Inverter stacking - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Alternative Energy Forum

Old 04-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Inverter stacking

How do I wire one 4kw and one 5kw solar inverters togeather? This is a existing 4.9kw ground mount grid tie system with a Solectria inverter that is connected to a disconnect at the meter I want to add another 20 panels and a 5kw SMA sunny boy inverter, any suggestions on the best way to do this would be appreciated thanks Dan
Dan anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 141

I see that you have years of experience and don't mean to be insulting but since your asking I have to ask some possibly very basic questions...

Is your PV system connected to the line side or the load side of the existing service and do you know the difference, especially when it comes to the NEC?

A PV system is a power generating source which is being added to the existing service through synchronization . In you case it is 70 amps at 240 volts which is determined by the 30 and 40 amp breakers you will be using on each PV circuit that you will be installing not the wattage of the inverters or panels.

If the service is 100 amps you could expose existing sub panes to 170 amps of current if not tapping the PV on to the line side of the service upstream of the main service over current protection.

To add PV after the main service over current protection or line side could require additional protection to be added or existing panels and wire to be up sized.
Rap2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 141

Sorry I meant to say load side in the last sentence....
Rap2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 01:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6
Default Dan Anderson

You are correct I do have years of electrical experience but very little on PV systems that's why I'm asking stupid questions. This PV system is connected on the load side of the meter before the first disconnecting means.
Dan anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar inverter stacking