2009 Canada Electrical Code - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Alternative Energy Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin_Essiambre
  • 2 Post By Navyguy
Unread 10-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Default 2009 Canada Electrical Code

Can anyone confirm that this regulation for Solar PV - Overcurrent Protection is in the 2009 Canadian Electrical Code book:

"Where overcurrent protection is required by Subrule (1) for a photovoltaic source circuit, each photovoltaic source circuit shall be protected by an individual overcurrent device rated or set at not more than the allowable ampacity of the conductors of the photovoltaic source circuit or the maximum overcurrent protection indicated on the panel nameplates, whichever is less."

Thanks for your input.
CBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 162

Why 2009 CEC?

Welcome to the forum.

Please fill out your profile.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
Bird dog likes this.
Unread 10-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm concerned with 2009 because the array in question was installed in 2010 so this would be the applicable code at time of construction.

The specific issue I'm having is that the way the system is set up has 3 panels strung together with 4 strings coming together in a combiner box with a breaker for each combiner. The Electrician I'm working with is saying that each string needs a separate breaker which would a pretty costly change.

I'm just looking for confirmation on what the standard was when it was built to see if there's an opportunity to have the current design grandfathered in.

Appreciate any input you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 864

I don’t know anything about the CEC, so don’t be mad at me for replying. The way I remember ours is that two strings combined don’t need separate fuses. It has to do with a short and the stings being able to handle the total current. Once you add the third string, you need to add protection for the separate strings because they can’t handle the back feed? Something with one string shorted, it only sees the current of a single string? Series/parallel kinda stuff.

That was always the case for the NEC. Whether they now require protection for two strings IDK. But your set up always had four strings tied together. In your set up, to me, it always required protection for each string.
Unread 10-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 162

I don't have a 2009 CEC so I cannot help with this.

But, if it passed inspection, why bother?

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
Unread 10-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply Hertz, I got similar feedback from another Electrician that I used to work for.
Unread 10-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBerry View Post
Can anyone confirm that this regulation for Solar PV - Overcurrent Protection is in the 2009 Canadian Electrical Code book:

"Where overcurrent protection is required by Subrule (1) for a photovoltaic source circuit, each photovoltaic source circuit shall be protected by an individual overcurrent device rated or set at not more than the allowable ampacity of the conductors of the photovoltaic source circuit or the maximum overcurrent protection indicated on the panel nameplates, whichever is less."

Thanks for your input.
Depending on which province your in, new code doesn’️t usually get adopted until at least a year after it comes out, sometimes longer.

Also, 2009 CEC does not have a section 64 for renewable energy systems, there was only a small section on solar photovoltaic systems, section 50. This is the only code on overcurrent in it.
Attached Thumbnails
2009 Canada Electrical Code-a3021711-b768-4fbb-bc7b-123a712dca31_1570305626027.jpg  

Last edited by Incognito; 10-05-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #8

Thank you so much for the support!
Unread 10-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #9

Sorry, just a bit of confusion. Is the image you posted from the 2009 or 2018 Ontario Code?
Unread 10-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #10
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by cberry View Post
sorry, just a bit of confusion. Is the image you posted from the 2009 or 2018 ontario code?
2009 CEC section 50
Unread Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #11

Hi Incogito,

Is there any chance you could send another photo of that page from CEC section 50? A full page version perhaps it shows the year on the top of the page?
Unread Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 864

To me 50-010 (1) says you need overcurrent protection after two strings. That’s what I get when I read between the lines anyway.
Unread Today, 12:18 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 4,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBerry View Post
Hi Incogito,

Is there any chance you could send another photo of that page from CEC section 50? A full page version perhaps it shows the year on the top of the page?
There is no date on the page... at least on the Ontario code that I have.

Cheers
John
bob_says_hello and Incognito like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 10:45 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 138

Can confirm Navyguy, but here's the full page regardless.

Last edited by bob_says_hello; Today at 10:48 AM.
bob_says_hello is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, code, safety, solar