Bonding the water heater - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Like Tree8Likes

Old 01-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,909
Default Bonding the water heater

In NJ it is well known that the "water heater has to be bonded", which is merely connecting the cold water supply pipe and hot water outlet pipe with a jumper and pair of pipe clamps.

I am wondering if this is required in your area and which code article requires it. Please paste the actual code article.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #2
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,856

Hackwork.,,

I am not sure if this older edition will suit ya here but let me paste the link.,,

http://lightning.org/wp-content/uplo...50_104_B_0.pdf

I hope that help ya with that.

Just be aware of 250.66 sizing that about it.

I am not sure how recent the codes did change due many location are going to with PEX piping system so it will be more critical on this.
splatz likes this.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 164

The only code requirement that I am aware of is that the water system, if metal pipe, shall be bonded to the electrical system and jumpered from one side of the water meter to the other. Why would you need to bond the supply side of the water heater ? Never heard of that before.
J F Go is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F Go View Post
The only code requirement that I am aware of is that the water system, if metal pipe, shall be bonded to the electrical system and jumpered from one side of the water meter to the other. Why would you need to bond the supply side of the water heater ? Never heard of that before.
Hint: The inside of the water heater might be plastic and not electrically continuous.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F Go View Post
Maybe because the water heater pipe connections are dielectric, so, they need to be bonded around.

Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu
Bird dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 90

Not required here.
Gas line Bonding was required until the local Gas Companies found it was causing problems with their DC voltage that they place on the underground metal piping. No Bonding of Gas lines here.
NoBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #7
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Hint: The inside of the water heater might be plastic and not electrically continuous.

But the water is.
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 984

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
But the water is.
Clean water is not the greatest conductor. Pure water is an insulator.
joe-nwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:52 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 734

Years back, in a code class, the instructor told us this story. A guy finished washing his car & to cool himself off put the water hose to his head. He was permanently blinded because at the same time the dishwasher heating element which was shorting turned on. His wife tried suing everybody, but, the house was wired "to code". I would do the bonding on my own house & maybe put the water heater on a GFI.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.

Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu

Last edited by Bird dog; 01-13-2020 at 08:56 PM.
Bird dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #10
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
Years back, in a code class, the instructor told us this story. A guy finished washing his car & to cool himself off put the water hose to his head. He was permanently blinded because at the same time the dishwasher heating element which was shorting turned on. His wife tried suing everybody, but, the house was wired "to code". I would do the bonding in my own house & maybe put the water heater on a GFI.
I am not too surprised if they find a way to GFCI the water heater IMO I think it kinda overdue due so many heating element failure when they burn thru and the theromsat only open one side of conductor so it kinda typically not know when the element ready to go out.

many new waterheaters do have plastic or fiberglass coating inside that why it can cause some issue with bonding.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 480

Hot and cold water are suppose to be bonded together but very few electricians or inspectors look at it. It does not have to be at the water heater but that is the easiest place to inspect it. I got picked up in NJ over 30 years ago for it. When I came back to NY, nobody knew about it.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:57 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,164

Maybe we just make the connection over the water heater so the inspector knows where to look for it? I guess it could be done anywhere. The hot and cold are considered different systems I suppose. Like mentioned, the connection between them through faucets and water heaters is not guaranteed, so they need to be bonded together, and accessible.

Quote:
250.104 Bonding of Piping Systems and Exposed Structural Metal.
(A)Metal Water Piping.
The metal water piping system shall be bonded as required in (A)(1), (A)(2), or (A)(3) of this section.
(1)General.
Metal water piping system(s) installed in or attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to any of the following:
(1)Service equipment enclosure
(2)Grounded conductor at the service
(3)Grounding electrode conductor if of sufficient size
(4)One or more grounding electrodes used, if the grounding electrode conductor or bonding jumper to the grounding electrode is of sufficient size
The bonding jumper(s) shall be installed in accordance with 250.64(A), 250.64(B), and 250.64(E). The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible. The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.102(C)(1) except as permitted in 250.104(A)(2) and
Old 01-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #13
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-nwt View Post
Clean water is not the greatest conductor. Pure water is an insulator.

Very little tap water is pure. Well water and even city water is full of minerals. I didn’t say it was a great conductor.
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:06 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,922

If the piping is metal, the hot and cold will be bonded together at the shower valve.
micromind likes this.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:10 PM   #15

I did a high end townhome complex once. The water services were plastic, and the service was technically outside at the meter stack. So in each 3,000 sq foot unit got a 150 amp sub panel in the basement. We just took a piece of #6 out of the panel and hit the hot and cold nearest the panel in the basement. Didn’t jump it out at the water heater. It’s probably the only time I didn’t jump it out at the water heater.

They changed inspectors during the two years I was there. The new inspector wanted us to run the wire from the water pipe all the way back to the meter stack. He was wrong, and we never did it. He was shown the exception in the code book for when the water service comes in as plastic in a multi family dwelling.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:16 PM   #16

From the Soars book.
Attached Thumbnails
Bonding the water heater-7f64ed6e-3bdd-4e50-98ff-af3b197b77b2.jpg  
Old 01-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 164

Well I learned something new today, so that's good.
J F Go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:57 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 306

Required in MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2020, 07:30 AM   #19

Ok, so if it is in the NEC, why isn't it required everyone that the house uses metallic pipes?
Old 01-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
Years back, in a code class, the instructor told us this story. A guy finished washing his car & to cool himself off put the water hose to his head. He was permanently blinded because at the same time the dishwasher heating element which was shorting turned on. His wife tried suing everybody, but, the house was wired "to code". I would do the bonding on my own house & maybe put the water heater on a GFI.

Metal plumbing pipe was bonded in the house? Electric heater had the additional ground via the power coming in? Something is lacking in that guys story or perhaps her story.
I can’t see that guy being the fault path through 50’ of potable water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VELOCI3 is online now   Reply With Quote