ge magne blast breakers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Linework

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Apelectric
  • 1 Post By Apelectric

Old 05-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default ge magne blast breakers

Does anyone have experience with ge magne blast breakers? We perform maintenance, replace burnt coils, rack them in and out etc and today I was trying to figure out why they have controls on each side of the breaker? (Front of cubicle and back side of cubicle). No one is removing the back covers and working from there live (i hope).
Attached Images

Apelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #2

Would they use the backside before the station is live, for testing or making sure the stabs reach the bus, placement of the limits etc?
Old 05-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,303

What "controls" are you talking about? Charging ckt., trip/discharge? By "backside" are you referring to the bus section? Are you talking about the breaker itself, or the cubicle?
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,648

This is the ET member that would know.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/members/zog-6444/
Old 05-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
What "controls" are you talking about? Charging ckt., trip/discharge? By "backside" are you referring to the bus section? Are you talking about the breaker itself, or the cubicle?
By controls I am talking about the face of the breaker where you can manually operate it (open, close) , and view its status (closed, open, charged, discharged). By the front side, back side, I ment you have manually operated controls on the front (inside the substation facing you) and in the back of the breaker (facing the outer substation wall, where they are unreachable unless you removed the outer wall). The backside of the breaker would be just past the buswork, closer to the outside of the station
Old 05-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #6

Thank you wirenuting
Wirenuting likes this.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,218

Those breakers are probably late 40's or early 50's design we had several in 13.2KV and 2400 volt service.
Most if not all of ours were in outside metal enclosed substations. As I understand your question you want to know why some of the breakers are controlled from the front of the switchgear and why some are controlled from the back of the gear?

Probably the best answer is that were built as specified by the engineer. Big switchgear is not a off the shelf item each line up is custom built to a point but then it is built also to a ANSI standard. I know new gear is.

We had some gear that had all of the controls and relays on the back of the gear and the breaker rolled in the front then we had anouther that the relays and controls were on the front door of the breaker cell.
It all boils down to what the engineer wanted.

LC
Old 05-10-2018, 01:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Crapshooter View Post
Those breakers are probably late 40's or early 50's design we had several in 13.2KV and 2400 volt service.
Most if not all of ours were in outside metal enclosed substations. As I understand your question you want to know why some of the breakers are controlled from the front of the switchgear and why some are controlled from the back of the gear?

Probably the best answer is that were built as specified by the engineer. Big switchgear is not a off the shelf item each line up is custom built to a point but then it is built also to a ANSI standard. I know new gear is.

We had some gear that had all of the controls and relays on the back of the gear and the breaker rolled in the front then we had anouther that the relays and controls were on the front door of the breaker cell.
It all boils down to what the engineer wanted.

LC
The breakers are in outside metal enclosed substations. However my question is why do our breakers have controls on the front and the back of the breaker? Why would an engineer want that? The front is accessible, from within the substation. However the back of the breaker faces the metal wall of the substation, rendering it useless when racked in, unless you removed that section of the substation wall.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:50 AM   #9
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I might guess to make it universal for other gear.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
Zog

Rewards Points: 1,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apelectric View Post
The breakers are in outside metal enclosed substations. However my question is why do our breakers have controls on the front and the back of the breaker? Why would an engineer want that? The front is accessible, from within the substation. However the back of the breaker faces the metal wall of the substation, rendering it useless when racked in, unless you removed that section of the substation wall.
Are you referring to the pistol grip operators on the outside of the cubicle? Very hard to follow what is going on here.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #11

sorry if I am not describing my question well. I am not talking about the pistol grip controls in the substation. I am talking about the manual controls on the breaker itself. I circled the controls I am talking about in one photo and drew an arrow were there is an identical set of controls on our breakers.
Attached Thumbnails
ge magne blast breakers-20180510_114821_1525967559502.jpg  

ge magne blast breakers-20180510_114916_1525967572568.jpg  

Old 05-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 7,303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apelectric View Post
sorry if I am not describing my question well. I am not talking about the pistol grip controls in the substation. I am talking about the manual controls on the breaker itself. I circled the controls I am talking about in one photo and drew an arrow were there is an identical set of controls on our breakers.
A photo of the rear of the brkr. would be helpful. I've never seen controls on the backside of a brkr. as you've described. I don't see the point.
As far as testing, an umbilical control, or test stand, is standard.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #13
Zog

I don't see how that is even possible? The operating mech is on the front which is where your manual controls/indicators are and there are arc chutes on the back. No possible way to have another operating mech on the back?
Old 05-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
I don't see how that is even possible? The operating mech is on the front which is where your manual controls/indicators are and there are arc chutes on the back. No possible way to have another operating mech on the back?
The next time there is a feeder failure or we off load the station for trip testing I'll snap a photo, I thought it was going to be easy to find one online. But yes, there are two identical operating mechs, one in the front and one in the back, behind the probes and behind the arc chutes, its very odd looking.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #15
Zog

Are you sure it is a breaker and not a ground and test device like this?
Attached Thumbnails
ge magne blast breakers-img_4432.jpg  

Old 05-17-2018, 04:31 PM   #16

😳 that's embarrassing...... Yea it's a ground and test device. Just looks weird to me. My bad guys, guess i walked though the station alittle quicker then i thought i did.
QMED likes this.