water pipe passing through a electrical room - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree9Likes

Old 06-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28
Default water pipe passing through a electrical room

Hi All,

I have a situation in which we are constructing a wall to divide an existing room to create an electrical room. There is an existing water pipe with water meter and a hose bib running through the space that will become the electrical room. The pipe is approximately 1.5 feet above the floor. My question is does OESC (Ontario Electrical Code) allows a water pipe running through the room. yes or No? which section of OESC deals with the above scenario.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Syed
haiderster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,080

I don't have the answer but a question may come up as to whether the pipe is near the panel- It may help to explain that further
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiderster View Post
Hi All,

I have a situation in which we are constructing a wall to divide an existing room to create an electrical room. There is an existing water pipe with water meter and a hose bib running through the space that will become the electrical room. The pipe is approximately 1.5 feet above the floor. My question is does OESC (Ontario Electrical Code) allows a water pipe running through the room. yes or No? which section of OESC deals with the above scenario.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Syed
Nothing in the electrical code, but possibly in the building code
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,368

What's an electric room? If my MDP is in my living room, does that make my living room "the electric room"? It's a question which has been around forever. When you have equipment over certain thresholds you have special requirements for the area in which the equipment is located, egress requirements, etc., but what kind of equipment do you have that you're concerned about?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,444

I have an electrical room where a tray was put under the water pipes in case of a leak but generally the plumbers just go ahead and don't really give a sh!t. I get pissed off but nothing ever changes.

Tim.
stiffneck likes this.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,708

No Issues. It is in just about every installation, some even have sprinkler heads.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
No Issues. It is in just about every installation, some even have sprinkler heads.

Cheers
John
It took 10 years begging to finally get the sprinklers removed from a industrial MCC. The insurance company finally agreed as long as we installed smoke detectors.

My fear was hitting one of the flowers with a stick of conduit and causing a million dollar mistake.
Navyguy, glen1971 and Funksparky like this.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 28

The electrical room has main service terminating into a main breaker, 30KVA transformer and a lighting panel, two 40HP VFDs and 2 few instrumentation panels.

My only concern is what if there is a leak inside the room. Is that case covered somewhere in the code. Does the code allows running plumbing pipes through an electrical room? what if we provide some kind of cover across them?

Thanks

Syed
haiderster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,228

This is all existing & you're just putting up a wall. Will it be inspected? Will the space be ventilated to keep humidity down? If the water pipe leaks, where will the water go? Does the floor drain actually work?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiderster View Post
what if we provide some kind of cover across them?
That may cause a bigger problem if they leak because you can't easily tell if they're leaking.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post

Cheers
John
In my experience, most have sprinkler heads.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Navyguy likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25,416

The OP is not describing a fire sprinkler system.

For the effort involved, I suggest that the pipe is re-plumbed out of your hair.

It's going to stay in everyone's way forever, otherwise.
Bird dog likes this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #13

I can’t speak to Ontario specifically but we just finished a electrical room in B.C. with an engineered water main running right over a 400A 600V MDP, meters, splitters and a 112 kva transformer.

It’s not a situation I prefer but o was stuck with it and Our inspector did not question it.
mvigneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:59 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 26

Its my understanding that your system is designed for normal conditions. A leak is not a normal condition. Id be concerned about the hose bib though.

That being said, in practical terms you are right. I would tell the customer the situation. If they want to save some money and ignore it then its no longer your concern.

Some things you can do include gfi protecting the panel if possible, make sure everything has drip hoods and use wet location fittings on the top of the panel.

Last edited by gamer; 06-13-2019 at 07:17 AM.
gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 3,708

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
The OP is not describing a fire sprinkler system.

For the effort involved, I suggest that the pipe is re-plumbed out of your hair.

It's going to stay in everyone's way forever, otherwise.
Agreed. But I have seen more sprinkler heads leak then I have ever seen a straight piece of copper pipe leak. Especially when you are talking close tot he floor... this is a non-issue.

Cheers
John

Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,080

If the water line is not directly over a panel I would not worry about it, but again I don't know CEC or your area codes. I would assume if the plans are drawn that way then someone in planning looked at it and was okay with it.

Contact the inspection dept to be certain
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #17
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,337

This reminds me of the time a local inspector tried to make me move a panel just because it was two feet away from a laundry tray. He came up with this one:
"You can't locate a panel within 10 feet of a water source" When I told him that was malarky and to quote me a source for that claim he dug in his heels and replied " I don't remember where I read it but someplace or another in the code book".

GC moved the laundry tray........... For a while.........................
MikeFL likes this.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #18

We are all talking about overhead water and I remember a case where the drain in a main electrical room backed up and I walked into 4 inches of water surrounding my 13.8KV distribution.

Tim.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #19
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,337

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbug View Post
We are all talking about overhead water and I remember a case where the drain in a main electrical room backed up and I walked into 4 inches of water surrounding my 13.8KV distribution.

Tim.
That scenario can happen anytime there is a river within a mile or so of the building, after the snow up in Canada melts ...... I watch the news and its always someplace under ten feet of water in some state or another each spring.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #20

This was construction related. We put in a new fancy looking waterfall and a pond at the other end of a waiting area. The plumbers tied into an old 4 inch drain and when they emptied the pond or waterfall area, it backed up into our electrical room. A quick Roto Rooter fixed that up in a hurry.

Tim.
Bird dog likes this.