Lotus style lights are against code - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Like Tree11Likes

Old 01-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,333
Default Lotus style lights are against code

The Lotus style lights were brought into a contractor association meeting this week.

Three different local municipal inspectors all agreed that they are against code because the junction box needs to be mounted. They also didn't like the way the drywall would be damaged if you have to remove the light (something a few of you guys here have mentioned).

Discuss.

FWIW, I have often put floating junction boxes in the ceiling above high hats in malls and other commercial jobs and it was always allowed. Maybe against code but not enforced?
MechanicalDVR likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,127

It's something I have thought about, code compliance of an unsecured box, but inspectors here don't complain. Some of the knockoffs have mounting holes in the JB.

I wish they would make a high wattage driver so you could just run thermostat wire to the fixtures from a central location like we do with under cabinet lighting.

If you damage drywall removing the fixture you have worse manual dexterity than me and I'm pathetic. It sounds like you're dealing with old curmudgeons who are resistant to progress.
splatz likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Did your inspectors roll out their new online permitting system or are you still waiting in line for an hour? If they're analyzing Lotus Lights, I think they have their priorities screwed up.

Last edited by 99cents; 01-14-2017 at 09:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
RePhase277 (01-15-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #4
Mensa Player

The inspectors are members of the association. Inspectors don't make up NJ state law.

Back to the Lotus's, they sell low voltage extensions, I thought you could go up to 40' with them? That should be enough to mount the drivers in a central location.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
The inspectors are members of the association. Inspectors don't make up NJ state law.

Back to the Lotus's, they sell low voltage extensions, I thought you could go up to 40' with them? That should be enough to mount the drivers in a central location.
But I'm saying a high wattage driver that could do numerous fixtures.
splatz likes this.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
But I'm saying a high wattage driver that could do numerous fixtures.
Gotcha. I'm sure they could, but maybe they just don't see the need. Having the separate drivers is more flexible.

What benefit would a single driver give you other than a little less wiring?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:23 PM   #7
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Gotcha. I'm sure they could, but maybe they just don't see the need. Having the separate drivers is more flexible.

It would save time and the driver could be put in a more accessible place. I have put Lotus drivers in thermal insulation. They say it's okay but I don't like it. Also, in your case, the driver could be fastened down properly.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:34 AM   #8
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,853

Quote:
The Lotus style lights were brought into a contractor association meeting this week.

Three different local municipal inspectors all agreed that they are against code because the junction box needs to be mounted. They also didn't like the way the drywall would be damaged if you have to remove the light (something a few of you guys here have mentioned).

Discuss.

FWIW, I have often put floating junction boxes in the ceiling above high hats in malls and other commercial jobs and it was always allowed. Maybe against code but not enforced?

Here is my take. A halo remodel recess can has a bar connecting the j-box to the can and the side clips hold the whole thing in place in the drywall cut out, but noplace is there any ''mounting'' going on. Those cans are sold and installed by the millions.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macmikeman For This Useful Post:
telsa (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 02:50 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 26,352

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Here is my take. A halo remodel recess can has a bar connecting the j-box to the can and the side clips hold the whole thing in place in the drywall cut out, but noplace is there any ''mounting'' going on. Those cans are sold and installed by the millions.
Just so.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:59 AM   #10
Senile Member

Don't worry, all it will take is a few rounds of drinks and a hooker or two at the next East Coast Chapter International Association of Electrical Inspectors Convention Meeting to sway favor to Lotus Lights. Maybe a brown paper envelope or two as well. It's all in Lotus Lights Corporation's ball park now.................
MF Dagger likes this.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:04 AM   #11
Senile Member

Quote:

Discuss.

You New Jersey contractors should know by now you always should be flying in macmikeman to handle the amateur electrical inspectors in the state during such code meetings. (for a small reasonable fee of course)
Old 01-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 280

That junction box is part of a UL listed luminaire.

The instructions specifically say NOT to mount the box to anything.

Quote:
CERTIFICATION: cETLus. Conforms to UL STD. 1598. Certified to CSA STD. C22.2 NO. 250.0
Quote:
CONNECTING THE DRIVER:
Open the cover of the junction box. Push and remove one of the half-inch knockouts on the side plate. Install standard L16
cable connector. Use double connector for daisy chaining multiple drivers. Insert line voltage feed into the cable connector
and splice same colour wires using wire nuts. Close the cover. Connect the driver to the light fixture – the arrows on the
male and female parts of the connector between the driver and the fixture should match. Tighten the connector by hand.
Do not attach the junction box to anything so you can pull it through the ceiling opening in case you need to service the
driver in future.
Also,

Quote:
110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use
of Equipment.

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment
shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
included in the listing or labeling.
chicken steve and flyboy like this.
Barjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #13
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

A shame there was no 110.3B for this unsecured buried octagon that took us hours to find under a fan & ceiling medallion

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #14
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,712

Quote:

I agree, it's just inefficient putting a bunch of small power supplies in rather than one central power supply.

LED lighting manufacturers don't want it to be efficient, they would rather sell lots of small power supplies than one big one.

They also don't want to make the low voltage cable generic if possible, better to sell you a proprietary cable if they can.

With a centralized power supply you're ahead the day it's installed, but when you have to do maintenance and troubleshooting when the power supplies start to die in ten years, you're way - way ahead.

(I am betting that the bite in the ass with LED lighting is that although the lamps last forever, the power supplies don't. IME with DC power supplies, only the really good ones don't fade over years of use, I seriously doubt the ones used for LED drivers are really good ones.)
chicken steve likes this.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #15
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Are you talking about that pliable arm that detaches during installation?
Old 01-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #16
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barjack View Post
That junction box is part of a UL listed luminaire.

The instructions specifically say NOT to mount the box to anything.
There it is. It's not field wiring, it's part of the fixture. That's the loophole, if you want to call it that.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #17
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
A shame there was no 110.3B for this unsecured buried octagon that took us hours to find under a fan & ceiling medallion

~CS~
In an older home always check under the fans, normally some scab installed them.
readydave8 likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:12 AM   #18
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I agree, it's just inefficient putting a bunch of small power supplies in rather than one central power supply.

LED lighting manufacturers don't want it to be efficient, they would rather sell lots of small power supplies than one big one.

They also don't want to make the low voltage cable generic if possible, better to sell you a proprietary cable if they can.

With a centralized power supply you're ahead the day it's installed, but when you have to do maintenance and troubleshooting when the power supplies start to die in ten years, you're way - way ahead.

(I am betting that the bite in the ass with LED lighting is that although the lamps last forever, the power supplies don't. IME with DC power supplies, only the really good ones don't fade over years of use, I seriously doubt the ones used for LED drivers are really good ones.)
Excellent points.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #19
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,926

Maybe my viewpoint is skewed but if demoing an area if I pulled out an old work can and it didn't have a jbox tail I'd figure to pull out more romex as it's just further back in the hole.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #20
Petulant Amateur

It seems like manufacturers have been in such a rush to copy Lotus that they haven't thought of improving or changing anything.