Utilities - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Linework

Old 08-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #1

Default Utilities

I live up north ny/nj area were the utility companies pseng ,con Edison ,Orange n rockland etc hire directly from the ibew njact neat apprenticeship programs and the wrk is done directly through the utility companies .

I recently found out that down south
The utility companies can sub out the wrk to pri contractors that are non union and do not have to have the men go through apprenticeship programs , which can lead to the men not being trained properly , with low wages and no retirement.

I looked up some articles on the lineman site and a big name came up pike electric seems like my suspicions were right on .

A lot of the men that wrk for this companie complain of low wages unsafe conditions etc.

They are also the only show in town and they know it , so the men cannot speak up and have to tolerate the poor wrking conditions .

It was just shocking to me suddenly I live up north I have never seen any type of line wrk being done by a pri contractor exp non union and always was under the impression that this applied to most of the states.
Fist of lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 976

We have several line work companies locally that support the utilities in New England and I can't speak to whether they are union or non union.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:14 PM   #3

Interesting I thought New England would be similarly to nj/ ny but I guess not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 304

https://southerncompany-lineman.jobs...31BB0765A/job/

UNASSIGNED APPRENTICE LINEMAN-1 (UAL-1) for Distribution Organization - GEORGIA STATEWIDE

Georgia Power's line crews play an integral part in Georgia's economy. Hospitals, government agencies, schools, businesses, and individuals will be relying on line crews to provide reliable electric service. If you're looking for a career in which you can make a difference and serve Georgians, consider becoming an Apprentice Lineman for Georgia Power!

Our Unassigned Apprentice Lineman (UAL-1) positions are typically located throughout the state of Georgia. Your ability to work anywhere in the state could be a factor in any hiring decisions. Flexibility in desired work locations is essential for progression through the Lineman Development Program. All candidates must be available to work within a certain distance of their assigned operating headquarters (upon hire). No relocation assistance is available.

----------------------------------------------------------

Pay: This is a position covered by a collective bargaining agreement between GPC and IBEW Local 84. Union membership is optional. Current starting pay for ALL NEW HIRES is $3,599 /month or approximately $20.76/hour. UAL-1 candidates who receive job offers will be hired at this rate, regardless of experience/skills. This rate is non-negotiable.
Wardenclyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,894

Pike showed up in the FPL service area the day after Hurricane Charley (2004) and never left.

MasTech has been around forever. They used to be Burnip & Sims out of Lithonia, GA. After Jose Mas bought the company the HQ moved to Miami.

They both do lots of contract work for FPL as do others (including some of our customers).

FPL covers 51% of the state of Florida. They were bought out by NextEra Energy maybe 10+ years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:34 AM   #6
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 328

I’ve used Mastec and Pike. Workmanship and quality is nearly the same with both. I’ve never had a complaint or issue. Mastec is more corporate attitude. It’s been getting steadily worse. Pike is different. Each foreman can almost run their crew independently so it depends on the foreman. It’s either the best or worst company to linemen but in general Pike treats their people MUCH better than others in the Carolinas area. Both know their stuff. Union does not even apply here. It’s a right to work state. To the point where they are exempt across the board from state licensing, inspections, PEs, etc. Duke has that much influence. Duke is iron fisted about procedures and both tow the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,106

There are many private companies that do contract linework in NJ and NY. Just read the name on the trucks out of the roads.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
There are many private companies that do contract linework in NJ and NY. Just read the name on the trucks out of the roads.
I know a few that do some high voltage work that are pri contractors help like help build sub stations ,running high tension high voltage cable .but the contractors that I see are always union .

But as far as everyday line work I always see the utility companies doing the wrk .

I will keep my eye out from now on but I really havnt seen pri contractors in bucket trucks up on the poles . Every service drop , and hook up its always been utility guys doing the wrk that I’ve seen .
Old 08-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of lightning View Post
I know a few that do some high voltage work that are pri contractors help like help build sub stations ,running high tension high voltage cable .but the contractors that I see are always union .

But as far as everyday line work I always see the utility companies doing the wrk .

I will keep my eye out from now on but I really havnt seen pri contractors in bucket trucks up on the poles . Every service drop , and hook up its always been utility guys doing the wrk that I’ve seen .

A service drop, disconnect, reconnect is normally done in house by a trouble man/crew.

Maintenance is done by a service crew.

Most often reconstruction is contractors.

Relative of mine was President at an IBEW JCP&L local for a very long time.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of lightning View Post

I will keep my eye out from now on but I really havnt seen pri contractors in bucket trucks up on the poles . Every service drop , and hook up its always been utility guys doing the wrk that I’️ve seen .

A service drop, disconnect, reconnect is normally done in house by a trouble man/crew.

Maintenance is done by a service crew.

Most often reconstruction is contractors.

Relative of mine was President at an IBEW JCP&L local for a very long time.
very interesting ok
Cool good to know

But deff up north all linework I have seen has been done through the ibew .
Old 08-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 134

Here in central and northern CA, PG&E is so back-logged that I've seen Henkels/McCoy...Par Electric...Contra Costa and others doing work for them.And all are IBEW contracted companys.
radio208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio208 View Post
Here in central and northern CA, PG&E is so back-logged that I've seen Henkels/McCoy...Par Electric...Contra Costa and others doing work for them.And all are IBEW contracted companys.
I watched a lot of videos on how the workers at ph&e. Unionized and the struggles they went through it was preety interesting .

Wow ok I guess it’s more normal to see contractors doing linework than I thought .

Glad to see in Cali the utility companies pull from the hall when dealing with the pri contractors .

I was reading up on pike electrcial I found some really disturbing things on those guys . Hope it’s not all true
Old 09-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks for the Insight..
Jeaniecary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,406

"Wrk"