I think itís time to put solar on my house, I know nothing! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Alternative Energy Forum

Like Tree4Likes

Old 04-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8,420
Default I think itís time to put solar on my house, I know nothing!

Not exactly true, I know a few things about solar ... just enough to know that I donít know enough.

My fish tank is gobbleing up the KWH, 3X250w metal halides HQI running at about 300 watts each for 4 hrs a day, Iíd like to run them 6 hrs.

The regulatory stuff is one thing, what is the prosess for getting POCO approval and CA rebates?

Hardware is a whole other subject, obviously I want to buy quality but not overpay

Lastly, my roof is high, tile, and steep, the three things I hate in a roof Iím working on. Iím sure Iíll break a few tiles.

My wife has gotten a few quotes.... I keep telling her that Iím an EC but the adds say that itís practically FREEEEEEEE!!!!!

Of course, when you do the math, turns out to over $25k and the DIY 6KWH kits run about $6k..

Please point me in the right direction.
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,872

I'm looking at doing this myself. I have a ton of shade here. I bought a used Solar Pathfinder which my wife mostly uses for her gardening business. From what I've seen a central inverter with power optimizers or micro inverters would be best for my house. With microinverters I have more flexibility to add onto down the line but they are more expensive. Both types are good of you have partial shade or less than ideal places to put them.

The regulations for permitting in my town are terrible though and I would never pay somebody to install it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
TGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:09 PM   #3

From what I understand, the POCO won’t approve more KWH than you are currently using.... but once I go solar, I want to change my tanks lighting schedule from 3X 250W MH @ 4 hrs a day to 3X 400 watt halides for 6-7 hrs a day. Scalability would be nice
Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only authorities have guns. We have such a place. It's called prison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 02:50 AM   #4
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,543

For what it’s worth, five.five-six, the solar guys around here are complete idiots. You probably have more experienced guys down there but, if you hire it out, watch them like a hawk.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
For what itís worth, five.five-six, the solar guys around here are complete idiots. You probably have more experienced guys down there but, if you hire it out, watch them like a hawk.

Not going to do that.

Iím going to need a panel upgrade as well

Just donít have the space.

The mysterious part of PV around here is getting tax credits and rebates. It can be several thousand dollars. But I think the parts have to be american made.

Itís a lot more complicate than mounting a few PV panels, an inverter and landing a breaker.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:48 AM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Not going to do that.

The mysterious part of PV around here is getting tax credits and rebates. It can be several thousand dollars. But I think the parts have to be american made.

Itís a lot more complicate than mounting a few PV panels, an inverter and landing a breaker.
Gotcha.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Not going to do that.

I've been looking at Mission modules.

I try to buy American to a fault. Plus they're made here in Texas. Even if it takes longer to save up I'd rather build with more domestic parts. I helped with a residential solar install and was surprised with how simple it was.

We were installing them on houses and panels that had no business having them. I don't know what kind of scam that was.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #8

Odd, I thought there would be more guys on ET with PV experiance. Guess I’ll be the canary in this coal mine.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Odd, I thought there would be more guys on ET with PV experiance. Guess Iíll be the canary in this coal mine.
Backstay seemed the most knowledgeable on the subject but I haven't seen him on here in a long time.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:31 AM   #10
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,043

I did my own house, but that certainly don't make me an expert at anything. The rebate paperwork was outsourced...... That's the part that intimidated me from going into pv as a side business. That and seeing all the instant pv installing companies that were staffed with shoe salesmen and landscapers who wanted to get em some of that cash that was raining down out of the sky.
five.five-six likes this.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:29 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 952

Quote:
Odd, I thought there would be more guys on ET with PV experiance. Guess I’ll be the canary in this coal mine.
I know a ton about PV and the mechanics. I know diddly about rebates.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
I know a ton about PV and the mechanics. I know diddly about rebates.

