Lineman Apprenticeship Questions - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Linework

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Southeast Power

Old 06-14-2017, 03:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Lineman Apprenticeship Questions

I will be brief. I am a married military vet with 3 kids. Married 17 years. Kids are teens. I am interested in breaking into the trade and have a few questions:

1. I know apprenticeship takes you all over the states within your region and lasts for about 3 years. How often are you moved from location to location. Are we talking a move every month or two or is it more stable?

2. I am 39 and in average shape. Am I too old to start as a lineman?

I think I would be good at this and want a career change. My main concern is that I also know children (especially of teens) need stability. I worry I would have to drag my wife and kids all over the state every few months and dont think it would be healthy.

I just need some real talk, guys.

-Joe
joebaggadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 04:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 855

Hi, welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service. Wish I had some good news for ya, but.......I've been tryin for years to figure out how to get work to come to me, but I have con-cluded that aint goin to happen. The thing about the linemans local is, it aint so local. But, you'll get most likely get per diem, so you can put the wife and kids up in a nearby hotel.
What local you lookin at? Riverside?
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply so quickly. I need to know specifically how much travel is involved. To clarify, how often will my apprenticeship move me from one location to the next. weekly, monthly or once a year? I know it varies. But, I need some kind of idea. I actually applied with Mountain States JATC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 05:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

For me, pushing 40 is about the time to get off the pole and not on one. As far as traveling, the family might be used to it if you were separated during deployment.
My opinion is that you need to be there for teenagers or they will find someone that will.
I think I would look to go inside wireman, find a federal government job, or contininue my education.

You asked.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:43 AM   #5

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 06:51 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 855

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaggadonuts View Post
Thanks for the reply so quickly. I need to know specifically how much travel is involved. To clarify, how often will my apprenticeship move me from one location to the next. weekly, monthly or once a year? I know it varies. But, I need some kind of idea. I actually applied with Mountain States JATC.
It's impossible to even guess where, or when, or how long. During the last fire season I heard Edison had some 3000 wooden poles to replace. You may be working in the boonies, but you can drive anywhere in the state in 8 hrs or less. (usually)
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apprentice, apprenticeship, lineman