Code for dropping conduit from the ceiling in a factory? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By B-Nabs
  • 1 Post By JoeSparky
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By B-Nabs

Old 04-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Default Code for dropping conduit from the ceiling in a factory?

Hello all,

I am mounting an outlet box to a 42" tall 4x4 steel post thats anchored to the ground. I have to bring 3/4" EMT down to it from the ceiling, about 20ft total. There is nothing around to anchor the conduit to. Am I required to run a piece of unistrut up from the post and clamp the conduit to it? If so, how high do I have to run it?
benwinch07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 10:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25,234

The usual drill is to jump to 20' sticks of IMC, RMC. ( 20' stuff is special order but if you can wait for it to come in may be dreamy for you.)

I'd forget EMT in this situation. You're in a factory.

Usually you'll get a pass on conduit support IF you properly anchor it top-side and at the floor.

Many guys will anchor the run in RMC -- a short stub up -- set an FS box -- then take the rest of the run all the way up in IMC. The bottom RMC never gets any wire. It's strictly for support to some ideal height.

Other guys go with a cord drop, with strain relief and all the rest. That's a super popular option.

If necessary, toss in a foot-rig of strut.

3,000 miles away -- I really can't see your factory floor.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
The usual drill is to jump to 20' sticks of IMC, RMC. ( 20' stuff is special order but if you can wait for it to come in may be dreamy for you.)

I'd forget EMT in this situation. You're in a factory.

Usually you'll get a pass on conduit support IF you properly anchor it top-side and at the floor.

Many guys will anchor the run in RMC -- a short stub up -- set an FS box -- then take the rest of the run all the way up in IMC. The bottom RMC never gets any wire. It's strictly for support to some ideal height.

Other guys go with a cord drop, with strain relief and all the rest. That's a super popular option.

If necessary, toss in a foot-rig of strut.

3,000 miles away -- I really can't see your factory floor.
Unfortunately all they give us is EMT, and they wont special order anything for just a 2 gang outlet box.

I think a cord drop is out of the question, since there are pallets and product being moved around in the vicinity and they wouldnt want anything that can catch on a hanging cord.

As it is right now, Im being told attach a stick of unistrut to the post and clamp the EMT to that, then attach the box to the unistrut. I just wanted to be sure there isnt a glaring problem with this method.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #4
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwinch07 View Post
Hello all,

I am mounting an outlet box to a 42" tall 4x4 steel post thats anchored to the ground. I have to bring 3/4" EMT down to it from the ceiling, about 20ft total. There is nothing around to anchor the conduit to. Am I required to run a piece of unistrut up from the post and clamp the conduit to it? If so, how high do I have to run it?
Are you saying the ceiling is 20' high, or it's 20' of conduit from the box to the ceiling?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2019, 11:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post
Are you saying the ceiling is 20' high, or it's 20' of conduit from the box to the ceiling?

Just shy of 20' from the box to the ceiling
Old 04-12-2019, 11:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25,234

You don't do this very much, I can see.

Just because it's a cord drop does NOT mean that the box is free to swing in the breeze.

Take a gander at the back threads on this EXACT topic here at ET.

It's been brought up at LEAST a dozen times.

Beaten to death, it has been.
cwsims84 likes this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:56 PM   #7

I understand that a cord drop isn’t free swinging, but the plant engineer has specified no cord drops on this, but rather EMT. I’m mostly experienced with running EMT along existing structures that it can be anchored to. I’m just wondering if using the unistrut is approved in this free standing situation.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:26 AM   #8
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,506

Quote:
As it is right now, Im being told attach a stick of unistrut to the post and clamp the EMT to that, then attach the box to the unistrut. I just wanted to be sure there isnt a glaring problem with this method.
The glaring problem is you have to secure the EMT every 10' and you are going 20'. You can span 20' vertically between supports with RMC but not EMT.

If you are going to run EMT, you have to run some structure to that 10' point. You could run back to back strut from the floor to the trusess, that would be fine, 50' of strut, strut fittings, some nuts and bolts, some time with the wrenches and sockets and portaband and hammerdrill and a few anchors, and

they'll really wish they just bought you RMC.
telsa likes this.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:27 AM   #9
Watt Pusher

You can get 20' lengths of strut pretty readily, you could fasten that between the top of the post and the ceiling, and run your pipe on that.

MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:55 AM   #10

Thank you guys!! I appreciate all of the input!!
Old 04-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #11
Semper Fi

Rewards Points: 7,232

Quote:
Unfortunately all they give us is EMT, and they wont special order anything for just a 2 gang outlet box.

This is what you should do,:
Im being told attach a stick of unistrut to the post and clamp the EMT to that, then attach the box to the unistrut.

and find a way to do a nice job with it
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 763

20+ feet of unsupported emt? No thanks. Get 2 or 3 sticks of GRC, supported at least once above the outlet box and twice in the ceiling.
telsa likes this.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #13
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,438

7Meters up?

humm with EMT that is not the best choice at all unless you got 8 meter strut or 20 footer if you can get it. but for myself I would just run rigid conduit and be done with it. less thing can go wrong with it. especially with flying dolts like to hit the conducts.,,

But some factories I have see that arrangement from time to time as long it dont hit anything that set up is ok.

and oui the strut can be used for support for emt conduit but make sure you get it secured good.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #14
Semper Fi

Rewards Points: 7,232

The OP is battling management over materials and some supervision over methods.
I would put a 3/4" floor flange on the deck. Put a 3/4" tee, pipe up to the ceiling.
Use a 3 hole box and a close nipple out of the box. 6" nipples out of the top and bottom. Back to back mini straps between the nipples and the vertical 3/4
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #15
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,506

You can get 20' strut but it is a bit of a pain since it will take a couple days to come in and you'll have to have it delivered, and nobody is going to be thrilled to deliver your one 20' stick.

If you double up regular 10 strut back to back staggered - two 10' pieces on one side, 5' + 10' + 5' on the other side - one cut, eight nuts and bolts, and you're done - it's probably faster.

However I'd like to change this answer, you can buy 2x4's and spikes for much less and you'll be well under $100 of butchered wood.
B-Nabs likes this.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #16
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 2,778

Relocate the equipment to be served by the "outlet box" against a wall or a ceiling to floor pier.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #17
Watt Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
You can get 20' strut but it is a bit of a pain since it will take a couple days to come in and you'll have to have it delivered, and nobody is going to be thrilled to deliver your one 20' stick.

If you double up regular 10 strut back to back staggered - two 10' pieces on one side, 5' + 10' + 5' on the other side - one cut, eight nuts and bolts, and you're done - it's probably faster.

However I'd like to change this answer, you can buy 2x4's and spikes for much less and you'll be well under $100 of butchered wood.
My favourite fastener supply place has 20' strut in stock, and free next day delivery with no minimum order. I would still throw some other stuff on the order just because.

splatz likes this.