Owner -project manager - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FaultCurrent

Old 03-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #1

Default Owner -project manager

So a question for those who do high rises.
I am beginning to run a job in a high rise hotel. The top floor sits 78’ off the ground level. I been doing some research and think that both NEC and IBC codes require 2hour fire rated wiring for elevators, and all emergencies circuits required for fire related situation. Meaning all elevator related, smoke removal fans, stairway pressurization, and the power circuits to the fire command center. Maybe others, but I think this covers the ones in this job.
IBC 27, and 30, NEC 700.10 .
The fire alarm is a “one up one down” system (as it was called to me) and has a mass evac system. It’s an 8 story hotel.
So I’m being told by the job super and my higher ups that I’m over thinking it and none of it applies. Am I? Or am I correct? I just want to try to prevent the nightmare later of haveing to come up with solutions to thhn inside emt for everything. By the way the fire pump will be ran underground under slab to address that 2 hour rating.
Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
68Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 919

You are over thinking it. Since the building is fully sprinklered (I assume) you are not required to have the 2 hr protection for the circuits you mentioned. The floor above and floor below voice evac is determined by the Fire Marshal and Fire Alarm Installer. Local jurisdiction call. Regardless, all those details should be supplied in the engineered plans.
No need to try and engineer it yourself. Submit an RFI if you feel strongly something is wrong and be prepared to back it up.
splatz likes this.

Grandpa was old, and he was slow. But he got there.
FaultCurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FaultCurrent For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (03-18-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,188

+1 for Fault's answer.

High rise = all systems professionally engineered, signed and sealed.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #4

Ok thanks for replies. The plans call out for elevator wiring to be 2 hr rated. Did not for the other items, so my concern was it was assumed we should. When I asked one or two others, the answer was no. But never said why. Like because of the sprinklers. And yes it’s fully sprinklered. I am glad to be wrong on those issues.

By the way, the plans call for the fire alarm to be “all devices back to the FACPin 3/4 conduit, no plenum cable” it’s a class A system. Those words are spelled out on drawings. Would that mean no MC or would Mc cable be equivalent? Yes it can’t be free aired wire, but would MC be ok?

Thanks for the responses
68Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Camaro View Post
Ok thanks for replies. The plans call out for elevator wiring to be 2 hr rated. Did not for the other items, so my concern was it was assumed we should. When I asked one or two others, the answer was no. But never said why. Like because of the sprinklers. And yes itís fully sprinklered. I am glad to be wrong on those issues.

By the way, the plans call for the fire alarm to be ďall devices back to the FACPin 3/4 conduit, no plenum cableĒ itís a class A system. Those words are spelled out on drawings. Would that mean no MC or would Mc cable be equivalent? Yes it canít be free aired wire, but would MC be ok?

Thanks for the responses

Are you talking wiring method in the shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DashDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8,516

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Camaro View Post
Ok thanks for replies. The plans call out for elevator wiring to be 2 hr rated. Did not for the other items, so my concern was it was assumed we should. When I asked one or two others, the answer was no. But never said why. Like because of the sprinklers. And yes itís fully sprinklered. I am glad to be wrong on those issues.

By the way, the plans call for the fire alarm to be ďall devices back to the FACPin 3/4 conduit, no plenum cableĒ itís a class A system. Those words are spelled out on drawings. Would that mean no MC or would Mc cable be equivalent? Yes it canít be free aired wire, but would MC be ok?

Thanks for the responses
You have to look in the specs and the shop drawings for the fire alarm system.
The plans are nice but the specifications supersede the plans.
It is going to come down to what the owner paid for and if what they paid for conforms to whatever fire ordinances the local Fire Marshal decides.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote