Fcc 15 b - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Other Codes and Standards

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeFL

Old 04-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 132
Default Fcc 15 b

I do not know where to file this question so I will post here and in Lighting. Because of the concerns about LED drivers and RFI one of my customers is requesting that the fixtures comply with FCC 15 B. I read articles about the drivers affecting AFCI breakers and causing nuisance tripping. Now there is concern about interfering with radio communications. I requested this info from several major manufactures of LED luminaires but nobody seem to know what I am talking about. Does anybody have any experience with this required listing? I might have to resort back to the magnetic HPS lights. It is for parking lot lighting.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,386

I wonder if he means Part C which is unintentional radiators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:05 AM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,376

The FCC rules are in Title 47 of the US Code of Federal Requirements. Part 15 is about devices that do not require a license, including "incidental radiators" that basically leak some RF. Class A limits are for commercial devices, class B limits are for residential devices. The manufacturer is required to jump through some hoops (testing, verification, etc.) to comply.

The fine print on the label may include a declaration that the device complies with class B. There is TONS of stuff coming into the US from Chinese manufacturers dirt cheap on alibaba, Amazon marketplace, etc. that are not UL listed, FCC compliant, nothing.

If you stick with residential products from a reputable brand it's probably not an issue.

Some will have the FCC compliance on the sticker / nameplate, some may have the FCC logo on the sticker and the specifics regarding FCC class B or FCC class A in the spec sheet. For example

https://www.erglighting.com/product/...l-28-142v-swi/

Last edited by splatz; 04-27-2019 at 04:21 AM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #4

Thank you @splatz I was way off. You're correct.
It is Subpart B which is unintentional radiators.
splatz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 04-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,621

Are they experiencing RF problems with the new drivers, or is it just a company "requirement"? If they're UL listed, they should comply with the FCC regs.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,588

Welcome to Electrician Talk kb.
Thanks for taking the time to fill out your profile.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #7

I have read up on the FCC 15 B standard. The lights are for a government project and they require " American Made" and FCC 15 B compliant. The cheap overseas , and I mean cheap Home Depot stuff, lights have the documentation. It is the large lighting manufactures that cannot provide documentation. They will send me an email saying it meets standard but the Feds want documentation. We are not allowed to name products on the forum so I am leaving out the fixture manufactures that I use. I guess what I am asking is, How do I go about getting the listing? Or I go back to the old HPS lights? So much for the new technology.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Are they experiencing RF problems with the new drivers, or is it just a company "requirement"? If they're UL listed, they should comply with the FCC regs.

It is a government job and they are worried about radio interference. Older drivers caused problems with AFCI breakers and some with radio communications. That is why the standard was set up but it is very hard to find the " Class B "listings on fixtures.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:22 PM   #9

You can name a manufacturer on this site. People do it all the time. Model numbers too. And links to the data sheets. Post away.

What happens when you call the manufacturer?

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 04-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
You can name a manufacturer on this site. People do it all the time. Model numbers too. And links to the data sheets. Post away.

What happens when you call the manufacturer?
Lithonia and RAB. Both products that I have used before and really liked using them. Easy to install and well made. I sent email requests to both and they are checking into it. It is going on three weeks. I think the FCC15B standard came about because of the infant LED and cheap overseas Drivers. Most articles I read are from 5 or more years ago and I am wondering if listing is no longer provided because the newer, better made fixtures do not emit RFI anymore. I am also finding companies have a protocol. Sales rep - Factory rep - technical support- engineering- outdoor …. Right now I am at the outdoor support stage. It would be nice if the DATA sheets included it.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,444

You need to get on the phone and talk to a tech rep from Lithonia and RAB. they should be able to give you answers a lot quicker than the email route. I can't imagine that either of those companies don't comply with the regs?

Tim
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #12

Call their main phone number listed under their stock ticker profile on CNBC. Tell that person you need engineering support on a government contract.

(833) GPS-TIME

Tags
fcc 15 b, led drivers and rfi