Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Union worker first long layoff need advice!

CEC 
1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Speedy Petey 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm brand new to the forum! My names Brandon I'm a new journeymen. (about 6 months now) I'm a member IBEW local 120 London, Ontario, Canada. Throughout my apprenticeship I was very steady with little to no time off now as a journeymen I'm on the big list laid off about 3 months with still around 2000 hours worked and about 90-100 guys out of work. So looks like I won't be going out anytime soon. So i'm wondering what guys do with all the time off EI (employment insurance) gets me by for now but it won't last forever. So what do you guys do or recommend doing. Should I volunteer to go saluting(I know it's greasy to do but at least you work) should I ask the hall to work non-union if my EI is coming close to running out? Or do you guys go find other jobs if so what kinds of things can I get into that pays decent. All my education and work experience is in electrical so I don't know where to start I'm thinking of applying to industrial maintenance jobs but I'm a 309A and mostly worked in commercial and institutional and some industrial now and then so I'm scared I'd go to one of these jobs and be totally lost I also have very little PLC experience. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks guys and have a great christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.