Elevators - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Other Codes and Standards

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By MikeFL
  • 1 Post By HertzHound
  • 1 Post By Awg-Dawg

Old 11-06-2019, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default Elevators

I have 8 elevators on my job. Section 38-024(1) of the CEC says a separate branch circuit for an elevator pit. Is this interpreted as 1 cct.per pit? Engineers drawings show a group of 4 pits with 4 of the receptacles on one branch cct. and all 4 pit lights sharing another cct. I interpret this rule as 1 lighting cct and 1 receptacle cct. per pit.
johnniekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 844

What did the engineer say when you called him?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 410

Are you the Licenced electrician or an apprentice? I cannot tell from your profile because it hasn't been filled out...

It says separate branch circuit for an elevator pit... the way that you are interpreting it, for your 8 pits, you'll need 16 circuits... as MikeFL said, what did the engineer say?

16 circuits for 8 elevator pits? Man, I hope you're installing 1500 watt lights in each pit... Call the Engineer or ask your boss...
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 01:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,358

In the NEC the pit light can’t be on the same circuit as the pit receptacle. Usually three circuits when you add in the sump pump. Maybe CEC is similar?

I don’t think we have a code on limiting the separate circuits to one pit. So lighting would share a circuit, receptacle would Share a circuit and pumps would have dedicated circuits. Your sealed drawings seem to follow our code rules. I would just follow the drawings.

The machine room also gets its own receptacle circuit.

Last edited by HertzHound; 11-14-2019 at 01:44 AM.
HertzHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,358

Just for comparison:

Quote:
620.22 Branch Circuits for Car Lighting, Receptacle(s), Ventilation, Heating, and Air-Conditioning.
(A)Car Light Source.
A separate branch circuit shall supply the car lights, receptacle(s), auxiliary lighting power source, and ventilation on each elevator car. The overcurrent device protecting the branch circuit shall be located in the elevator machine room or control room/machinery space or control space.
Quote:
620.23 Branch Circuits for Machine Room or Control Room/ Machinery Space or Control Space Lighting and Receptacle(s).
(A)Separate Branch Circuits.
The branch circuit(s) supplying the lighting for machine rooms, control rooms, machinery spaces, or control spaces shall be separate from the branch circuit(s) supplying the receptacle(s) in those places. These circuits shall supply no other loads.
Quote:
620.24 Branch Circuit for Hoistway Pit Lighting and Receptacles.
(A)Separate Branch Circuits.
Separate branch circuits shall supply the hoistway pit lighting and receptacles.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 7,396

Is it a common pit or individual shafts?
Old 11-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 1,881

All I know about elevators is that elevator inspectors are free to write their own rules and electrical code is meaningless to them.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 778

I would think that if the NEC intended a separate circuit for each pit was required, then it would use the term, " Individual" branch circuit or "dedicated". I know the intent is not to have the receptacle and light together so that the service worker is not in the dark if he trips out the breaker while using the receptacle.
I concur with the previous comment, Ask the engineer.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
All I know about elevators is that elevator inspectors are free to write their own rules and electrical code is meaningless to them.
I had one tell me over and over that a pit is a wet location.

But when I asked what makes it a wet location , he said the pit makes it one and that I had to use raintight fittings and in use covers.

I asked him if he’d seen sumps in a basement of dwellings, he said yes but those are different.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.