Chandelier Canopy Conundrum - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin_Essiambre
  • 1 Post By Bird dog
  • 1 Post By JackFrost
  • 1 Post By Dennis Alwon
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Chandelier Canopy Conundrum

I have a customer with a custom made wrought iron canopy for a 75+ pound chandelier. I'm pretty new to this and I don't know what all the holes in it are for. I've never seen one like this. Well shoot this page won't allow me to post a link to the photos because I have not yet posted 20 times.

Thanks,
Jack
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #2
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFrost View Post
I have a customer with a custom made wrought iron canopy for a 75+ pound chandelier. I'm pretty new to this and I don't know what all the holes in it are for. I've never seen one like this. Well shoot this page won't allow me to post a link to the photos because I have not yet posted 20 times.

Thanks,

Jack
A fixture weighing that much must be independently supported... I.E., other than the electrical box... at lease where I am in Canada. That's probably why there are a bunch of holes.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
JackFrost likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,318

You might get more answers if you filled out your profile.
The_Modifier likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
A fixture weighing that much must be independently supported... I.E., other than the electrical box... at lease where I am in Canada. That's probably why there are a bunch of holes.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
I'm using four 2" 3/16" lag screws to afix the box to an 8" X 5" white oak beam. That accounts for four of the holes but that's in the box.

Thanks for your response. It is almost impossible to visualize this thing.

Houzz allowed me to post the photos in their lighting and electrical fora. I don't know if I will get very informed responses there but at least I could post the photos.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,162

Check your pm, Jack
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
JackFrost (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #6

Here are the pics. Sorry I have to leave.... someone maybe can help

Last edited by Dennis Alwon; 06-08-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #7

Thanks Dennis!!!
Old 06-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #8

Well here's the thing-- Is this UL listed or some third party listed. If not then you should not be installing it. Without more pictures of the fixture it would be very hard to guess at what those canopies are used for.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #9
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,780

I am not too comfortable with that style of canpony to support 40 KG chanlander luminaire.

is that a local company made or do you have a company info you can posted sometime once you posted we can give you more info on how it mounted.

I would not use that short a lag screws at all . I would use longer screw and use the impact driver to drive those long arse screws in the beam.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I am not too comfortable with that style of canpony to support 40 KG chanlander luminaire.

is that a local company made or do you have a company info you can posted sometime once you posted we can give you more info on how it mounted.

I would not use that short a lag screws at all . I would use longer screw and use the impact driver to drive those long arse screws in the beam.
Thanks!

The screws are rated at around 600 lbs each pullout from yellow pine. The guy who made the fixture makes fancy fixtures for ski lodges and movie stars in Santa Barbara, CA. His name is Hans Duus. I kinda lost faith in him with I saw those two little brass screws. I would not trust them with 75 pounds of wrought iron three feet above my head at the dining room table.
Signal1 likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post

dub dub dub dot hansduusblacksmith dot com
Old 06-09-2019, 07:27 AM   #12

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #13

The reason this is so difficult is that the fixture is not listed and therefore cannot be installed legally
Moonshot180 likes this.
Closed Thread