete foundation and down into the top of the panel.

For the pole to the meter base I am assuming the use of table 4 for the allowable amperage.

I am trying to determine when I can and cant use table d 10b for the underground portion of the service. is there a specific length the cable can be run above ground and still use d 10b before I need to use table 4 for the amperage .
TMacNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,664

I would tell the office EE not to worry, the electrician that installs it will know exactly what to do
CTshockhazard and HackWork like this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:29 AM   #3
Sentimental Mental

Rewards Points: 1,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
I would tell the office EE not to worry, the electrician that installs it will know exactly what to do
Even when the EE's drawings are wrong.

Just to be absolutely clear...
I didn't say anything about nothing to nobody.
CTshockhazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,810

The EE will not know what the utility will require. Have the LEC determine what is required based on the utility's requirements; this has nothing to do with the code book.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 511

This is why there are always problems. The electrical engineer doesn't know his own job, so he went to the mechanical engineer who in turn asks an internet forum that spends most of it's time talking about Home Depot.
Navyguy and glen1971 like this.

splatz - $3
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacNeil View Post
Before I get in trouble for asking dumb questions, I am a Mechanical engineering in a small M/E office but I spent my summers while in school working as an electricians apprentice/laborer, so no I did not go to school for this stuff.

On a recent project the office EE asked how I would interpret the code conductor sizing for an underground service.

The service consists of a weather head on the pole with teck 90 in PVC down to the meter base mounted on a 6x6 post near the pole. From the meter base the teck 90 is run 100' as direct burial to the house where it enters just above the concrete foundation and down into the top of the panel.

For the pole to the meter base I am assuming the use of table 4 for the allowable amperage.

I am trying to determine when I can and cant use table d 10b for the underground portion of the service. is there a specific length the cable can be run above ground and still use d 10b before I need to use table 4 for the amperage .
In general you need to use the LESSER of table 4 OR table D10/D11. On an underground service, there is always a short section where it is not underground. Don't forget to apply the 75deg derating (0.886) to the D10/D11 table values.