Distance Between Outlets on Different Phases - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Like Tree24Likes

Old 04-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22
Default Distance Between Outlets on Different Phases

Are there rules or guidelines on residential outlets (120V) for keeping a single phase in a room or keeping outlets that are on opposite phases at a distance where an average person couldn't be exposed to the 240v across both phases within their reaching distance?

I tried searching but I'm sure I'm not using the professional terminology for what I'm trying to ask.
geobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,179

240V is single phase. It is not plural.
John Valdes and cwsims84 like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Considering a normal duplex receptacle can be split with an air gap of about 1/8” between “phases”, I say you’re good to go with an 1/8” between outlets. Is that enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,781

Electrical engineer everyone. You saw it here...
Old 04-15-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
Band Member

Rewards Points: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Considering a normal duplex receptacle can be split with an air gap of about 1/8” between “phases”, I say you’re good to go with an 1/8” between outlets. Is that enough?
I hope you didn't measure that with a metal tape

When this thread gets closed, OP will be battin' a 1000
99cents likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #6
Band Member

Rewards Points: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
It's really what keeps bringing me back
HackWork and tjb like this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
Trained Monkey

Rewards Points: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobrick View Post
Are there rules or guidelines on residential outlets (120V) for keeping a single phase in a room or keeping outlets that are on opposite phases at a distance where an average person couldn't be exposed to the 240v across both phases within their reaching distance?

I tried searching but I'm sure I'm not using the professional terminology for what I'm trying to ask.

Wha da fuq? Article 210 of the NEC, go learn it, love it, live it. I understand you're an electrical engineer...so how do you call out the circuits for said room if you don't understand phasing and distance?

*Not trying to be an ass, seriously trying to help you out and inquiring.
99cents likes this.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #8

Quote:
240V is single phase. It is not plural.
I suppose the 240v is a single phase but when measured to the center tap of the transformer, aren't the two 120v 'halves' 180 deg out of phase?
Old 04-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobrick View Post
I suppose the 240v is a single phase but when measured to the center tap of the transformer, aren't the two 120v 'halves' 180 deg out of phase?
No, it’s an Edison 3 wire.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingBubba View Post
Wha da fuq? Article 210 of the NEC, go learn it, love it, live it. I understand you're an electrical engineer...so how do you call out the circuits for said room if you don't understand phasing and distance?

*Not trying to be an ass, seriously trying to help you out and inquiring.
Thanks. I'll take a look at the Article.
I know I'm posting to a professional's forum so the jabs are expected. As far as "Not trying to be an ass" goes, you have to be pretty good at something to do it without trying.
readydave8 likes this.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #11

Quote:
No, it’s an Edison 3 wire.
Got it. Thanks
Old 04-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 844

OP is possibly an engineer trainee in which case he needs to ask his boss or hire an electrician depending on the situation.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4,004

This is the same guy who groups homeruns (1,2,3) and (8,9,10...)
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
Trunkslammer EE
Old 04-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #15

Quote:
I get what your point is but my question isn't whether the 220/240 can be within same outlet or junction box. My question is more about; Lets say someone has a metal toaster oven and a metal hotplate that are plugged into separate outlets on separate circuits (each using a different hot side of the 3 wire Edison configuration).
Now say the unlikely situation occurs where both appliances fail where the hot line is shorted to its metal case. This would create a dangerous situation that could be prevented if there were some restriction on where you can put outlets that are on a different legs of the 3 wire feed. I'm not saying I want there to be a restriction or that it's even warranted in this case. I just wanted to know if there were any restriction. Seems the answer is no. I'll look at article 210 to see what it says on this subject.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Did my profile give it away or was it the words I used in my post? I'll either have to change my profile or hang out with more electricians.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
That one is over my head. My only reply is I wish I could group my homeruns but I've never hit one in my life (though I'm sure I've given up a few).
Old 04-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #18
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

Curious why you appear to see 240V as dangerous to touch but 120V as fine. Am I reading you correctly?
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Curious why you appear to see 240V as dangerous to touch but 120V as fine. Am I reading you correctly?
You are reading me correctly but in the scenario I posted earlier, there would be 0v between the cases of the toaster oven and hotplate if they were on the same circuit. But if they were plugged in to outlets on separate sides of the 3 wire feed, there would be 240v between the cases. So in this case I've comparing 0v to 240v.

While I'm sure either can kill, my understanding is that in an apples to apples situation, 240v would be able to support a higher current through the 'load' but I really haven't researched that. Based on your question I assume you're saying I shouldn't assume 240v is more dangerous?
Old 04-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 4,004

Which is precisely why, before fixing a snack, I suit up with the proper PPE. The risk of an arc blast in the modern kitchen is just too great to take shortcuts.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote