DMX Lighting - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 2 Post By Easy
  • 1 Post By RAD COM

Old 04-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32
Default DMX Lighting

I have installed my first DMX lighting control system using Philips Color-Kinetic fixtures and a Nicolaudie Stick-2 controller. Has anyone had any experience with any of these systems?
RAD COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #2

have now connected my system in a working environment for a client. The Stick is connected to the Color Kinectic driver via a Cat-5 wire that is just under 100' in length. The only problem I am having is the with the contact closure feature. I am using a stand alone Leviton wall box timer to trigger the system on at sunset. The system worked perfectly when I connected the timer directly to the Stick but when I added in the 100' run of CAT-5 the Stick is seeing too much resistance and thinks it is an open circuit. It will turn the system on but not off. If I touch the contact closure leads together at the Stick it function flawlessly. The timer I am using adds @ 3 Ohms resistance to the circuit. The solution I see is one of four options, find a timer that has less resistance, add in a mini relay between the timer and the Stick, or relocate the timer closer to the Stick, or upgrade the Stick power supply. Does anyone know if upgrade the Stick power supply would have any impact? Right now I am using a 6 Volt 350mA unit where the positive and negative are powered by single conductors of the CAt-5. If I provide more power on the input of the Stick will it therefore provide more power to the contact closure?
Old 04-29-2020, 10:44 PM   #3
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 492

In this day and age I'd have used a IP based system rather than DMX... IMHO, DMX is for stages and live shows.

I have no experience with these systems, so unfortunately I cannot help. Someone else might be able to.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,490

Wow man. Your asking questions way deeper into the lighting controls realm than I have any clue about. I just install it. People with bigger brains than me design it.

We used to have a guy here named "lighting man" (or something) and he knew everything about lighting controls and all that stuff. Don't know if he still is around but you might shoot him a PM.

Good luck.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,988

I actually tried to find some literature on the Stick 2 controller and came up empty handed. Slick 1, Slick GU2, KE2 and may others all have some information and that is quite helpful. I just don't see anything on the Slick 2.
I don't really see the point of adding an external timer because all of the other models seem to control timing functions via the software. I would try using a CAT-6 or even a CAT 5e cable to see if that cures the problem. I am very curious to see how this works out for you as I am about to purchase a Slick GU2 to control 4 zones of RGB lights. You might also review your DMX channel assignments as they can be a real pain to get set up correctly. Can you please provide me with the exact model number of the unit you have or post a picture of it. Thanks
Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,592

Old thread I know.

I thought that if you run Cat6 for DMX, you need to run shielded Cat6? Otherwise run whatever Belden wire is suggested. Belden 9729?

But I never used the set up you are using. I am thinking about ETC lighting racks
Old 07-18-2020, 11:28 PM   #7
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 22,691

I used to work with an engineer who formerly had my dream job: He was a roady on the light show crew for the Pink Floyd trio shows. Moved to New York. He called me up last Christmas season but I lost his number that I wrote down.
Easy likes this.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertzHound View Post
Old thread I know.

I thought that if you run Cat6 for DMX, you need to run shielded Cat6? Otherwise run whatever Belden wire is suggested. Belden 9729?

But I never used the set up you are using. I am thinking about ETC lighting racks
That would be another way of doing it. The cable I use looks like instrument cable but it's different. 2 conductor and a shield and has DMX stamped on it. I only dabble in DMX so I'm no expert. I have read that a 120 ohm terminating resistor should be placed at the end of the control run right before you get to the last fixture. "Incorrect or missing termination is probably the single most common reason for faulty DMX512 systems."
HertzHound and paul-gordon like this.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #9

Default Stick 2 controller

I can't post a link yet but if you search e-bay for a Stick GU2 the unit I am using will pop up. It was a fun unit to play with and for the price seems like the best available. I used up most of its memory programming a simulated flame scene, too many channels making too many steps. Simple scenes like a blue fade to off in appreciation of the essential workers was a big hit. This unit does not have an astronomical clock so it won't turn on nightly. I must admit it took me a year to actually get the software to communicate to the lights. I think it was a either a bad EOL resistor or mismatch domain setting. I can only recommend buying mismatched used stuff of the web if you have patience.
Easy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RAD COM For This Useful Post:
paul-gordon (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 10:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD COM View Post
I can't post a link yet but if you search e-bay for a Stick GU2 the unit I am using will pop up. It was a fun unit to play with and for the price seems like the best available. I used up most of its memory programming a simulated flame scene, too many channels making too many steps. Simple scenes like a blue fade to off in appreciation of the essential workers was a big hit. This unit does not have an astronomical clock so it won't turn on nightly. I must admit it took me a year to actually get the software to communicate to the lights. I think it was a either a bad EOL resistor or mismatch domain setting. I can only recommend buying mismatched used stuff of the web if you have patience.
This all sounds cool but my adventures with DMX have been anything but friendly the past few days. I have had my eye on the Slick GU2 and I was going to try and convince the customer to get one. Unfortunately title 24 really ate into our budget. After hearing your description I probably would look for something more simplistic.
I hate call backs for programming because my brain is fading in my old age.