Looks liek the CA rebates are a thing of the past.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,038

Quote:
Looks liek the CA rebates are a thing of the past.
This may help...
https://www.google.com/search?client...ates+for+solar
Old 04-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 116

Quote:
Not exactly true, I know a few things about solar ... just enough to know that I donít know enough.

My fish tank is gobbleing up the KWH, 3X250w metal halides HQI running at about 300 watts each for 4 hrs a day, Iíd like to run them 6 hrs.

The regulatory stuff is one thing, what is the prosess for getting POCO approval and CA rebates?

Hardware is a whole other subject, obviously I want to buy quality but not overpay

Lastly, my roof is high, tile, and steep, the three things I hate in a roof Iím working on. Iím sure Iíll break a few tiles.

My wife has gotten a few quotes.... I keep telling her that Iím an EC but the adds say that itís practically FREEEEEEEE!!!!!

Of course, when you do the math, turns out to over $25k and the DIY 6KWH kits run about $6k..

Please point me in the right direction.
A little off topic; have you considered an LED upgrade for your fish tank?
joe-nwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
It did help and at the end of the rabbit hole, I found this:

Quote:
Do I qualify?

Rebates for PG&E customers have been exhausted and the program is closed.

Rebates for SDG&E customers have been exhausted and the program is closed.

Rebates for residential customers of SCE have been exhausted and the program is closed.

Customers of municipal utilities also qualify for incentives through their municipal service provider.

Click here to contact your IOU for information on their program.

If you don't know your utility company, you can find them via this searchable database.
The Following User Says Thank You to five.five-six For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 266

I put a 5,000 watt system on my house. At the time I got the federal 30% tax credit and a state rebate. Sharp Panels and Sunnyboy inverter. Cost was 11,300 before the rebates. The state still has the SREC credits. They have been trading around $200 a credit. I get six credits a year. Mine was paid for in about three years. I think this will be my tenth year. The SREC credits go away after ten years.

The Sharp panels are made in America. All my paperwork and shade analysis was done by a non-profit company that also sold the panels and inverter. I had to handle the local permit.

My system only does a little over half of my electric needs. I wouldnít worry about having to big a system. Probably isnít going to happen with your electric needs. Spring and fall I run a surplus. Summer and winter I work it off and then some. It would be different if I had a ranch with the same square footage house. Then I would have been able to do maybe a 7,000W system.

Install was pretty easy on a 8 on 12 asphalt roof. Sharp had a video to watch on the rack system. I liked the rack system. Seemed better than the studs you screw down to the roof. I think they changed their rack system though.

Myself and a couple coworkers did it at the same time. So we helped each other. The company running the program was a partnership between NECA the IBEW and Sharp. It was a way to get everyone educated on it and possibly get contractors interested in it. I thought they had an office on each coast?

https://americansolarpartners.com/
five.five-six and Funksparky like this.
five.five-six (04-02-2019), Southeast Power (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 266

This site says they found 185 incentive programs for your state. I donít know if any apply to you.

I guess the federal government is still doing the 30% tax credit?

http://programs.dsireusa.org/system/...992.1554246246
Old 05-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #18

I have been neglecting this thread but I have been actively pursuing PV all along.

I have taken some NABCEP accreditation classes, found an engineering outfit that specializes in PV submittal and have received a complete drawings from them.

I have opened an account with green tech, a CED subsidiary and major west coast PV wholesaler.

I will be submitting my permits and NEM application this weekend.

The funny thing is that initially, I was worried about the instillation on my tile roof but as it turns out the installation is the easy part, it’s all the planning and design considerations. Oh, and the money. I figure my 8.5 KVA system is going to cost me $13.5k with materials, new service and labor.
MikeFL likes this.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,035

Quote:
My fish tank is gobbleing up the KWH, 3X250w metal halides

Fish tank, huh?
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #20

Yes, fishtank. That dirty weed grows under HPS lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
Fish tank, huh?