Stray voltage on heatsink..Eurilight ET8 1150H - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion > Recalls, Safety Notices and References

Like Tree2Likes

Old 02-17-2016, 12:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,813
Default Stray voltage on heatsink..Eurilight ET8 1150H

My facility is in the process of replacing the fluorescent T8's with Eurilight ET8-1150H's. While doing some energy and RF testing I found that the aluminum heatsink, which runs the entire length of the tube, was carrying voltage.

I have found voltages in various fixtures from ~20VAC all the way to 277VAC (in 277 configuration) and similar results in ballasted configuration. Voltage is being measured between the heatsink and the luminaire's metal frame.

The tubes display the same results whether in opposite end fed or same end fed configurations, typical of a hybrid. The tubes have similar results when put directly into ballasted single or double configurations. I have more testing (sample size) to do on the ballasted ones, but I am quite dismayed by what I am finding so far.

This cannot be right. This is exposed and should be at ground potential. I have never come across a piece of equipment which had (by design) exposed metal at line potential.

I am having an email discussion with someone who is relaying for an engineer. They want video...I am thinking of punctuating the meter test with a lightbulb connected between the heatsink and the frame.

Comments?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 01:30 AM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,847

Use a wiggy next time.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:40 AM   #3

Wiggy or Fluke, same result.

Oh, except at the output of the ballast. Fluke (43) wins there since the Wiggies usually have too low impedance.

I'm...glad you like my other avatar...?
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 02:03 AM   #4
Senile Member

In best Indian Accent (dot) : I like a lot of things........
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:17 AM   #5

Yah, I get that...I guess...not really sure where you are going with that...

I save the rhetoric for the Controversial Talk section.

I was looking for electricians who could help.

Thanks anyway.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Use a wiggy next time.
Oh, I see. You got that from my Disqus account. Yeah, I use a different avatar there.

Still...not sure why you went to all that trouble.

The Indian accent has me confused though.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:40 AM   #7
Senile Member

Was no trouble at all, rather accidental actually. Surfers rule
Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

So, there is a real voltage there and not just ghost? Can it power a load? Have you had a helper touch it?
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #9
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,416

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba_pete View Post

I have found voltages in various fixtures from ~20VAC all the way to 277VAC (in 277 configuration) and similar results in ballasted configuration. Voltage is being measured between the heatsink and the luminaire's metal frame.

The varying voltage does suggest induced voltage

This cannot be right.
You betcha !

I am having an email discussion with someone who is relaying for an engineer. They want video...I am thinking of punctuating the meter test with a lightbulb connected between the heatsink and the frame.
If it does light up, it's real power .... Post the video here !
Comments?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
emtnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 256

I second that. Im interested in see your findings as well.
theJcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,020

it doesn't seems ok but same problem that can happen with any led fixture that have a metal heatsink.
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliquir View Post
it doesn't seems ok but same problem that can happen with any led fixture that have a metal heatsink.
???

Really?

Why is that? Why would a manufacturer/designer do such a thing?

Down here in the U.S., I would start with specifically referring to the NEC :

410.5 Live Parts.
Luminaires, portable luminaires, lampholders, and lamps shall have no live parts normally exposed to contact.
I assume that the CEC has a similar code section.
In one scenario I can imagine, a store owner puts these T8's in their display cases where the customer could easily be shocked by them. It just seems so ludicrous.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #13
Senile Member

I still say it is your meter, cause there is an overcorrect device that is going to be noticing the issue, or else probably some smoke coming out of something or another.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
So, there is a real voltage there and not just ghost? Can it power a load? Have you had a helper touch it?
Well, yeah...there is real voltage there.

I can light a bulb between the heatsink and grounded parts of the luminaire.

No live subjects, yet.
brian john likes this.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
I still say it is your meter, cause there is an overcorrect device that is going to be noticing the issue, or else probably some smoke coming out of something or another.
The heatsink is not bonded, so it's an exposed terminal. It doesn't pop any breakers that way.

When I conducted the test with a light bulb it only worked for a second, then the unintended path in the tube's SMPS went to sh!t in a loud/magic-smoke-release kind of way.

Very exciting.

This brand/model of tube is hazardous.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJcK View Post
I second that. Im interested in see your findings as well.
Here are some of my test results:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are just initial findings. I haven't compiled a table for the ballasted fixture tests yet. I am finding similar conditions there, just at the driven frequency from the ballast.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 98

I think you said heat sink wasn't bonded(bad design imho). I guess what you really need to prove is touch potential. FWIW quick fix/ temporary fix run bond jumper?
Bird dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba_pete View Post
???

Really?

Why is that? Why would a manufacturer/designer do such a thing?

Down here in the U.S., I would start with specifically referring to the NEC :

410.5 Live Parts.
Luminaires, portable luminaires, lampholders, and lamps shall have no live parts normally exposed to contact.
I assume that the CEC has a similar code section.
In one scenario I can imagine, a store owner puts these T8's in their display cases where the customer could easily be shocked by them. It just seems so ludicrous.

i said that because most of led bulbs doesnt have ground pin so we cant ground them, but the heasinks are supposed to be floating, if you have voltage on it it is defective.
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliquir View Post
I said that because most of led bulbs doesnt have ground pin so we cant ground them, but the heatsinks are supposed to be floating, if you have voltage on it it is defective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
I think you said heat sink wasn't bonded(bad design imho). I guess what you really need to prove is touch potential. FWIW quick fix/ temporary fix run bond jumper?
Touch potential has been proven on my part.

When I bonded it the magic smoke got out.

This isn't phantom voltage, it's just a bad design.

I will be reverse engineering the SMPS inside the tube, if not for my own curiosity, then to better report it to my safety department as to the root cause. My guess is that the negative side of the power supply's output is supposed to be floating. Since the LED assembly is mounted to an external heat sink it presents an issue.
brian john likes this.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 7,223

Was the fixture made in China?
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stray voltage