What do I need to work on site? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By McSwix
  • 1 Post By telsa

Old 01-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default What do I need to work on site?

Hi there,

I currently live in the UK and am an Electrical Improver. I want to move to Canada to start fresh, I just have a couple of questions about how to be an electrician or an assistant.

If I come to Canada, how would I go about getting a job onsite, do I need to pass a certain health and safety test or have a certain card?

When I’ve looked online at jobs, they are all either Apprentices or Electricians, how would I work onsite as an electrician/ assistant? Do I need to go into education to get qualifications or do you employ people who have no qualifications but would be willing to go into education?

Any more advice anyone could offer me would be excellent.

Thank you,

Matthew
McSwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

That's what an apprenticeship is, going to school while learning the trade. They are not easy to get in the states, I don't know about Canada someone will chime in on that.

Good luck
Cowboy
Old 01-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,520

You can apply to challenge our red seal licence. There are other threads here with other members going through it right now.

As for getting an apprenticeship, you need a contractor to sponsor you and sign you up. There is a sticky thread about becoming an apprentice in Canada with lots of good info.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 120

Evening,

From what I can tell with the process an electrical improver would possible struggle to get the experience needed to challenge the exam, but I could be wrong.

I am challenging the exam in march and I have to say if you don't use the regs book in the UK it may be tough.

Have a look at the sticky thread and see if it gives information that you can use!

Good luck and stick with it whilst you are still able!
cprfenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #5
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSwix View Post
Hi there,

I want to move to Canada
Matthew

Big place. Where do you plan on moving to?

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,186

Quote:
I currently live in the UK and am an Electrical Improver
Interesting. Is that a type of electrician, or level of training over in the UK?
Never heard that title before. Just curious.

Anyways best wishes on your endeavor.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #7

Thanks for al the help so far,

I will have to have a look at maybe getting sponsored, but moving over, would an apprentice wage be enough to live off? As I would be coming over solo, with only a couple of thousand as emergency funds.

I’m looking to move to Toronto.

And there’s 4 stages of electrician in the UK:

Electricians Mate, someone who doesn’t have any qualifications in the trade but works alongside a qualified electrician,

Electrical apprentice, someone who is in college leading to be an electrician:

Electrical Improver, someone who has been to college be and got qualifications but isn’t doing an apprenticeship.

Electrician, a fully qualified electrician.

Thanks,

Matt
MechanicalDVR and Signal1 like this.
McSwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 26,208

Anyone from outside USA and Canada will find our electrical systems 'odd.'

Quite simply, other than the basics of electricity and physics, not much is the same.

This is deliberate -- and was initiated by European powers more than a century ago.

They, the differing schemes and standards, were set up from the get-go to stop American inventions from penetrating European markets.

Electricity -- as a viable power source for humanity -- was an American invention:

Edison (Invented the Industrial Research Laboratory -- also held a patent on intellectual property theft. He screwed over Tesla and a dozen other geniuses. )
Tesla (Edison's understudy... blew past his master to create the synchronous world of AC.)
Westinghouse ( He financed Tesla, industrialized his genius. )
J.P. Morgan ( He financed our industry straight out of the cradle. He forced Westinghouse to cross-license Tesla's patents.)

Europe took one look at these players and said: not in my sand box!

Hence 50 Hertz versus 60 Hertz... the wire color wars... voltage wars... ring (aka loop, double fed) circuits versus radial. (single fed)

It's also why France uses insane numbers of fuses -- as she has (essentially) outlawed circuit breakers. (Just not good enough for Paris.)

So...

Be ready for a SHOCK. As a tradesman, you'll find that practically NONE of your knowledge or experience will count for anything. ( digging ditches, excepted )

All of the above was brought to extreme relief in Iraq. You had Americans dealing with a European schemed grid. Lovely!
splatz likes this.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #9

Welcome to Electrician Talk McSwix.
Thanks for taking the time to fill out your profile.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 120

Sadly Tesla isn't joking. I am looking to sit the exam in March and nothing outside ohms law is the same.

Even volt drop calculations are totally different!
cprfenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:42 AM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,588

Welcome aboard @McSwix!

Best of luck in your quest Matt!

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 18

Depends on where you live in Canada in regards to registration. But if an employer hires you, you'll have to complete online training courses and a full day of safety at heights training (in class).
sumofit is offline   Reply With Quote