NMB in conduit - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LLSee
  • 1 Post By LLSee

Old 11-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Default NMB in conduit

Today I was asked to fix a home inspection for a realtor. When I started looking at all that needed to be done, I realized that some things would pose an issue that was existing. One of the many was two #12-2 romex wires feeding a water heater and ac unit along with the feeder for the sub panel was sleeved in conduit to the main panel outside. Maybe this was allowed back in the day, but knowing that it is a violation, I would have to change for my inspection to pass. I decided to re feed the water heater from the sub panel and re run the ac circuit with THWN in flex to a disconnect to the AC. This would free up the 2" conduit for me to run my SER cable in by itself to the main panel. I ran through several ways of fixing this. Im curious what other would have done.
LLSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLSee View Post
Today I was asked to fix a home inspection for a realtor. When I started looking at all that needed to be done, I realized that some things would pose an issue that was existing. One of the many was two #12-2 romex wires feeding a water heater and ac unit along with the feeder for the sub panel was sleeved in conduit to the main panel outside. Maybe this was allowed back in the day, but knowing that it is a violation, I would have to change for my inspection to pass. I decided to re feed the water heater from the sub panel and re run the ac circuit with THWN in flex to a disconnect to the AC. This would free up the 2" conduit for me to run my SER cable in by itself to the main panel. I ran through several ways of fixing this. Im curious what other would have done.
What makes you think sleeving romex is a violation? And which article is it violating?
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

@HackWork. Well I am going off Romex not being allowed in a wet location. Am I wrong in this? Believe me, I would love to leave it in there. Also having to derate the wires since there would be 6 current carrying conductors.
GroundFighter 78 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #4

Quote:
@HackWork. Well I am going off Romex not being allowed in a wet location. Am I wrong in this? Believe me, I would love to leave it in there.
You are correct about romex being prohibited in conduit outdoors.

The pipe is running outside? Or it goes into the back of a panel which is mounted facing outwards on an outside wall?

Quote:
Also having to derate the wires since there would be 6 current carrying conductors.
It's a sleeve, not a raceway. No derating.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply @HackWork The pipe is outside. Runs into the top of a main service panel.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the reply @HackWork The pipe is outside. Runs into the top of a main service panel.
I see. Looks like you did what you had to. One other possibility would have been switching to UF cable for the part that is outdoors.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #7
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,441

What’s NMB?
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Whats NMB?
Romex.

NM-B = Non-Metallic type B.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #9

Good old autocorrect. Good catch @99cents
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 16

The thing that caught my attention is #12 wire to the water heater. That should be #10.
Wiredindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #11

@Wiredindallas Exactly. Whoever did this before had a 50 amp breaker on number 10 wire. They had all kinds of things going wrong
Old 11-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
@Wiredindallas Exactly. Whoever did this before had a 50 amp breaker on number 10 wire. They had all kinds of things going wrong
Was the number 12 wire on a 30 amp breaker or 20 amp??

Was the number 10 wire on a 50 amp breaker powering an air-conditioner? That may be compliant.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #13

@hackeork The number 12 wire was on a 30 amp breaker feeding a water heater in the 50 amp breaker was on number 10 wire feeding a range.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #14

Quote:
@hackeork The number 12 wire was on a 30 amp breaker feeding a water heater in the 50 amp breaker was on number 10 wire feeding a range.
LOL, replaced it all! And charge a lot of money!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #15

That’s exactly what I’m doing Lol
HackWork likes this.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Quote:
@HackWork. Well I am going off Romex not being allowed in a wet location. Am I wrong in this? Believe me, I would love to leave it in there.
You are correct about romex being prohibited in conduit outdoors.

The pipe is running outside? Or it goes into the back of a panel which is mounted facing outwards on an outside wall?

Quote:
Also having to derate the wires since there would be 6 current carrying conductors.
It's a sleeve, not a raceway. No derating.
....does the code differentiate between a conduit sleeve and a raceway, or is he still limited to the 24" in 310.15 (B)(2)?
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:45 PM   #17
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,023

Quote:

There is a technical violation in the wording of your post. I'm sure you ran liquid tight flexible conduit and not "Greenfield flex". So I bother with these type of things so that apprentices and a few New Yorker's won't read it and think " hey, it sounds like it's ok to use flex conduit outside from what I read at ET...."
Old 11-24-2018, 11:58 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
There is a technical violation in the wording of your post. I'm sure you ran liquid tight flexible conduit and not "Greenfield flex". So I bother with these type of things so that apprentices and a few New Yorker's won't read it and think " hey, it sounds like it's ok to use flex conduit outside from what I read at ET...."
Thanks for clearing that up mike, phewww
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,120

Quote:
@HackWork. Well I am going off Romex not being allowed in a wet location. Am I wrong in this? Believe me, I would love to leave it in there. Also having to derate the wires since there would be 6 current carrying conductors.
The interior of a conduit in the wet location also being a wet location did not come about until 2008 IIRC.
mbednarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 1,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360max View Post
....does the code differentiate between a conduit sleeve and a raceway, or is he still limited to the 24" in 310.15 (B)(2)?
Romex beings limited to 60c ampacity does have 90c rated conductors and derates comes off the 90c column so he should be fine.
mbednarik is offline   Reply With Quote