210.12(A), (B) Difference. NM Cable - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joe-nwt

Old 09-14-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
Swimmer

Rewards Points: 676
Default 210.12(A), (B) Difference. NM Cable

I am confused about the "RMC, IMC, EMT, MC, AC" statement in 210.12(A) of the 2014 NEC.

This website makes is very simple to understand:
https://www.afcisafetyreceptacles.org/

It says that according to 210.12(A) you can AFCI protect a NEW branch by using one of the above metal conduits or cables for the home run and then installing an AFCI receptacle in the first outlet on the branch.

It then says that according to 210.12(B) that you can AFCI protect an OLD branch by installing an AFCI receptacle at the first outlet on the branch regardless of the wiring method used for the home run.

I can't make this interpretation by reading the NEC but I'll assume it's true unless informed otherwise.

Question: What is purpose or reason of the metal raceway / armored cable language in 210.12(A)(5)? Why would a metallic home run be required for a new branch when existing NM can be used on an old branch?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #2
Swimmer

Default Eaton Brochure Explains 210.12(A)(5)

Page 5 of this Eaton Brochure (see attached) explains how to apply 210.12(A)(5). However, I'd still like to know why the use of metal conduit or armored cable negates the requirement for circuit breaker - receptacle matched pairs.

Practically, what I'm up against is that I'm modifying several branch circuits and I don't want to replace the service panel or install arc-fault breakers due to panel fill, shared neutrals, etc....

I'm looking at 2014 stuff, maybe the requirement has changed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 210.12A5.pdf (643.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 26

Rodent protection. Actually protection period. The thought is any metallic wiring method would mitigate an arc until the OCP trips.

If you are modifying existing, new code applies to the modification, not the existing.
kb1jb1 likes this.
swimmer (09-15-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,228

Check the wording. I believe you have to use a steel jacket AC or MC cable. Not the Aluminum jacket type.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1jb1 View Post
Check the wording. I believe you have to use a steel jacket AC or MC cable. Not the Aluminum jacket type.
Actually, the CEC says metal raceway, armoured cable or non-metallic tubing.

What does the NEC say?
Old 09-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-nwt View Post

What does the NEC say?
Here is the nec wording in the 2020 code

Quote:
210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
Arc-fault circuit-interrupter protection shall be provided as required in 210.12(A), (B), (C), and (D). The arc-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

(A) Dwelling Units.
All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by any of the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (6):
(1)
A listed combination-type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed to provide protection of the entire branch circuit

(2)
A listed branch/feeder-type AFCI installed at the origin of the branch-circuit in combination with a listed outlet branch-circuit-type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed at the first outlet box on the branch circuit. The first outlet box in the branch circuit shall be marked to indicate that it is the first outlet of the circuit.

(3)
A listed supplemental arc protection circuit breaker installed at the origin of the branch circuit in combination with a listed outlet branch-circuit-type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed at the first outlet box on the branch circuit where all of the following conditions are met:
a.
The branch-circuit wiring shall be continuous from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the outlet branch-circuit arc-fault circuit interrupter.

b.
The maximum length of the branch-circuit wiring from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the first outlet shall not exceed 15.2 m (50 ft) for a 14 AWG conductor or 21.3 m (70 ft) for a 12 AWG conductor.

c.
The first outlet box in the branch circuit shall be marked to indicate that it is the first outlet of the circuit.

(4)
A listed outlet branch-circuit-type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed at the first outlet on the branch circuit in combination with a listed branch-circuit overcurrent protective device where all of the following conditions are met:
a.
The branch-circuit wiring shall be continuous from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the outlet branch-circuit arc-fault circuit interrupter.

b.
The maximum length of the branch-circuit wiring from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the first outlet shall not exceed 15.2 m (50 ft) for a 14 AWG conductor or 21.3 m (70 ft) for a 12 AWG conductor.

c.
The first outlet box in the branch circuit shall be marked to indicate that it is the first outlet of the circuit.

d.
The combination of the branch-circuit overcurrent device and outlet branch-circuit AFCI shall be identified as meeting the requirements for a system combination-type AFCI and shall be listed as such.

(5)
If metal raceway, metal wireways, metal auxiliary gutters, or Type MC, or Type AC cable meeting the applicable requirements of 250.118, with metal boxes, metal conduit bodies, and metal enclosures are installed for the portion of the branch circuit between the branch-circuit overcurrent device and the first outlet, it shall be permitted to install a listed outlet branch-circuit-type AFCI at the first outlet to provide protection for the remaining portion of the branch circuit.

(6)
Where a listed metal or nonmetallic conduit or tubing or Type MC cable is encased in not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete for the portion of the branch circuit between the branch-circuit overcurrent device and the first outlet, it shall be permitted to install a listed outlet branch-circuit-type AFCI at the first outlet to provide protection for the remaining portion of the branch circuit.

Exception: AFCI protection shall not be required for an individual branch circuit supplying a fire alarm system installed in accordance with 760.41(B) or 760.121(B). The branch circuit shall be installed in a metal raceway, metal auxiliary gutter, steel-armored cable, Type MC or Type AC, meeting the applicable requirements of 250.118, with metal boxes, conduit bodies, and enclosures.

Informational Note No. 1: For information on combination-type and branch/feeder-type arc-fault circuit interrupters, see UL 1699-2011, Standard for Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters. For information on outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupters, see UL Subject 1699A, Outline of Investigation for Outlet Branch Circuit Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupters. For information on system combination AFCIs, see UL Subject 1699C, Outline of Investigation for System Combination Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters.

Informational Note No. 2: See 29.6.3(5) of NFPA 72-2013, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code, for information related to secondary power-supply requirements for smoke alarms installed in dwelling units.

Informational Note No. 3: See 760.41(B) and 760.121(B) for power-supply requirements for fire alarm systems.

(B) Dormitory Units.
All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets and devices installed in dormitory unit bedrooms, living rooms, hallways, closets, bathrooms, and similar rooms shall be protected by any of the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (6).

(C) Guest Rooms, Guest Suites, and Patient Sleeping Rooms in Nursing Homes and Limited-Care Facilities.
All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets and devices installed in guest rooms and guest suites of hotels and motels and patient sleeping rooms in nursing homes and limited-care facilities shall be protected by any of the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (6).

(D) Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications — Dwelling Units, Dormitory Units, and Guest Rooms and Guest Suites.

Where branch circuit wiring for any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), (B), or (C) is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:
(1)
By any of the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (A)(6)

(2)
A listed outlet branch-circuit-type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit

Exception: AFCI protection shall not be required where the extension of the existing branch circuit conductors is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) and does not include any additional outlets or devices, other than splicing devices. This measurement shall not include the conductors inside an enclosure, cabinet, or junction box.
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
swimmer (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 10:43 PM   #7
Swimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-nwt View Post

What does the NEC say?
2014 NEC 210.12(A)(6)

Where a listed metal or nonmetallic conduit or tubing
or Type MC cable is encased in not less than 50 mm
(2 in.) of concrete for the portion of the branch circuit
between the branch-circuit overcurrent device and the
first outlet, it shall be permitted to install a listed outlet
branch-circuit type AFCI at the first outlet to provide
protection for the remaining portion of the branch
circuit.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,228

I just got my 2020 code book. NY is still on the 2017 NEC. 2017 NEC 210.12 (5) says steel armored AC cable. The 2020 just says MC or AC cable with no reference to steel jacket.
So I learned something today.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210.12(a), 210.12(a)(5), 210.12(b)