Equivalent rule NEC / CEC - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Other Codes and Standards

Old 09-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
GNP

Rewards Points: 2
Default Equivalent rule NEC / CEC

HI All,

I was hoping someone could tell me if they know the NEC equivalent of CEC 12-3030.
I could read through the NEC but was hoping someone here might be able to help me shorten my search.

Thanks.

Ontario Electrical Safety Code (Twenty-seventh edition)

Section 12 — Wiring methods

12-3030 Insulated conductors in boxes, cabinets, or fittings
(see Appendix B)
· 1) Insulated conductors that are connected to different power or distribution transformers or other different sources of voltage shall not be installed in the same box, cabinet, or fitting unless
o a) a barrier of sheet steel not less than 1.3 mm thick or a flame-******ant, non-metallic insulating material not less than 1.6 mm in thickness is used to divide the space into separate compartments for the insulated conductors of each system;
o b) the insulated conductors are used for the supply and/or control of remote devices and are insulated for at least the same voltage as that of the circuit having the highest voltage and none of the insulated conductors of the circuits of lower voltages is directly connected to a lighting branch circuit; or
o c) the insulated conductors are used for the supply of a double-throw switch in an emergency lighting system.
· 2) Where a barrier is used, it shall be fastened rigidly to the box, cabinet, or fitting, or a device assuring positive separation of the insulated conductors shall be used.
GNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,841

300.3(C)(1)

Quote:
(C) Conductors of Different Systems.
(1) 1000 Volts, Nominal, or Less. Conductors of ac and dc
circuits, rated 1000 volts, nominal, or less, shall be permitted to
occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway.
All conductors shall have an insulation rating equal to at
least the maximum circuit voltage applied to any conductor
within the enclosure, cable, or raceway.
But there are some other possible issues, like if there are devices in this box, then a barrier might be required. There are also wire identification requirements.

If you tell us more about what you are doing, we can help better by focusing on that.

Last edited by HackWork; 09-10-2019 at 04:27 PM.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP View Post
HI All,

I was hoping someone could tell me if they know the NEC equivalent of CEC 12-3030.
I could read through the NEC but was hoping someone here might be able to help me shorten my search.

Thanks.
There is no equivalent. In Canada we can not mix voltages from different sources in the same raceway (some exceptions) but in the US they can.