Best Practice? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Other Codes and Standards


Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By HackWork
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Today, 12:27 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: California
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default Best Practice?

Just wanted some opinions on this; Installing a new panel and will be running a few new circuits to bath/kitchen etc and will be reconnecting old existing circuits into new breakers in new panel. Looking at the existing feeds most of them will be too short to fit nicely onside the new panel with sufficient free play to make a neat job of it, so somewhere I'll have to extend the old feeds somewhere, question is do I terminate those feeds (into a junction box) next to the panel or find somewhere out of the way so Im running new cable into the box for final connection. Just looking for opinions as to what would make a neater job, I think if I can find a location say 5/6 feet away that can accommodate a few junction boxes then run new cable into the panel? Thoughts please
stevetj is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Today, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 35,848
Rewards Points: 899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetj View Post
Just wanted some opinions on this; Installing a new panel and will be running a few new circuits to bath/kitchen etc and will be reconnecting old existing circuits into new breakers in new panel. Looking at the existing feeds most of them will be too short to fit nicely onside the new panel with sufficient free play to make a neat job of it, so somewhere I'll have to extend the old feeds somewhere, question is do I terminate those feeds (into a junction box) next to the panel or find somewhere out of the way so Im running new cable into the box for final connection. Just looking for opinions as to what would make a neater job, I think if I can find a location say 5/6 feet away that can accommodate a few junction boxes then run new cable into the panel? Thoughts please
Before we answer, can you tell us if your General Contracting company has the proper license (C-10) to do electrical work? Thank you.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: California
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

B License but this work is part of larger prime contract covering framing, pluming, mech etc.
stevetj is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Today, 07:25 PM   #4
Electron Pathway Engineer
 
The_Modifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: On cloud 9 in Ontario
Posts: 2,780
Rewards Points: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetj View Post
B License but this work is part of larger prime contract covering framing, pluming, mech etc.
Sorry, trying to understand (from Canada), does that mean you are a licensed electrical contractor?
__________________
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:38 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: California
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Class B allows you to perform most trades so long as the contract includes 2 others, if that makes sense? so if we are doing only electrical work we'd not be permitted, but if we are doing framing, plumbing, mechanical etc then we could, odd rule but kind of makes sense and presumably stop us going after just electrical contracts and stopes plumbers coming after framing work!
stevetj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:45 PM   #6
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 21,769
Rewards Points: 13,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetj View Post
Class B allows you to perform most trades so long as the contract includes 2 others, if that makes sense? so if we are doing only electrical work we'd not be permitted, but if we are doing framing, plumbing, mechanical etc then we could, odd rule but kind of makes sense and presumably stop us going after just electrical contracts and stopes plumbers coming after framing work!
Weird. I’m not telling. I like to see electricians working.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 35,848
Rewards Points: 899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetj View Post
Class B allows you to perform most trades so long as the contract includes 2 others, if that makes sense? so if we are doing only electrical work we'd not be permitted, but if we are doing framing, plumbing, mechanical etc then we could, odd rule but kind of makes sense and presumably stop us going after just electrical contracts and stopes plumbers coming after framing work!
But there’s nothing qualifying you as being an electrician, correct?
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:58 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: California
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

None, unless you count the 25 years + experience of construction (including electrical) Although I did learn that most electricians are pretty crap at doing as they're told and cleaning up after themselves and will usually sit with their arms crossed if there's a bit of 2x4 in their way. Mind you what did I expect posting on a forum for electricians other than 'we're electricians, you're not' nonsense.
stevetj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
jw0445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Pa.
Posts: 1,219
Rewards Points: 1,814
Default

Ibtl
jw0445 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
MotoGP1199's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 266
Rewards Points: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetj View Post
None, unless you count the 25 years + experience of construction (including electrical) Although I did learn that most electricians are pretty crap at doing as they're told and cleaning up after themselves and will usually sit with their arms crossed if there's a bit of 2x4 in their way. Mind you what did I expect posting on a forum for electricians other than 'we're electricians, you're not' nonsense.
This is great. Most electricians are crap. Can you tell me how to do your job. Good luck. If you can't figure this out you belong NO WHERE NEAR a panel. I doubt you will know all the little things that make the install safe. Hope you don't kill someone due to installing a screw or removing one that should be. You will ignore all of this, I'm sure and just attack us.
MotoGP1199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:32 PM   #11
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 21,769
Rewards Points: 13,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetj View Post
None, unless you count the 25 years + experience of construction (including electrical) Although I did learn that most electricians are pretty crap at doing as they're told and cleaning up after themselves and will usually sit with their arms crossed if there's a bit of 2x4 in their way. Mind you what did I expect posting on a forum for electricians other than 'we're electricians, you're not' nonsense.
You have been flagged. Bye.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bird dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: South East US
Posts: 5,540
Rewards Points: 824
Default

Because of liability we cannot give you advice. Either hire an EC or post on...
https://www.diychatroom.com/
__________________
EARTH FIRST! We'll strip-mine the other planets later.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Popcorn munching forum observer
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu
Bird dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:34 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: California
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Well done you prove my point in all its glory!
You ask an Electrician for an opinion and this is what you get.

Good luck and goodbye you moron
stevetj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:38 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
MHElectric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,227
Rewards Points: 4,672
Default



Lol
__________________
Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.
MHElectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com